Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I am honestly not a fan of how Pet Hatching works.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 06, 2016
The thing about Pets is, the name and the context set them up for something specific. Namely, a "pet" is another living creature that you care about, something to get emotionally attached to- and in Wizard101, where you are a wizard (or witch), that also brings to mind the concept of the Witch's Familiar- the black cat, the owl, the toad, that a wizard or witch will keep around to assist them with magic, that may even have intelligence of their own. And heck, we even know that, in the lore, that's exactly what they are- Merle Ambrose's Pet, Gamma, is a prominently-featured, fully-voiced character in the game.

And that's how I initially played the game- when I joined, the friend that introduced me to Wizard101 gifted me a Sister Cheesiwitz egg as a welcoming gift, and I absolutely fell in love with Phoebe. In my eyes, were the mechanics different, I probably would've taken Phoebe all the way from Wizard City to Dragonspyre and beyond- and I still WANT to do that.

However, the pet hatching mechanic takes it in a very different direction. This mechanic instead dehumanizes the pets in question- a pet hatcher isn't going to look at a pet as a single thing to bond over that's going to help them, and isn't going to look at them as anything more than just one in a thousand- with nine-hundred and ninety-nine of those thousand being either stepping stones to get to the final pet, or failures and rejects. In addition, what are the most desired traits on a pet? They're not the traits where the pet gets to cast spells in combat of their own accord, and they're not the traits where the pet boosts their own stats- they're the ones that boost the stats of the wizard. (Although, the second one, where the pet boosts their own stats, isn't much better.)

These two properties mean one thing, when taken together- during the hatching process, the pet is treated as basically cattle (and no, I'm not talking about Mooshu), until they get to the final, perfect pet... which is then just treated as a piece of equipment, the same way that the wizard treats his hat or his athame. The wizard gets the final pet to Epic, slots the appropriate Gem into their collar, and then basically forgets that the pet even exists as anything other than something that follows them around sometimes and plays an animation when they cast a certain spell.

And in my eyes... if the pet were just another hat or athame or ring, that'd be fine. It's perfectly fine to treat an athame as an inanimate piece of equipment, because it is an inanimate piece of equipment. But a pet shouldn't be treated like that- they are living, breathing beings, and oftentimes are simply miniature versions of beings that elsewhere in the Spiral are characters in their own right- and heck, even the ones that don't show up in-game elsewhere tend to be that way. Just look at the Cheesiwitz family- the lore about them has them being a family of cheesemakers. The Cheesiwitzes have jobs outside of assisting the player.

Of course, I'm not exactly one to complain about things without suggesting ways to improve the game, and Halston's Laboratory is all about finding ways to improve the game, so... how would I improve the game, then?

First, I would enable some way to "stitch" a pet to another pet- basically, give one pet, the stats and abilities of another pet, the same way we can stitch hats, robes, boots, and wands together to get the looks of one hat but the stats of another. This solves the problem of if a wizard gets attached to a pet (say, me and Phoebe), but then realizes that they need to hatch for a better pet, or if a wizard really, really wants a floating sword and shield to follow them around but already has a maxed-out pet that isn't a sword and shield. Granted, it should probably be re-flavored in some other way as, for example, some novel new way to train a pet.

As an alternative to that, I would enable some way to change the stats and abilities of an *already-existing* pet, without hatching in the first place. Other than my "stitching pets" idea, I have no idea how that would look.

Second, on top of that, I would nerf the "simply boost the stats of the wizards" options, and buff the May-cast spells options- because the May-cast spells immediately snap everyone's attention to the pet. Suddenly, King Harry the miniature Forest Lord isn't just a fuzzy accessory, he's an ally in his own right, come to fight alongside the wizard- or at the very least, distribute some much-needed heals and/or blades.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Thistle Yggdrasil on Apr 11, 2019 wrote:
The thing about Pets is, the name and the context set them up for something specific. Namely, a "pet" is another living creature that you care about, something to get emotionally attached to- and in Wizard101, where you are a wizard (or witch), that also brings to mind the concept of the Witch's Familiar- the black cat, the owl, the toad, that a wizard or witch will keep around to assist them with magic, that may even have intelligence of their own. And heck, we even know that, in the lore, that's exactly what they are- Merle Ambrose's Pet, Gamma, is a prominently-featured, fully-voiced character in the game.

And that's how I initially played the game- when I joined, the friend that introduced me to Wizard101 gifted me a Sister Cheesiwitz egg as a welcoming gift, and I absolutely fell in love with Phoebe. In my eyes, were the mechanics different, I probably would've taken Phoebe all the way from Wizard City to Dragonspyre and beyond- and I still WANT to do that.

However, the pet hatching mechanic takes it in a very different direction. This mechanic instead dehumanizes the pets in question- a pet hatcher isn't going to look at a pet as a single thing to bond over that's going to help them, and isn't going to look at them as anything more than just one in a thousand- with nine-hundred and ninety-nine of those thousand being either stepping stones to get to the final pet, or failures and rejects. In addition, what are the most desired traits on a pet? They're not the traits where the pet gets to cast spells in combat of their own accord, and they're not the traits where the pet boosts their own stats- they're the ones that boost the stats of the wizard. (Although, the second one, where the pet boosts their own stats, isn't much better.)

These two properties mean one thing, when taken together- during the hatching process, the pet is treated as basically cattle (and no, I'm not talking about Mooshu), until they get to the final, perfect pet... which is then just treated as a piece of equipment, the same way that the wizard treats his hat or his athame. The wizard gets the final pet to Epic, slots the appropriate Gem into their collar, and then basically forgets that the pet even exists as anything other than something that follows them around sometimes and plays an animation when they cast a certain spell.

And in my eyes... if the pet were just another hat or athame or ring, that'd be fine. It's perfectly fine to treat an athame as an inanimate piece of equipment, because it is an inanimate piece of equipment. But a pet shouldn't be treated like that- they are living, breathing beings, and oftentimes are simply miniature versions of beings that elsewhere in the Spiral are characters in their own right- and heck, even the ones that don't show up in-game elsewhere tend to be that way. Just look at the Cheesiwitz family- the lore about them has them being a family of cheesemakers. The Cheesiwitzes have jobs outside of assisting the player.

Of course, I'm not exactly one to complain about things without suggesting ways to improve the game, and Halston's Laboratory is all about finding ways to improve the game, so... how would I improve the game, then?

First, I would enable some way to "stitch" a pet to another pet- basically, give one pet, the stats and abilities of another pet, the same way we can stitch hats, robes, boots, and wands together to get the looks of one hat but the stats of another. This solves the problem of if a wizard gets attached to a pet (say, me and Phoebe), but then realizes that they need to hatch for a better pet, or if a wizard really, really wants a floating sword and shield to follow them around but already has a maxed-out pet that isn't a sword and shield. Granted, it should probably be re-flavored in some other way as, for example, some novel new way to train a pet.

As an alternative to that, I would enable some way to change the stats and abilities of an *already-existing* pet, without hatching in the first place. Other than my "stitching pets" idea, I have no idea how that would look.

Second, on top of that, I would nerf the "simply boost the stats of the wizards" options, and buff the May-cast spells options- because the May-cast spells immediately snap everyone's attention to the pet. Suddenly, King Harry the miniature Forest Lord isn't just a fuzzy accessory, he's an ally in his own right, come to fight alongside the wizard- or at the very least, distribute some much-needed heals and/or blades.
Well you've touched on my aversion to the option to 'trash' a pet instead of 'realese to the wild' (cue watching them run off into Grizzleheim woods hahaha)...

...but the situations you're describing are not quite accurate to my experience...let me explain how I see it (as someone who loves pets!).

The 'between' pets you've described, the ones we use simply to get from A-Z, are never with us as allies in battle, never even about for longer than training them to adult and hatching again...we don't get attached to them. We care enough not to trash them...we are not heartless! We'll sell them to the pet shop instead

Now, Phoebe is a completely different type of pet. She is NOT a 'between' pet because she is your friend and you love her and she is significant in a million different ways! She's family!

Well...I have pets who, like Phoebe, are too loved to be trashed or sold. They 'retire'...and I have made a beautiful pet sanctuary outside my watchtower hall where they can play by the waterfall together...some pets will always be with us and loved...but there can come a time when they deserve to retire and rest and play somewhere pretty and cosy and safe

I understand your attachment to Phoebe. She has been your companion and ally from the start. If you would like, we can let her take a well-earned retirement and rest, so she can live out her little mousy life in comfort, knowing she has served you well and is always loved. If you'd like to make her a proud momma of an OP mouse just like her but with excellent (or perfect) stats and excellent talents...just let me know and we can make it our project

Phoebe might welcome the break and her ancestor can become your Phoebe 2.0 ... same name to honour her or new name because she's mommy? It's up to you!

I'm happy to help you and this is absolutely achieveable if you'd like to...Phoebe will be very proud to have been so loved and helped so much and perhaps even a little relieved to know her work is done and she has helped you have suitable help for your journey beyond her limitations

Explorer
Sep 03, 2009
After using this feature it just made me hate pets because they fail so I trash the failures I just honestly wish they would make pets crowns to win like pay crowns to get EXACTLY the talents you want but you gotta make the effort to get them to max stats. I just honestly avoid pets to prevent heart break and depression.