Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Multiple Player Exploit?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 06, 2014
So I've been questing in dragonspyre with a friend and see a 3 players (ex. James LifeFlame, James FireFlame, James, Deathflame) with the same name, with the same quests as mine, since we've just been bumping into eachother and they say hi, and i replied and brushed it off, as i continue questing I see the same three players phased in together in unison? One had a arial mount, and the two had panther mounts, and at first I thought it was just me being crazy and it was just the delay the game has, but then I see later on that two of the players both teleport at the same time to the player in the arial mount, the Hawk mount from a bundle, and they move at the same time in unison. To see how they moved like that its obvious to know that there is just one computer involved with multiple browers open. know that there is just one computer involved, Ive been playing this game for years and I doubt that that behavior shouldnt be tolerated some way some how. I know what i saw and im giving my best details. I dont know if that is a recent issue, but the reason I pointed this out in the first place is because I dislike the fact that there are players, who spend time on each character and take their own time leveling them up, just to know there are cheaters who try to find the easy way and level up three wizards all in the same time. Hope there is some elaboration of some sort, or just if someone else sees this.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
There isn't anything wrong with creating multiple accounts.

In fact, given the current character selection caps out at 6 available slots, it seems like the practice is encouraged.

From your description, it doesn't seem like the player was doing anything wrong.
He wasn't trolling you
He wasn't being mean
Swearing
Or Cheating the game in any sort.

So, what he did is okay. Many of us in fact have more than one account as it aids greatly as you mentioned in questing, farming etc.

If one chooses to use a higher level account to aid the younger one, that practice is fine too.

Where I would draw the line was if the player used this technique in Pvping in order to cheat, or go around the system to rank up.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The person in question probably has multiple accounts running simultaneously on one computer. If their system is strong enough, they may have different windows open running unique accounts so they can play up to four wizards together at one time. That is allowed.

As long as each account is paid for properly and in good standing, KI doesn't care if we run 2-4 of our wizards together at the same time.

The person also might have the kind of mount where more than one player at a time can ride. That, too, is allowed and is quite convenient for moving multiple players at once. I'm not quite sure what you meant by "Arial mount," but maybe it's one that allows extra players. (Maybe it's not. I don't know.) There are a couple of bird mounts, a giant insect, a hydra, a couple of tree mounts, and I think a Rhinocerous that allow multiple players to ride at the same time.

Having the players from separate accounts port to one another is likely due to this guy friending his wizards one with the other so they can find each other and get around quickly in the game. Again, completely allowed.

In summary:

If he's just questing four different accounts at once, he's fine.

If he's using these characters to exploit, bully, boost rank in PVP or otherwise do something against the TOS, then KI might sanction him for those actions, but not for having multiple accounts in play.

Alia Misthaven

Delver
May 29, 2009
Just as Freshta and Star Edward have stated, there are many players who have more than one account and it's not against the ToS to do so. There are also many reasons why players choose to do so.

I have multiple accounts. I usually run my 1st & 2nd account together, my 3rd & 4th together, and my 5th, 6th, and 7th triple box. I have two pairs on my 1st & 2nd that will run with a wiz from my 6th & 7th accounts. There are many reasons why I do this:

1. I have found it makes it SOOOO much easier to quest when using three or four wizards who can each hold a spot the others can port to instead of running back and forth.

2. It's also helpful to have a mix of wizard from different schools to help each other. My storm wizards often quest with my life, death, or balance who can heal them and they benefit from a fast, high damage partner.

3. I've quested solo (on my first account through DS in 2009) with a death and life and it got quite tedious not having an AoE and having to kill EVERY. SINGLE. ENEMY. INDIVIDUALLY. *sigh*

4. I will occasionally use one of my higher level wizards to help out a lower team through a dungeon. It's a lot easier than having a "random" jump in or waiting for Team Up.

5. It helps farming go by faster when you use multiple wizards.

6. You don't have to friend someone then wait for them to be on to quest. You are your own questing buddy!

7. Most people would like to play all 7 wizarding classes but you have to have an additional account to do so. I didn't have a fire on my first account and after I got my other 6 wizards up to DS I decided I wanted to play one. So I made a second account and used my other wizards from my first account to help them level along faster.

8. It is a lot easier to trade TCs to one of your other wizards than it is to friend a stranger and hope they will give them to back to you if you want to move them from one wizard to another on the same account. If you can't trust yourself well... LOL

~SM~

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Since that person has to pay for separate accounts to have those wizards able to play together, he's actually helping you out by helping fund KI, so they can keep the game growing and in good repair. If he tried to log in multiple wizards on one account, it wouldn't work. He also would not be able to have those wizards use the shared bank or the same crowns with each other, because the accounts are separate.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2014
Yes I understand completely that running multiple windows are allowed, maybe I did not elaborate enough for others to understand well enough, or if my rant did not add up as I hoped for. I understand how players open multiple windows at once. But the way this player ran multiple windows at once threw me for a loop. When I open two windows, in order to move you have to click on a specific browser and once selected it allows your player to move. So on and so forth, if you want the second browser to move you have to click on the second browser, that is how that works for me. But this player seemed that he did not do that, the way that all of his wizards all teleported at once to one of his wizards and began to move all four players simultaneously had began to confuse me. I also understand how there are multiple player mounts, but this player did not have any multiple player mounts, because he did not have a 4 person mount such as the creepy clown car to move all four players, confused me. Maybe that is just a another way people can control their players in a way that I have not realized you can do. But it seems to me that it does not matter how a user can control his browsers, because running multiple windows at once is allowed, so it negates his actions to dawn as me as suspicious. Sorry for the misunderstanding, or if I am just missing something! Thanks for the clarifications!

Delver
May 29, 2009
danny555999 on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
Yes I understand completely that running multiple windows are allowed, maybe I did not elaborate enough for others to understand well enough, or if my rant did not add up as I hoped for. I understand how players open multiple windows at once. But the way this player ran multiple windows at once threw me for a loop. When I open two windows, in order to move you have to click on a specific browser and once selected it allows your player to move. So on and so forth, if you want the second browser to move you have to click on the second browser, that is how that works for me. But this player seemed that he did not do that, the way that all of his wizards all teleported at once to one of his wizards and began to move all four players simultaneously had began to confuse me. I also understand how there are multiple player mounts, but this player did not have any multiple player mounts, because he did not have a 4 person mount such as the creepy clown car to move all four players, confused me. Maybe that is just a another way people can control their players in a way that I have not realized you can do. But it seems to me that it does not matter how a user can control his browsers, because running multiple windows at once is allowed, so it negates his actions to dawn as me as suspicious. Sorry for the misunderstanding, or if I am just missing something! Thanks for the clarifications!
I do know that hitting the number lock key will make your wizard run automatically. You would then only need to "steer" them by clicking on that window and using the arrow keys. This is another way that people with multiple accounts will run their wizards to the same place at the same time without having to manually run them individually.

Maybe they did this? *shrugs*

~SM~

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
danny555999 on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
There are third party programs that allow you send commands from one window to another, thereby controlling multiple characters with only one key command. Many top MMOs allow these third party programs (like WoW, EQ, etc). However, they only allow it to a degree (like simply controlling multiple characters and not automating functions like running bots in game or increasing your rapid fire abilities).

I have no idea if KI allows these programs in their games, but using third party programs can be a bannable offense.

I suspect that is what your seeing in-game.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
We specifically agreed in the ToU that we would not 'use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Site, (d) attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site'

Please do not be tempted to use ANY 3rd party software or your account may be at risk! The risk is not just KI banning you for it, some 3rd party software could contain malware that compromises your account details. It's unlikely that malware is set to go after your wizard, that's just a step they make to try to obtain your bank account details to commit serious crimes like identity theft. KI isn't being a kill-joy with this rule, they are protecting us!

That said, although I would never use 3rd party software I have seen people who are probably using it eg a guy who was on foot in Krok but zooming about faster than the fastest mount. I didn't know how he was doing it and anyone seeing it could have reported him for it so I don't think it was worth the risk. It didn't affect my progress or my wizard though so I fail to see how it could be an issue to me personally.

If people 'cheat' even by methods that are allowed (eg speed leveling) it doesn't change my game-play or enjoyment of the game. Sure I go much slower but them reaching max level first has no detrimental affect on me personally so I don't feel upset. I'm not in competition with them. If I were in competition with everyone else I'd never have started because there were already people with full accounts of maxed wizards while I was failing and restarting Golem Tower over and over....and over....and (you guessed it) over....

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on Mar 31, 2018 wrote:
We specifically agreed in the ToU that we would not 'use any device, software or routine that interferes with the proper working of the Site, (d) attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site'

Please do not be tempted to use ANY 3rd party software or your account may be at risk! The risk is not just KI banning you for it, some 3rd party software could contain malware that compromises your account details. It's unlikely that malware is set to go after your wizard, that's just a step they make to try to obtain your bank account details to commit serious crimes like identity theft. KI isn't being a kill-joy with this rule, they are protecting us!

That said, although I would never use 3rd party software I have seen people who are probably using it eg a guy who was on foot in Krok but zooming about faster than the fastest mount. I didn't know how he was doing it and anyone seeing it could have reported him for it so I don't think it was worth the risk. It didn't affect my progress or my wizard though so I fail to see how it could be an issue to me personally.

If people 'cheat' even by methods that are allowed (eg speed leveling) it doesn't change my game-play or enjoyment of the game. Sure I go much slower but them reaching max level first has no detrimental affect on me personally so I don't feel upset. I'm not in competition with them. If I were in competition with everyone else I'd never have started because there were already people with full accounts of maxed wizards while I was failing and restarting Golem Tower over and over....and over....and (you guessed it) over....
There is a more innocent way someone could seem to zoom faster than mount speed. If there is a lag on loading the image of something, they could be moving at normal speed, but you aren't seeing it. Then it loads and needs to catch up to where they moved to, fast. So you see them go quickly for point A to point B. I've see wizards on foot load and seem to be sliding across Commons very quickly, and just before they are out of sight, the mount they are on loads.
I've also been questing with a friend, gone through a door, and the forward command continues us running before we can see ourselves or each other. Sometimes the "speed travel" happens, even sliding the person in a straight line through objects. Can also happen with a connection lagging issue. I've seen my own wizard doing it too, and no extra programs were involved, just a glitchy computer or connection. Someone running a fast computer vs. a slow one, or someone very near KI's physical location (like in Texas) vs. very far away (Alaska, Malta, England, Maine, Australia, etc.) and these issues of timing and lag can crop up. The speed of light comes into play. Signal from KI to Maine for example: it needs to travel there, player's computer loads image at whatever speed the computer runs, player reacts, signal travels back to KI in Texas. If the distances are big, it might be enough to cause lags we can notice.
One time on Wiz, someone made a race course at a house. A bunch or people ran the race, with others watching. The question of who won the race was extremely relative. Differences in computer speed, connection speed, and distance the signal had to travel, meant that most people saw a different finishing order, including the impartial spectators. If you throw in a little loading or connection lag, strange things can show up on the screen.
Not saying there might not be cheating around, but there are other things that would also explain what you are seeing.