Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can you let us mark maps?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Running daily assignments, it is a bit of a pain to hunt down some of the creatures. I wind up working out a search pattern to go over every area in the zone until I find the critter. I don't mind doing it once, but then a few days or weeks later, an assignment comes up for the same creature, by then I've forgotten where it is, and have to run the search again -- this feels more annoying than hunting the creature down the first time. What I would like to be able to do, after finding the critter once, is mark the location on the zone map so I can find it again without running a tedious search.

This could become just a regular part of the daily assignment feature, the first time you get assigned a creature, you have to hunt it down, but once you get that first pekron measurement the creature gets marked on your map so that when Aegon Statz inevitably sends you back for a repeat measurement you can run straight to it.

However, I have a broader feature in mind. Rather than adding code specifically to support daily assignments, how about just adding a more universal feature that would allow players to mark their zone maps in a very flexible way?

You find a quest goal or other cool feature you know you'll want to come back to again later, open up your map, and then click this new way cool "add marking" (or whatever you want to call it) button. You get a window that let's you pick an icon, conceptually just like the circular icons the game currently adds to maps as you quest, except with some distinction to make it clear it is player added -- perhaps the icon has a different color border or is pentagonal rather than circular. Then after picking the icon, you get to add a text description that displays when the icon is moused over on the map.

The icons could be context sensitive: something like the last three things you interacted with -- monsters, npcs, quest goals (zeke quest items!), reagents or whatever -- show up in the list of icons you can choose from, alongside some generic choices like cool thing to see, helpful vendor, I died last time I fought this, great place to take screenshots, etc.

I understand it is possible to do this yourself with paper maps. Take a screenshot of the zone map, use paint or whatever to add markings, print it out, and store it in a 3-ring binder or just a cheap paper folder. Next time you have trouble remembering exactly where something was, consult your trusty binder. But realistically, this is way more trouble to go through than most people want to bother with, and not everyone has access to tools like printers and hole punches and binders