Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

monster death flag set before animation

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 07, 2018
Hey,

I just noticed something. I tried the search and didn't find the bug posted, hope it is not yet known:

When you kill a monster, the death flag is set not when you actually kill it (i.e. the animation is shown), but earlier; either when you lock in your skill, or when the round starts (not sure about that one). I can fully understand that everything (damage dealt, fizzle or not, etc.) gets computed before showing the animations. However, this has a strange effect when new monsters join the battle. If you lock in an attack that will kill a monster, the new monster will join on its position. Then, once the skill animation is shown, it looks like there are two monsters above each other, you kill one and the other was already there before.
You can try it out yourself:
Start a fight, ask a friend to join shortly before you kill one of the enemies. If another monster joins after the round starts, but before your current opponent dies, the new monster will join in the same space as the old one.
Sounds complicated, but it just happened to me twice in 10min by pure chance, if you are on maps with a lot of players and just join or get joined all the time (I was on this thunderstorm alley in Wizard City, forgot how the name is written exactly) it should be easy to reproduce.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Bemteb on Sep 8, 2019 wrote:
Hey,

I just noticed something. I tried the search and didn't find the bug posted, hope it is not yet known:

When you kill a monster, the death flag is set not when you actually kill it (i.e. the animation is shown), but earlier; either when you lock in your skill, or when the round starts (not sure about that one). I can fully understand that everything (damage dealt, fizzle or not, etc.) gets computed before showing the animations. However, this has a strange effect when new monsters join the battle. If you lock in an attack that will kill a monster, the new monster will join on its position. Then, once the skill animation is shown, it looks like there are two monsters above each other, you kill one and the other was already there before.
You can try it out yourself:
Start a fight, ask a friend to join shortly before you kill one of the enemies. If another monster joins after the round starts, but before your current opponent dies, the new monster will join in the same space as the old one.
Sounds complicated, but it just happened to me twice in 10min by pure chance, if you are on maps with a lot of players and just join or get joined all the time (I was on this thunderstorm alley in Wizard City, forgot how the name is written exactly) it should be easy to reproduce.
I've seen this one for quite a while now. It's a rather peculiar one that I hope gets fixed.