Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making Arc 1 Free To Play

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 25, 2012
I think Kingsisle should make WizardCity Korkotopia Marlybone Mooshu and Dragonspire for free.
I think it will give a better perspective point of view for the new players on the game and on the story line, it can convince them to keep playing the game and also decide if they want to continue playing it or not. Also because the free to play quest line is too short. What do you think?

Survivor
Oct 29, 2010
I think more of Wizard City (maybe even all but Sunken City and Crab Alley) would be reasonable to have free to play. But since the first arc is my favorite part to play, and I have never yet gotten a character through the second arc (highest is in Avalon), I think Kingsisle would be losing lots of money if they made the entire first arc free to play. Especially since you can create characters over and over, restarting as many times as you like. I have deleted lots of wizards in order to start a new one through that first arc.

Also since I have switched back and forth between crowns and membership on two accounts, I actually own most of the first arc twice over, so I can't imagine how crowns players would react to losing their investment in these areas. While that is always a risk you take when buying zones, I imagine there would be lots of complaints.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I think wizard city should definitely be free, past that I am not so sure it is necessary.

Explorer
Nov 21, 2011
I always saw KI having 4 options on this.

- Make Wizard City free (Most likely)
- Make Wizard City and Krokotopia free, restore 10% ratio of free content (My personal viewpoint )
- Make 1st arc free, make the game feel complete in it's own right
- Make all areas free, rely on packs/membership/bundles for income

It really depends, if at all, how far KI would be willing to go to give players free content.

I always thought making Wizard City and Krokotopia free would be the best bet at this point, since it allows players to get used to the idea of world hopping in The Spiral (I for one was really caught off guard!), and would also give people a reasonable amount of content, without getting slapped in the face with a paywall after a couple of areas.

The only real problem would be how KI would be able to compensate people who actually bought those areas, so it's not as easy as it sounds!

Making the first arc free would make the game feel complete in it's own right, and give players more than enough content to play around with, but with every free world, KI would need to compensate people more and more, and that might just hurt them in the end. Going one further and making all areas free would just be the same problem, but on an even more massive scale.

So while i do like the idea, i doubt it would actually happen, at least at this point in time

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
I disagree intently here.

I don't think making so many areas free to play is an ideal decision.

Instead, this is what I suggest they can do:

• Allow players to be given free access to either Cyclops Lane or Firecat Alley.

• Have a promotional benefit allowing all of Wizard City free to play for a limited time.

• Continue the revamping of all the worlds in the spiral with Krokotopia next in line.

We have to be careful in how we just toss the word "free" so carefree.

I also do think that possibly, discounts or promotional benefits can be available especially to first time players/new players in terms of sales/access/etc. to Wizard City and Kroktopia areas requiring membership.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Star Gator on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
I think Kingsisle should make WizardCity Korkotopia Marlybone Mooshu and Dragonspire for free.
I think it will give a better perspective point of view for the new players on the game and on the story line, it can convince them to keep playing the game and also decide if they want to continue playing it or not. Also because the free to play quest line is too short. What do you think?
I think our local ice-cream shop should give out entire ice creams for free instead of samples too, then I'd never need to buy an ice-cream again

Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
For sure.

"Free to Play" is so incredibly misleading that a year ago my friends were confused as to why there were any other kinds of payment than the "micro-transactions" (Crowns Shop) once they hit the Cyclops Lane/Firecat Alley wall. Luckily, I managed to convince them by showing them they could get a membership with just $7. They ended up loving the story line and they are still playing today.

All of this aside; I think about the percentage of the player base that doesn't have a means of income. This means they resort to asking their parents, end up paying $10 with a prepaid-card, or fooled into buying out the spiral; paying an absurd amount of money.

Survivor
Nov 07, 2009
Hello, yes I agree that more of the game should be free for new players to help draw them into the game more. I too made a topic over this just a few days ago. The new maxed lvl currently stands at lvl 130 and free players only can max out at lvl 8 with only 5-6 hours worth of gameplay. To me that is not enough gameplay to really draw anyone in. Personally, I quit the game for about a year before coming back to the second arc when Azteca was first being introduced and decided to finally give the game a shot. If new players were to be given at least 1 month free membership to test the game as much as they like and pay for it once it is up, then a lot players, I feel, will stay in the game. Level 8 is just not enough, and it has always been this way since the start of the game. I feel now since there are 20+ worlds now that more should be open to players. Sorry about my rant. I 100% agree with you Arcanum Lore that this should be looked into.

Sincerely,

Chris Thundercloud 130

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I think we'd find a lot of people never needing to pay at all.

There is a HUGE amount of content in the first arc, not to mention all the fishing, gardening, sides, dungeons etc etc.

Giving a free sample can be a good thing, but giving away the product removes the need to buy it.

The free areas have not been shrunk and enticed enough people into investing that W101 has become a huge success. I think a lot of people forget how much more free content there is now without expanding it according to world or questline.

F2P now has more holiday drops and content. There are more pets in the spiral to be hatched in pet pavilion. There is more gear to choose from in the bazaar. There are more furniture items available for decorating. Fishing exists. Monstrology exists. Housing tours exists and has far more homes each offering fishing, games, monstrodomes, plus more and more housing gauntlets. Gardening TC is available and more seeds with every update etc...

Paying wizards have even more access to gold and are more likely to have spare TC to pass for free...and a really huge one is KI trivia and earn crowns etc that allows ANY player who can not pay to still progress if they put the effort into it!

With every new house gauntlet, every new house, every new world...there are more things available to F2P. If this is not enough to make them want to progress then giving them Krok or further isn't going to change whether they open their wallet and make a payment.

Survivor
Dec 06, 2016
It's a bit selfish, but... what of those of us that already bought Arc 1? Would we get compensated for paying for stuff that is now free, in some way?

Survivor
May 04, 2015
I feel like this idea has been suggested a lot by people.

It isn't a bad idea to give players a taste of what they will be getting into if they decide to get the full game in any manner, whether that be through crowns or a membership. Really, I think only part of arc 1, at least half, should be available to players, as the story and the game play itself starts to stray from the game play of arc 1, and starts to form it's own environment, in my opinion. Making more of arc 1 available would be a great idea and let players know what they are getting into, but even making the entirety of arc 1 available to play would a great idea to get more players into the game. The game doesn't change more in game play aspects and story until maybe Zafaria or Avalon, but I don't mean that in a bad way. It just seems a bit confusing for newer players just getting into the game.

But yeah that is just my opinion on the matter, really seems like a good idea.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
This is a great idea, though it will never happen. Thats basically a free month of gameplay. For now, Wizard city should be made free to play, and *maybe* krokotopia

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
To add, it would be nice to see strides made here, especially with the anticipated role-out of the newly upgraded Wizard City.

What better way to showcase the newly revamped areas than by allowing all players a chance to experience it?

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
See how far we go with this, we go from making Wizard City free to an entire arc free! No, unless they refund those of us who may have spent money on those areas already!

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
I have been paying for member ship since 2010, and i believe the entire wizard city with the exception of (Crab Alley and Olympus) should be accessible to new players.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Victoria FireHeart on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
I think our local ice-cream shop should give out entire ice creams for free instead of samples too, then I'd never need to buy an ice-cream again
You might want to buy the cone to put it in... But I completely agree.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I think making the 1st arc intirely free is a bad idea. KI is in the business to make money. They're already giving away free stuff. In addition to make 1st arc free may not be profitable the way they like. I think making all of Wizard City possibly part of Krokotopia free to play would be enough for new player's to decide if they want a membership.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Blaze03554 on Apr 25, 2019 wrote:
See how far we go with this, we go from making Wizard City free to an entire arc free! No, unless they refund those of us who may have spent money on those areas already!

This is why I don't think they should make ANY more free. As soon as they extend to end of wiz city or even into krok, they will be inundated with people asking for MORE...it just goes on and on.

I do think it might be useful to do a 'let's look back...' on the free areas, showing what has been added over the years. It would be a good reminder to people that what has been given free HAS been increased consistently and progressively throughout the game's development.

I've already listed in this thread a few of the things that have been added so won't reiterate that again here. F2P has expanded with the game even though it has not been increased in a linear fashion.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
If more areas do become free sometime down the line. Some players wiil want their money or cowns back from those areas they bought Why should you get a refund? It's just the same as buying something from a store at full price. When the item you bought goes on sale for half price or buy one, get one the following week, should you go back to the store and ask for part of that money back. Sorry but life in the business world doesn't work that way. Your cowns, your money, you bought it. That's the deal.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Patrick Ravenbane on Apr 26, 2019 wrote:
If more areas do become free sometime down the line. Some players wiil want their money or cowns back from those areas they bought Why should you get a refund? It's just the same as buying something from a store at full price. When the item you bought goes on sale for half price or buy one, get one the following week, should you go back to the store and ask for part of that money back. Sorry but life in the business world doesn't work that way. Your cowns, your money, you bought it. That's the deal.
[response made while edits were in moderation]

I totally agree and I'm quite mind-boggled by the immediate rush to 'compensate me' that keeps coming up (on this forum, other forums, twitter - within hours of connection issues, and also in general too). I'm also not sure why some people feel they somehow lost something whenever someone else got something.

What if KI increased the price of membership and zones, would they be so fast to reach for their wallet to pay the backlogged difference too?

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Patrick Ravenbane on Apr 26, 2019 wrote:
Right? I mean come on lol that's just logic's right there. I still vote on making wizard city all accessible for new players.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
Wow free ice cream? now who'es always that guy ends up in the mini van asking kids if they want free samples only to have them end up missing on some poster. Point is everything leads to a satisfaction of something. Am satisfied enough to allow new players to invest their time to at least complete wiz city, from unicorn way to colossus boulevard. Which in turn can them prepared for pvp if they so desired. A badge can also be given to them namely "your journey has just begun" it'll prob attract a lot of players to the game. That's just my opinion.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Apr 27, 2019 wrote:
[response made while edits were in moderation]

I totally agree and I'm quite mind-boggled by the immediate rush to 'compensate me' that keeps coming up (on this forum, other forums, twitter - within hours of connection issues, and also in general too). I'm also not sure why some people feel they somehow lost something whenever someone else got something.

What if KI increased the price of membership and zones, would they be so fast to reach for their wallet to pay the backlogged difference too?
Its called Logic. I am pretty sure if they raised the price of membership and zones people would quit. If you got a problem with people wanting compensation for what ever reason, then maybe you should take it out on them than trying to run towards other post ranting about things discussed on previous post like every straw man argument you try to accomplish. You prob been here since the game started an i get it now with 1000+ charms you feel special and tend to have that need to respond to anything post you feel as helpful but now i see its only for your own personal interest. And btw you misinformed someone of the question ask on a post about question mark blade card that has nothing to do with sun spells. Be sure to do your research before giving out any incorrect information.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
angellifeheart on Apr 28, 2019 wrote:
Wow free ice cream? now who'es always that guy ends up in the mini van asking kids if they want free samples only to have them end up missing on some poster. Point is everything leads to a satisfaction of something. Am satisfied enough to allow new players to invest their time to at least complete wiz city, from unicorn way to colossus boulevard. Which in turn can them prepared for pvp if they so desired. A badge can also be given to them namely "your journey has just begun" it'll prob attract a lot of players to the game. That's just my opinion.
I think you missed the point I was making - if a free sample is sufficient to reach 'satisfaction' there is no reason, desire or need to make a purchase. The ice cream shop would be broke very quickly if they gave out entire ice creams instead of a tiny taste that leaves you wanting more. Even those who would have bought more don't need to.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
I'm a crowns player, buying zones. I've been a crowns player of KI games since I began. I played in the free to play zones up until I reached level 15, Triton Ave became very familiar to me. I realized I liked this game and began making that investment for my entertainment.
This just like going to a movie, you pay for that ticket to that single movie; but you also get a string of previews of other movies - this is to generate excitement and entice you to buy a ticket to see that new movie.
Either you want to play W101 or you want a free ride. Those who are looking for free entertainment would still stop playing the minute they hit the "pay wall" ( whether it's Krokotopia or up to Dragonspyre is immaterial. )