Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What do you wish you knew when you were new?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 27, 2019
A lot of times, especially in games like these, there are tips and tricks that you don't notice for whatever reason and when discovered they're great. Is there a feature that I might be ignoring? A trick or button? The best way to quest? Stuff like that.

Thanks!
Marigold

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Marigold Blue on May 5, 2019 wrote:
A lot of times, especially in games like these, there are tips and tricks that you don't notice for whatever reason and when discovered they're great. Is there a feature that I might be ignoring? A trick or button? The best way to quest? Stuff like that.

Thanks!
Marigold
Backpack Item Lock and also Equipment Sets.

We can pre-make equipment sets for different occasions by equipping everything we want in the set then going to our backpack (where it shows the lists of equipment shortcut 'B'). At the bottom near the backpack item count there is a robe, hat and boots symbol 'Equipment Sets'. Clicking it will let us add the set we're wearing, giving it a name we choose. We can also change which set we are wearing simply by clicking it!

It's very handy for putting on pyjamas (energy gear) before logging out or changing between healing and damage or PvE to PvP sets etc.

The Backpack Item Lock is awesome, especially for those of us who use Quick Sell. It is OFF by default...IDK why and wish default was ON...but, to turn it on we just have to go to 'Options' in our backpack (shortcut 'Esc'). Then go to the tab 'Gameplay Options 2' and go down to 'Backpack Item Lock' and click it to 'yes'.

This allows us to lock precious items so we can not accidentally sell them. If we open quick sell they will not even show up. It's great for everything from useful gear to pretty housing items. These 2 features are both favourites of mine

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I wish I knew about the "Hot" feature when I started. Every day, a random item is discounted for 10% off. I only learned about this recently!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Lookit Light on May 7, 2019 wrote:
I wish I knew about the "Hot" feature when I started. Every day, a random item is discounted for 10% off. I only learned about this recently!
I'm only just hearing this now lol! How do we see what is 'hot'?

Something I've found a little frustrating with the crown shop is not knowing how to click 'on sale' fast enough before it vanishes...I've never managed to find it any way but opening the crown shop again and trying to click really, really fast!

Survivor
Jun 13, 2011
I'm just hearing about this 'hot' feature
Also, 'on sale'? These tips would have definitely been useful when I was new.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Something that is "Hot", will usually be one of the first thing when you open the Crowns shop, alongside anything new, like the new Fangle mount.

At least, that's how it works over in Pirate anyway. But I'm pretty sure it's here as well!

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
Start crafting as soon as it becomes available!!!

I only started crafting recently, and oh boy what a world I missed out on. I'm an Adept Crafter at Transcendent, but I look around at Grandmasters who are already Legendary Artisans and such.

Moral of the story: don't sell all of your harvest items just because you think it'll make a pretty coin at the Bazaar.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I wish there was an option to stop getting gear drops. When I am helping lower wizards, it tends to fill up my backpack rather quickly. Since the drops are useless.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
When I started playing I wish I knew I can't change my name. I would have choosen more carefully. Few of my wizards are stuck with a name that doesn't fit their shcool.

I wish I knew I can't delete a side quest once I accept it. At first some side quests looked fun to do until I tried them. Now those unwanted quests are sitting in my book collecting dust and I'm no longer picking up new ones not knowing how fun they might be.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Make regular stops at the Bazaar to sell things you don't want. That way, as your backpack fills up with items you have won, you won't have to sell them from your backpack between battles, to make room.

You won't need gold for a while, so don't sell anything that you like. You might want it later. That cute outfit with no stats can be "stitched" to something with good stats. Just talk to that seamstress NPC in the Commons.

Don't be too quick to stitch, because you will level up quickly at first. It costs crowns to unstitch it too.

The name of your pet does not really matter, because you can say good boy or good girl for the same training effect. So unless you have gold to spare, don't pay to rename it.

If being joined in battle by a random, uninvited stranger, it is OK to flee. You feel how you feel about it. Everyone can type or choose "OK if I join you?" before running in.

Don't yell at the person who ran in, because it might have been an accident.

If you are stressed out by battles, you can always go fishing or gardening for a while.

Don't be too quick to make friends; not everyone is trustworthy. It is OK to take your time and get used to the world first.

If anyone bullies or harasses you, report them.

Those zero energy fishing weekends really are great.

This is enough for now...Maybe I will think of more later.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
NEW WORLDS11111 on Aug 4, 2019 wrote:
I wish there was an option to stop getting gear drops. When I am helping lower wizards, it tends to fill up my backpack rather quickly. Since the drops are useless.
I would like this in packs also.

I bought some Sinbad packs, and I now have enough clay to build a palace.

Explorer
May 06, 2013
Rushing through worlds are no fun. Listening to the storyline makes the game more interesting.
Not everyone can be trusted. Too many people like to scam or take advantage of you.
Treasure cards outside your school does not work with power pips.

Survivor
Jul 25, 2019
Still new, so still learning. The fact you can't trade items or anything but treasure cards comes to mind as something i would like to have known. That there was limited time events would have been nice, just for the quests they offer.

Overall though i don't mind finding these things out as i'm having a fair amount of fun.

Survivor
May 28, 2016
That I could discard cards...
I never knew how to use my tcs until a bit further on.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2010
The importance of where to point skill points lol

Explorer
Jul 05, 2014
That you can continue dialogue from an NPC with the space bar, that you can control your wizard by holding down both mouse keys, and that you can open chests and interact with mouse things just by clicking on them.
I say this because I play the game laying down on my bed and I can't always see the keyboard, so I found this helpful once I found out.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2017
I wish I knew what spells such as Trap spells and Shield spells did when I first started. Those spells can save much time and change the very outcome of a battle.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2014
I wish I knew that you didn't need a secondary school and that you should save your training points.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2011
I wish I would've known to save my training points with my first wizard. As a player for nine years who has four max level wizards now, there are a lot of things that I wish I would've paid attention to or knew the first time I played.

(For any of you that want to know, I have a , , , and max level).

Survivor
Sep 11, 2016
Been playing on and off since about 2016, currently a level 68 death wizard:

1. start crafting as soon as possible, I started at level 55 so that I could craft winter tusk and any future death spells. And seriously I wish I never sold any of my reagents or just ignored crafting.
2. Start gardening:It can seriously help with going gold, snacks and the your high enough gardener, get amber from plants which is extremely important for difficult spells to craft.
3. Save your gold! Do not spend it all at once, I did this because I bought houses and needless to say, I only use my playhouse castle inward city. If you save 90,000 coins you can get a permanent lion mount, so save up!
4. Save your training points. As you play more, you'll realize what kind of spells will be more necessary for you. I wish I saved enough to get tower shield, but now I buy shield tc.
5. Do not invest in moon school when you get to Celestia. It's worthless as you go on and youre losing trying points for spells that can seriously benefit you. Sun school, and star school are best. Especially Sun school if you want to increase damage on your spell without having to waste a round casting a star spell.
6. If your stats are strong enough, try and things solo, unless necessary. It's really helpful to be able to survive and have good tactics so whenever you do difficult dungeons like Aquila etc, you can help.
7. Craft gear because you cannot always expect to get gear and sometimes crafted get has better stats than farmed gear.

This is a lot and there's probably more, but I hope I helped1

Caroline Ravenblood

Survivor
Jul 08, 2012
Getting friends (online or IRL) makes the game move a lot faster and it makes it a lot more fun. If you struggle in one area, wizards of the same school or different school help a lot more than you would think. Doing side quests are also really important because they help you gain an extra few levels which may be necessary to do a quest or dungeon since you might be too weak of a wizard (especially low health depending on your school). Hope this helps! :)

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
edward6969 on Aug 2, 2019 wrote:
Start crafting as soon as it becomes available!!!

I only started crafting recently, and oh boy what a world I missed out on. I'm an Adept Crafter at Transcendent, but I look around at Grandmasters who are already Legendary Artisans and such.

Moral of the story: don't sell all of your harvest items just because you think it'll make a pretty coin at the Bazaar.
Yes, and also save reagents you pick up!

I ignored crafting until I discovered the crafting quest in Celestia that gives a training point.

Then I ignored it again until I realized that I could get Loremaster spells faster by crafting them than waiting for them to drop.

Then I ignored it again until the best Balance PvP wand in the game was only available by crafting. Those bazillion stone blocks I collected for years came in handy!

Survivor
Jan 05, 2010
I wish I hadn't chose to be a storm wizard

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Meep Moop on Jun 8, 2020 wrote:
I wish I hadn't chose to be a storm wizard
Storm is a difficult Wizard to solo in the early game, but eventually things will balance out and become more enjoyable. Especially when you get the spell Tempest. If you can't do it alone, there's always Team Up.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2016
Playing the game since 2016 some things I wish I knew are...
  • Crown shop pets have no hybrids
  • Don’t use all your crowns on hoard and lore packs
  • You HAVE to do the main quests to progress in the main storyline (because I just did the quest that came up on the bottom of the screen above the quest arrow, the highest level I’ve ever been is level 20)
  • Storm doesn’t fizzle almost every turn (because I thought this, I didn’t make a storm wizard for a long time)

Keira ThunderCloud - Adept