Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What do you wish you knew when you were new?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 31, 2011
Don't do every sidequest you see. The main storyline gives an insane amount of XP once you get to higher levels and getting to those worlds faster is the best way to progress through the game. The only sidequests you should definitely do are the crafting quests in each world and gear quests like the one given by Gloria Krendell that gives you some decent gear for level 10 wizards. Don't skip wintertusk for any reason. You may want to skip wintertusk because you think that you won't have enough time left on your membership to complete the game, but wintertusk will give you a MASSIVE XP boost and some of the best gear until level 60 and waterworks.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
It was a long time ago now, but I remember when I first started I played for several DAYS before it registered with me I could discard cards from my hand. Before that I would cast useless spells over and over trying to draw useful cards into my hand one at a time. Yes, I know the tutorial specifically mentions discarding, but somehow in the rush of new information the concept didn't stick, I only figured it out after I started googling stuff and accessing forums. Discarding makes it SO much easier to draw good cards, and of course is the key to drawing treasure cards from you sideboard (I couldn't understand why the draw button never worked, either).

Explorer
Mar 04, 2018
Taylorfirethorn on Nov 7, 2019 wrote:
That I could discard cards...
I never knew how to use my tcs until a bit further on.
I think I would have wanted to know that I was playing side worlds instead of storyline ones, because it took me a while to catch up to where I should have been. Oh, and yeah, I don't really know when/how I figured out the treasure cards.

Rebecca Stormrider
Level 90
Ice

Survivor
Mar 01, 2010
I don't have to do all the quests! I can just complete the main quests and if I'm feeling good then take a couple side quests that are worth my time. :) I also wish I knew I shouldn't spend my training point so non-chalently as I have in the past. That I should plan ahead and work for what I want. Not spending 1 point in every school. Good luck noobies!

Explorer
Mar 04, 2018
Another thing that I wish I knew when I was new to the game was the levels in which you unlock Astral and Shadow magic, because I remember wanting to try those out.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Katie Caster on Apr 3, 2020 wrote:
I wish I would've known to save my training points with my first wizard. As a player for nine years who has four max level wizards now, there are a lot of things that I wish I would've paid attention to or knew the first time I played.

(For any of you that want to know, I have a , , , and max level).
become level 140 death

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
Learning how to shield.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
BalanceBoyo on Feb 10, 2020 wrote:
I wish I knew that you didn't need a secondary school and that you should save your training points.
this for sure. I even bought the amulet that allows you to use power pips for death school. I'm level 102 life wizard now and it's completely useless. So I wasted $10 and points lol

Survivor
Jun 22, 2016
Building off of what other people said about training points, star school damage enchant spells are essential. Just between level 50 and 60, expect to spend about 5 or 6 training points. So, think ahead before you click that you want to train in a spell, and consider when you would use it and why. A lot of people recommend training up to Feint in death or tower shield in ice. Personally, I also put a lot of consideration into what type of school I am; if I am a fire wizard training element blade and trap, it makes sense then to also train in some storm and ice so I do not waste the other blades. I remember when I started out I trained all storm spells on all my wizards because I was "wow, that damage". Thank goodness for member benefit free training point buyback.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2011
Wisk I knew how to train pets properly.

Survivor
May 04, 2022
Hello,
New to Wizards. I seemed to have closed the chat box and now I can't not find it. Any suggestions?

Survivor
Mar 28, 2011
I wish I knew you could feed things to your pets lol

Survivor
Jan 10, 2019
I wish I knew how to keep a concise deck, as well as how valuable crafting and pets are, especially if soloing. I also wish I knew that you can stick to the main quest and complete the game fine with much less stress in each world.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2013
NEW WORLDS11111 on Aug 4, 2019 wrote:
I wish there was an option to stop getting gear drops. When I am helping lower wizards, it tends to fill up my backpack rather quickly. Since the drops are useless.
I agree, though im only level 59 as of now(i legit only did sideline quests i guess), i keep getting a bunch of trash loot from helping people while im doing my mainline quests right now. but when i was lvl id say abut 35, i got loot from Malistaire, kept it locked the past like 6 years LOL.

Survivor
Jul 02, 2012
edward6969 on Aug 2, 2019 wrote:
Start crafting as soon as it becomes available!!!

I only started crafting recently, and oh boy what a world I missed out on. I'm an Adept Crafter at Transcendent, but I look around at Grandmasters who are already Legendary Artisans and such.

Moral of the story: don't sell all of your harvest items just because you think it'll make a pretty coin at the Bazaar.
I know this was posted back in 2019 but I'm going to quote it and bring it back because it's very very good information. I always procrastinated when it came to crafting quests. I also used to ALWAYS sell any reagent I found.
1. Reagents don't take up inventory space so you can literally carry as much as your heart desires.
2. It's not worth it to sell reagents at the Bazaar. Yes, it's a way to earn some quick cash but reagents are very valuable in other aspects. Some of the best gear must be crafted and you'll need all kinds of reagents to do so.
3. Craft things even if it's not for a quest. Just try to level up your crafting title. There is some super great gear that has amazing stats but it usually requires a higher level when it comes to crafting.