Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mastery Amulets, worth it?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 27, 2015
I am a wizard, lvl:62 in Celestia. I keep having issues with health, I mess around with my gear due to bosses and normal questing, ect. But I keep getting super low on health and I try to save up for satyr but by the time its the round to use it, I die. I recently spent $40 on crowns (20k crowns) and I'm thinking about buying a Mastery Amulet for my wizard and future wizards I make. Is it worth it? I'm saving my crowns until I get thoughts from you all. I just not sure if they are worth it or not? Thanks for you're time
-Valkoor TitanBlood Lvl: 62 Wizard

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I loved my Mastery Amulet for my Wizard. I still use it on occasion. I think generally you can do with out it, but it is a nice little thing to have. You can farm for them at various places and Omen Stribog drops like amazing ones that give a couple stats in addition to the Mastery. (Must be level 110 I think though). I bought , Master Amulets. I have a one from Stribog and apparently got a regular one from somewhere. If you can I'd wait till they go on sale. Like right now the Ice, Myth and Balance ones are on sale at the moment (Probably the less frequently purchased ones). So the short of it is: Yes, I think it's an alright purchase (not card packs though: they are gambling for kids).

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Having that mastery amulet definitely helped my storm up until level 75 when she finally got Healing Current.

The Life mastery amulet tends to go on sale for 50% off in mid March (it's green, St. Patrick's day) so it's a bargain then. But you may not want to wait that long.

Without the Life Mastery here are other tips that can help:

Craft Wintertusk gear or get Waterworks gear that will boost your resist. Having a universal resist helps take the edge off damaging hits. Also, pack shields and use them. Starting in Celestia, the battles shift to high damage early on, so you need to adapt. This is the way it's going to be for the rest of the game.

Boost your healing stats. Use the rings & athames that boost healing by 10%-25% each and then you can easily grab 500-600 health out of a Fairy heal for only 2-4 pips. Ring of Rare Origins & Stellar Shortblade can both be purchased in the Bazaar, and the crafted rings and athames in Vestriland are great healing boosters as well.

Breed a pet for the may cast Spritely heal. If you can also get Unicorn or Fairy Friend, all the better. Again, with the boosted healing stats you might get up to 500 health out of one Spritely from your pet. That can really save you!

Pack Sprites and Fairies in your regular deck. Take a moment here and there for a moderate heal instead of waiting until you're critically low and desperate. In battle, I usually will cast a Sprite as soon as my health starts dipping close to 2000. My Storm can go from 'doing all right' to 'nearly dead!' with just one hit so I keep her health high while I'm prepping that one, big AOE.

Good luck!
Alia Misthaven, 110
Sierra Stormcaller, 87

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Life mastery is sure great on lower leveled wizards that don't heal effectively, but I don't know if any mastery amulets would really be useful at higher levels (pretty much what others have said). I usually do pretty well with other amulets at that point- I don't always like the idea of sacrificing the stats of some of those higher-leveled ammies for a mastery.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
I only ever buy crowns with the 60k crowns for $60 deals which would make the amulets (I think, been a while since I last looked at them in the shop) around $10. For you it would be even more actual money spent than that because it sounds like you bought your crowns at a higher price rate.

For me personally I have never felt it was worth it to spend 10 or more actual real life dollars on a mastery, but then I tend to be cheap about these things. Plus at higher levels you'll probably want to wear a different amulet rather than sacrificing some nice stats just to wear a mastery.

The only time I've ever worn a mastery is when fighting a couple of bosses that basically require dispel spamming and only because I was lucky enough to get a couple of masteries back in the day from farming waterworks. I would never have purchased them from the crowns shop.

Anyway I think you should just decide if you feel spending that money is really worth it. Maybe you would be more successful at certain battles if you tried a slightly different tactic.

Survivor
Jan 09, 2011
I found that a Storm Mastery amulet on my Ice Wizard worked wonders. Ice has highest health and throwing out storm attacks got me through many fights where the ice spells just weren't cutting it.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I've got some mastery amulets. I think I bought a Life one, and the rest I've got from drops. I don't ever use them.

However I have multiple accounts. I have 2 Storm wizards; 1 runs with a Myth and the other with a Balance. I also have Waterworks (or better) gear. The gear deflects enough damage that I can survive a bit longer, and the power of 2 wizards usually helps me defeat enemies before I have to worry about health.

I've just always steered away from the mastery amulets because I already sometimes have a difficult time having the spells I want in my own school come up during a duel without adding other school spells to the mix. The extra round(s) of tossing away cards I don't want when I'm finally ready to attack, but can't because my attack card still hasn't come up, can quickly make those cards a liability rather than an advantage.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Life mastery is very helpful for a storm wizard especially if you solo quest. IF you do choose to buy one, I'd wait for them to be half off. They do specials on mastery amulets a couple times a year.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
all of my wizards use mastery amulets, but that's MY play style. As others suggested, if you DO buy them, wait till they're on sale. You can also farm for them, depending on your level:

L60+ In Helephant Tower and Waterworks, you can find the regular ones (found in the crown shop)
L90+ In Aquila, you can fight Cronus, Gladiator, Hades, and the Sand squid for Exalted Mastery Amulets
L100+ In Darkmoor, you can get mastery amulets from the gold key room with the chest in DM part 1
L110+ In Polaris, you can get mastery amulets from the gold key boss, Omen

Delver
Dec 30, 2012
I'd go ahead and buy one, especially if you plan on going through the game with more wizards, which you can transfer the amulet to them as well. Keep in mind how expensive they are and also know that you could definitely go without one but it does help until you get to Tartarus and can get the better amulets.