Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stun Resist and Shadow Trickster

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Stun resist: not very useful to optimize. Even if you have 50% stun resist (which would be extremely hard to get without major sacrifices) the best case scenario is that you don't have to put up a stun block before going into Shrike. Worst case scenario, you lose the coin flip and get stunned into a dispel and murder yourself with your backlash. Why would I bother farming for hard-to-get resilient opals and probably making other sacrifices in my gear to achieve high stun resist when I can just put up a stun block and almost turn off my opponent's stuns for the rest of the match? I have very rarely seen people attempting to stun someone into a stun block because it's a waste of their turn.
Solution: get rid of stun resist and make it into a more useful stat. Stunning is binary, either you're stunned or you aren't, so the only way to reduce that is to add RNG, which we have enough of. I understand this feels like a cop-out, but the stat seems legitimately pointless to me.

Shadow Trickster: is useless so long as Shrike exists in its current form. Shrike gives 10% more damage AND 50% pierce, which is easily comparable to doubling your damage output. Trickster gives a 60% increased chance to critical (which is like maybe 40% more damage) and is even less useful now that people critical so frequently with the Karamelle critical changes. Trickster also has a more relevant drawback than Shrike (you're not going to want to heal in Shrike since that would increase your backlash, but critical block is relevant pretty much any time you're taking a hit) and shares the same weaknesses as Shrike (getting locked out of doing certain things will prevent you from reducing your backlash, causing you to take more damage). If the best case is worse than Shrike, and the worst case is also slightly worse than Shrike, why would anyone ever use this?
Solution: Focus the Trickster on doing more critical damage by one of the following:
1. Critical rating is multiplied by 1.6 while in Trickster. Same goes for similar effects such as Vengeance auras.
2. Critical hits in Trickster deal double damage 100% of the time (assuming they land).
I'm not convinced this will be enough to make Shadow Trickster popular, but at least it won't be a garbage fire like it is now.