Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

monstrology really worth getting?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 10, 2016
Well I think monstrology can be a good if your farming for certain monster drops, but for the most part I don't think its all that exciting. Tell me what you think :)

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
I think it has a lot of potential. I wish the extract spells weren't so creature exclusive, but otherwise no complaints.

For a solo hunter, monstrology has the potential to make it a lot easier to take on tougher bosses without help. I imagine for myth school especially, it can be potentially really powerful. You can basically determine which minion you want to back you up in any boss encounter and most of them are much better than the school based minions...plus you can summon both a monstrology TC creature and your school minion for double the support.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Unless you collect badges its pretty useless, depending on your wiz level, minions are not going to be so helpful except at very lower levels. It is really just another thing to keep people busy, like gardening.

Hero
May 02, 2009
It all depends on your play style. If you like using minions and/or are frequently coming across monsters that you struggle to beat then Monstrology can be a big game changer for you. If you don't use minions and/or don't really struggle all that much against monsters then Monstrology is not for you.

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Apr 22, 2017 wrote:
Unless you collect badges its pretty useless, depending on your wiz level, minions are not going to be so helpful except at very lower levels. It is really just another thing to keep people busy, like gardening.
I have to disagree with this sentiment. While my personal school minions are relatively worthless in most cases, I have already found a couple of occasions where a specific Monstrology based minion was very useful in combat. The number one issue I have with using minions is they blow up my traps and make it hard to set things up for a massive hit....a monstrology minion from another school doesn't do that, and further has a lot more health.

Its just a matter of capturing the RIGHT monsters for use in combat. I would put monstrology minions closer to henchmen than school based minions. Also, since you can still summon your school minion you can actually field two helpers for those tough battles where its really difficult to solo. Or if you are myth you can field 3 minions of your choice.

Example, I used a thunder horn zombie on one of the fire bosses in Azteca yesterday and he was awesome. while at the same time I didn't have to worry about my fire prisms and fire traps being blown up by an over eager minion...he was casting krackens and icezillas left and right to greatly decrease the time it took for me to finish off the boss.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Goldenoak1 on Apr 23, 2017 wrote:
I have to disagree with this sentiment. While my personal school minions are relatively worthless in most cases, I have already found a couple of occasions where a specific Monstrology based minion was very useful in combat. The number one issue I have with using minions is they blow up my traps and make it hard to set things up for a massive hit....a monstrology minion from another school doesn't do that, and further has a lot more health.

Its just a matter of capturing the RIGHT monsters for use in combat. I would put monstrology minions closer to henchmen than school based minions. Also, since you can still summon your school minion you can actually field two helpers for those tough battles where its really difficult to solo. Or if you are myth you can field 3 minions of your choice.

Example, I used a thunder horn zombie on one of the fire bosses in Azteca yesterday and he was awesome. while at the same time I didn't have to worry about my fire prisms and fire traps being blown up by an over eager minion...he was casting krackens and icezillas left and right to greatly decrease the time it took for me to finish off the boss.
To each their own I suppose, in the time it took you to even make that minion, you could have killed the other creature without it.

Forgot to mention that this is also good for people into housing.

Survivor
Feb 09, 2012
Personally, I like it for one main reason: the house guests. I've collected every kind of dragon that can be collected and made a dragon yard with guards pacing at the entrances. I also have Iron Paws (polar bears) guarding the entrances to my ice and polarian houses. Zombies, specters, and banshees roam my death house. Since you can control them like pets, you can get pretty creative.

I wish they would let the creatures have their cheats in the monsterdome. Mine haven't, which has made it pretty boring. I was looking forward to setting up a super nasty boss fight in there, but it's turn out to just be enemies with high health.