Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Quality of Life Updates

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 22, 2009
Okay I thought of some ideas to bring to the community.... Let me know what you think....

UPDATE 1: Wizard City needs to be free for all players and the first part of Krokotopia should be.

Why? > Well players don't like to be limited by pay walls and this wouldn't hurt you guys too much.
If you did this, MORE PLAYERS will come!
UPDATE 2: We should have a badge and armor set with special graphics for those who completed all quests, maxed Fishing,Monstrology and Gardening..( Not sure about pvp and pet racing) Up to you guys.. It'll give people a reason to play and have more of a PVE goal instead of PVP.
Why? > Not everybody wants to PVP lets be realistic.. If we had PVE based goals it would stretch out completed content! Now that's fun!
UPDATE 3: Guilds! Why don't we create them? Have guild wars.. Have a guild camp to make your guild maybe a max of 100-500 players or. Add a rank to how much content they completed and make a point system?
Why? It would add more fun content! Totally worth mentioning! Players will have a new cool system to look up too!
What do you guys think? Please reply..

Survivor
Jul 24, 2013
Here is what I think of the above post:

1 - Wizard City should be entirely-free-to-play as well as the Oasis

I don't think that will be a good idea. Yes, a lot of people are complaining about paying out 3750 or having a membership just for Wizard City and while I think that the Three Streets should be added to the free to play realm (it wouldn't be that hard to do - a long time ago Pirate101 only have the main Skull Island city and Troggy Island as Free to Play and you couldn't go into the Blood Shoals cave to complete the next quest without a paywall before they decided to make the cave free to play as well as a new quest that led the Pirates to meet Aztecosaurs and connect Azteca to Pirate101!) adding in the main hub of Krokotopia would be asking too much since they already repriced all of Krokotopia to be three large areas costing 3500 crowns each. They'd have to do another repricing.

I do think that the other streets(Cyclops Lane and Firecat Alley) should become Free to Play(and by connection, Dark Cave), but that should be it. Colossus Boulevard, Sunken City and Crab Alley can still be 750 crowns each. It would reduce the Wizard City zoning from 3750 Crowns to 2250 Crowns but that would still allow KI to milk players of Wizard City without cutting off half of the world. There isn't enough content in Unicorn Way and Triton Avenue to keep new players interested. But KI has its generosity limits and demanding The Oasis be free too is asking way too much.

UPDATE 2: Give armor sets for people who have completed all quests, maxed Fishing,Monstrology and Gardening!

They already have badges for those things. I know having a little title you have to mouse on your character for isn't as awesome as a full set of kit but you forget that programming in new armor sets takes time and money for KI which could be better spent on, say, a new story arc or side world. Besides, these things aren't set in stone: Chances are they'll give more ranks to fishing, monstrology and gardening and they'll always have more story quests, so 100% quests is impossible. I agree they could give rewards to players who dedicate themselves to things over than PvP or the Beastmoon Hunt but most players just play for PvP. It's sad but true, look at all the people who avoid side-quests like the plague just to get to max level so they can buy Infection and a ton of mega snacks to make their PvP pet that can may cast Conviction and Shatter.

IDEA 3: GUILDS!!!!

NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT. THIS IS NOT WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

In honesty, guilds would ruin Wizard101. As a former recovering MapleHenneWhore, I know that MapleStory has guilds and they are a pain to get into and a pain to be in. You have to do a lot of stupid things in game to get rewards from the guild and I just want to quest, not have to drop everything and teleport to the guild hall and team up with players to do some boring quest I did at Level 30 and don't give two jacks about just for a low-rank set of gear. We already have house parties and house games and whatnot, we don't need guild halls.

If you want to get your friends together and call yourselves a guild, fine by me, but don't demand Wizard101 program in a guild system.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
The decorative aspect of this post, I have to applaud the effort.

Now, your ideas. Here are my thoughts;

Making Wizard City Free - An idea that has been suggested time and time again and it's one I continue to disagree with. Instead of making the entirety of Wizard City "free," I opted for making either Cyclops Lane or Firecat Alley free. The player will decide which one they will want to be granted accessed to.

We need to be cautious in how we use the term "free," so loosely. KI has also placed measures in place allowing for first time monthly memberships to be available at a discounted rate. Additionally, the game occasionally has benefits which actually does open the entirety of Wizard City for a limited time.

Badges - Not a bad idea, many of us have placed great efforts in completing all side activities to it's maximum. A badge to showcase this would be nice.

Guilds - Let's be careful with how we use the term "war," here. Remember the primary audience this game attracts. We want to keep the game within a very friendly and family setting.

Introducing war like mechanisms may deter from this overall standard KI has worked acidulously to maintain.

Other ideas such as:

Overhaul update on spells - Looks, graphics, timing (some are too long such as Forest Lord, Ra) etc. This would be welcomed graciously.

Potential Name Change - May be more difficult to do, but nonetheless, would be much appreciated.

Pet Talent Overhaul - As it stands, the current system depends heavily on luck too much. It would be good for at a cost of crowns (not gold), players are available to remove an unwanted talent, reset the pet one stage lower and try training the pet again.
An option would also be available for all snacks utilized to be returned (would be more expensive of course).
An idea I definitely think is worth looking into.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2013
I don't think Forest Lord will really change, although they could change it to act like Lord of Atonement and the other variant Forest Lords to speed it up a bit. But it's a classic.

Ra, I think, can just fire a giant laser that fries everyone at once. That or at least not slam his ankh down every time he attacks!

KI has updated the low-level spells to look nicer, it wouldn't hurt to do a few updates for higher-level spells, like that ugly Fire Dragon.

For Pet Talents, I am superstitious and believe that you will get certain talents when certain stats are maxed out 100% of the time. That's not true(my Death's Ghastly Opposum got Death Ward instead of Death Boon) but I think KI should reprogram their pet talent granting so that is the case, higher stats in Agility and Will might proc learning Fairy Friend or Spell Proof more often.

Delver
Dec 13, 2008
Star Edward on Jan 20, 2020 wrote:
The decorative aspect of this post, I have to applaud the effort.

Now, your ideas. Here are my thoughts;

Making Wizard City Free - An idea that has been suggested time and time again and it's one I continue to disagree with. Instead of making the entirety of Wizard City "free," I opted for making either Cyclops Lane or Firecat Alley free. The player will decide which one they will want to be granted accessed to.

We need to be cautious in how we use the term "free," so loosely. KI has also placed measures in place allowing for first time monthly memberships to be available at a discounted rate. Additionally, the game occasionally has benefits which actually does open the entirety of Wizard City for a limited time.

Badges - Not a bad idea, many of us have placed great efforts in completing all side activities to it's maximum. A badge to showcase this would be nice.

Guilds - Let's be careful with how we use the term "war," here. Remember the primary audience this game attracts. We want to keep the game within a very friendly and family setting.

Introducing war like mechanisms may deter from this overall standard KI has worked acidulously to maintain.

Other ideas such as:

Overhaul update on spells - Looks, graphics, timing (some are too long such as Forest Lord, Ra) etc. This would be welcomed graciously.

Potential Name Change - May be more difficult to do, but nonetheless, would be much appreciated.

Pet Talent Overhaul - As it stands, the current system depends heavily on luck too much. It would be good for at a cost of crowns (not gold), players are available to remove an unwanted talent, reset the pet one stage lower and try training the pet again.
An option would also be available for all snacks utilized to be returned (would be more expensive of course).
An idea I definitely think is worth looking into.

i would love if there was a system that at each pet lvl up it gives you 3 options to choose a talent in the pets talent pool per lvl minus ultra since its primarily a jewel rank and pay 500 crowns to reroll the choices it would help stop soooo many failures and help get better pets out to people and the worry about too many people having op pets lets be real kingsisle is nerfing so much stuff this year that this being an issue is pretty much a trivial thing to argue about in all honesty and its not like its gonna break the game

Survivor
May 09, 2016
WC should totally be 100% free. It's not about the money, it's about attracting new players. There's plenty of other content in this game to charge for.

Wizard101 doesn't offer players enough of a free trial as necessary in order to get them invested into the game, especially story wise.

There's nothing wrong with pay walls. The current wall in W101 is simply in an incredibly awkward place. Let people complete the first, smallest arc of the story. Let them get addicted to the idea of leveling up, exploring and getting through the story instead of blocking them out after they complete even the tiniest portion of the story as it is now.

It's not being greedy either. No one that's made it beyond the first few worlds really cares about WC anymore. They've already unlocked all the important areas there which are all accessible to free accounts. And if you've owned the various areas of WC before they were turned free, I'm sure KI can give you an exclusive item to say "Thanks for being a vet and having been with us for this long."

Survivor
May 09, 2016
Oh and another reply to talk about the other big idea: guilds. Most games have them in some form, whether they're called guilds, clans, clubs or whatever.

They'd be neat, but it also has to be done right. Guilds are amazing because they enhance the social aspect of the game. Community is good. The problem with guilds or anything like that is it has to be done right.There has to be lots of tools for these "guilds" to organize themselves, hang out and socialize. There has to be activities for them to do together. These activities can't be too rewarding though, otherwise it ends up being a grind, and people feel forced into joining them.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2013
Kuranado on Mar 25, 2020 wrote:
WC should totally be 100% free. It's not about the money, it's about attracting new players. There's plenty of other content in this game to charge for.

Wizard101 doesn't offer players enough of a free trial as necessary in order to get them invested into the game, especially story wise.

There's nothing wrong with pay walls. The current wall in W101 is simply in an incredibly awkward place. Let people complete the first, smallest arc of the story. Let them get addicted to the idea of leveling up, exploring and getting through the story instead of blocking them out after they complete even the tiniest portion of the story as it is now.

It's not being greedy either. No one that's made it beyond the first few worlds really cares about WC anymore. They've already unlocked all the important areas there which are all accessible to free accounts. And if you've owned the various areas of WC before they were turned free, I'm sure KI can give you an exclusive item to say "Thanks for being a vet and having been with us for this long."
We vets have been making the same old argument over and over again about Wizard City becoming free to play and I will just reiterate what I said before: Firecat Alley and Cyclops Lane need to be free to play to allow crowns players to at least clear one world's story. Colossus Boulevard, Crab Alley and Sunken City are not connected to the story of Wizard City so there is still reason you can put pay walls there but you need to complete all three streets to get the quest to fight Foulgaze, Lord Nightshade and then visit Nightside to trigger the quest to enter the next world, Krokotopia. Make those two streets Free to Play, KI. You're only losing 1500 crowns in cash.

I agree that Wizard101's free to play is very limited. Unicorn Way is mostly linear and Trion Avenue isn't much. To get players to enjoy Wizard101 we need to let them get "World Peace"(Super Mario Odyssey term) in Wizard City so they can head to Krokotopia next.

Survivor
May 09, 2016
CJ Snivy on Mar 26, 2020 wrote:
We vets have been making the same old argument over and over again about Wizard City becoming free to play and I will just reiterate what I said before: Firecat Alley and Cyclops Lane need to be free to play to allow crowns players to at least clear one world's story. Colossus Boulevard, Crab Alley and Sunken City are not connected to the story of Wizard City so there is still reason you can put pay walls there but you need to complete all three streets to get the quest to fight Foulgaze, Lord Nightshade and then visit Nightside to trigger the quest to enter the next world, Krokotopia. Make those two streets Free to Play, KI. You're only losing 1500 crowns in cash.

I agree that Wizard101's free to play is very limited. Unicorn Way is mostly linear and Trion Avenue isn't much. To get players to enjoy Wizard101 we need to let them get "World Peace"(Super Mario Odyssey term) in Wizard City so they can head to Krokotopia next.
I can agree with this. At least Fire Cat Alley and Cyclops Lane.

Right now, what happens if you beat Triton Avenue, and you're done. It's really anticlimactic and unmotivating. Instead, imagine if new players got to go through all 3 streets, eventually going through Foul Gaze and Nightshade, saving Wizard City, unlocking the hidden Death School before being introduced to the spiral doors inside of Bartleby. They have now become a stand up hero of the school, and know that Malistare is running around in the next world, and that only they can stop him.

Now that is motivating. That's reason enough to grab a membership and keep moving forward with the journey.

The reason I'd say include colossus boulevard is probably underwhelming. The mobs there fight in a 2v1 fashion, and in general, I think it's a good gap bridging between WC and the worlds beyond. Of course, since most people forget about it including KI, maybe it's not that important after all.

Explorer
Jul 23, 2009
Earthquake doesn’t make sense was a Myth spell, Earthquake sounds better off as a Life Spell

What Earthquake should be is 275-315 Damage to all enemies
Reduce the rank to 4
Increase accuracy up to 90%

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Ickabodd on Mar 30, 2020 wrote:
Earthquake doesn’t make sense was a Myth spell, Earthquake sounds better off as a Life Spell

What Earthquake should be is 275-315 Damage to all enemies
Reduce the rank to 4
Increase accuracy up to 90%
Myth, to me, is the Earth (elemental) school. It has plenty of animations revolving around earth, it's opposite storm (grounding electricity), and is the only one of the spirit schools that has a stun spell like the other elemental schools.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Whiz Kid on Jan 18, 2020 wrote:
Okay I thought of some ideas to bring to the community.... Let me know what you think....

UPDATE 1: Wizard City needs to be free for all players and the first part of Krokotopia should be.

Why? > Well players don't like to be limited by pay walls and this wouldn't hurt you guys too much.
UPDATE 2: We should have a badge and armor set with special graphics for those who completed all quests, maxed Fishing,Monstrology and Gardening..( Not sure about pvp and pet racing) Up to you guys.. It'll give people a reason to play and have more of a PVE goal instead of PVP.
Why? > Not everybody wants to PVP lets be realistic.. If we had PVE based goals it would stretch out completed content! Now that's fun!
UPDATE 3: Guilds! Why don't we create them? Have guild wars.. Have a guild camp to make your guild maybe a max of 100-500 players or. Add a rank to how much content they completed and make a point system?
Why? It would add more fun content! Totally worth mentioning! Players will have a new cool system to look up too!
I have commented before that I thought IF they make WC free, it should be story quests only and one full set of tasks, not all of them (fishing, gardening, or crafting). This way, when people buy the rest of the game, they get all the side quests plus the p[ortions of the tasks they did not choose the first time around. I have, and still do, disagree that any part of Krok should be free. That's going too far.

I don't think Guilds need to be implemented in the game. KI can do as they want of course, but there's enough places to get together in groups that guilds don't need to be done. I'm all for more social aspects of guilds, and yes, if implemented, they need to be done right, but my fear is the elitism will be taken to a whole new level if guilds are created. There's already too many mean people in the game, and having them band together to taunt other people, more than they do now, is just asking for people to leave in droves.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
Whiz Kid on Jan 18, 2020 wrote:

1. I think this is a very slippery slope i think that WC would be a good idea but there is also a lot behind the scenes that happens for example what is the turn rate if that happens do new players feel a call to action if they finish a world vs get to the three streets. Basiclly from a buisness persepective where is the spot in the game where the majority of players will get to as F2P AND then want to instantly make a purchase?

2. There are badges for all of those things i so i dont know if i follow. But i would love anyway that pushes that further haha.

3. nope nope nope. simply put its a family game, and the max dungeon size is 4 people. there just isn't any benefit vs the potential bad/toxicity that could come out of it. However i would say find a discord community if you want a guild like exp. in wiz.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2016
When it comes to the Wizard City pricing discussion, I would say that the paywall comes way too soon. You spend like an hour or two questing through like two zones, and that's it. After Triton Avenue, there's no progression. None. You're forced into paying for the two other street zones in Wizard City just so you can beat the first world, which is pretty off-putting for new players.

To try to alleviate this, I would make Firecat Alley and Cyclops Lane free (as you need both to complete Wizard City.) This leaves the dungeon zones (Colossus Boulevard--Briskbreeze, Crab Alley--Waterworks, and Nightside--Sunken City and Darkmoor) behind a paywall. This is also true of Aquila and the Aquila dungeons (Olympus, Atlantea, and Tartarus,) as Cyclops Lane is needed to unlock this world. Besides, by at least Sunken City or Olympus, the player should at least have some experience questing through a full world.

I might make at least the Oasis in Krokotopia free as well, so players at least have that second world waiting for them without a paywall blocking their progress. This is beneficial as people looking to continue crafting need the Oasis to access the second crafting badge quest. Being able to at least have the Oasis plus all of the main story zones of Wizard City would entice new players to invest more in this game.

But, how about players who spent money/crowns on these zones? I was one of them. At first I thought that crowns for a zone was a better way to unlock zones. Currently, I'm just on membership which allows unfettered and unlimited access as long membership is active. For those who did pay for these zones, maybe a reimbursement in crowns would be warranted. Seems fair to return the exact amount of crowns used to buy each zone, I suppose.

The first world's storyline zones (Unicorn, Triton, Firecat, Cyclops, and associated Haunted/Dark Cave) should all be free so players can at least complete the entire questline. Now that players have been investing time and energy into this game by this point, they might be willing to make a purchase (I recommend getting membership during a sale)

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
I don't feel like I have much to say on the first two points. However when it comes to guilds... Well there is potential.

Yes, there's potential for toxicity. But that's something that can happen in any game! My own experience has taught me that simply because there's potential doesn't mean that we should shy away from it. It all depends on how it's brought about.

I do play another game, quite frequently, that has its own guild format. Now, I've been part of several different guilds in said game. Only 2, out of the... 15 or so, have gone down due to in-guild drama and toxicity. The other 12 simply became inactive, and I'm still a part of the 15th one. Real life gets to everyone. And this game has numerous means to gather players outside of guilds too, but the guilds offer the greatest benefits. Nixing the guild war idea, this could be a good way to have players all work together for something far greater than just 4 players. For a time, there was an instance that if you had a guild, you could access the toughest version of it. You got access to a specialized crafting room where the guild could work together to build something. And even now, you have special actions that you can do to give bonuses that boost up to two aspects at a time.

It also stands that with a guild, you do have a stronger chance of meeting new people that could potentially help out and that you could potentially help as well. And a greater chance of forging new bonds that simply running across people doesn't exactly give much of one.

Guilds do have negatives, no doubt can be had about that, but there are positives to look at too. And if something even remotely similar could be done in here, I'd fully volunteer to be a guinea pig for it.