Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is there anyway to avoid health damage when using the shadow spells?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 10, 2009
As an example, since the recent update, I cannot use Dark Shepard without getting health damage even though I cast blades and/or traps immediately following using the spell because the 10% reduction is not applied when I cast my second blade or trap - what's going on?

Survivor
May 08, 2016
Shadow magic is super overpowered. When it was first released back in Khrysalis, it was supposed to be some "forbidden" magic that would tear you apart. That's why people like Merle never used shadow. It's seen as dark magic. Now, shadow magic has no risk. You could just shrike and never have to worry about backlash. What's the point about shadow magic then? Without some drawbacks, it'd just be a random get out of jail card that you get based on RNG. I'm glad KI is making changes to shadow magic, and I hope to see it changed more to the "shadow-infused" spells.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2009
I know that if you don't do the things that the shadow likes, you're going to get hurt (and even increase the damage); I was hoping that KI would say yay or nay that the spell have been officially changed and is not just bugged. For that matter, why do players get damage but the bosses don't when they use the shadow spells?

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
AlexisLifeheart on May 27, 2020 wrote:
I know that if you don't do the things that the shadow likes, you're going to get hurt (and even increase the damage); I was hoping that KI would say yay or nay that the spell have been officially changed and is not just bugged. For that matter, why do players get damage but the bosses don't when they use the shadow spells?
Because wizards aren't twisted by the shadows. Its a dark entity that consumes ones soul mwahahhaha. No for real thought look at Malistare loses everything for the sake of power. Also I just think its a way to balance pvp. Bosses on the other hand take damage as well, more even so because they norm don't take full advantage of shadow spells and i think its one less rounds for them. I want Grandfather spider to be my mentor and teacher so i could surpass him and reign chaos across the spiral.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2009
the boss are only damaged by their shadow spells if they don't do the things the shadows like...

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
All you can do is make sure you fit as many likes as you can in before your time is up to minimize damage it will be difficult to get to zero backlash since they nerfed shriek for pvp. spells like daybreaker and nightbringer can probably let you fit several likes in one turn so you technically can get enough to get back to zero but that can be difficult.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
A long, long time ago, you used to always take at least 10% backlash. You started at 30% backlash, but you couldn't go below 10% no matter how many likes you used.
A long time ago, shadow magic was changed to let you reduce backlash to 0. I always thought that was silly and didn't fit the description that was given to you about shadow.
Not so long ago, shadow magic was nerfed. You start at 40% backlash now and can only reduce it by a maximum of 10% per round, so to my knowledge you will always take at least 10% backlash.