Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

School Pips Low Level PvE

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 27, 2016
With the addition of school pips it has made lower level PvE significantly more difficult while questing for some schools. For example I spent months farming packs and bosses for Ratatoskr's Spin spellements for my level 25 Life wizard to have a 4 pip aoe like most other schools at this level. However now that it requires a Life school pip and the school pips aren't available for wizards below level 50 I cannot cast the spell. It makes me just not want to quest on that wizard because I have to hit multiple enemies multiple times whereas on my fire of a similar level I can usually get through fights with just one Meteor Strike.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
brianbier on Nov 30, 2022 wrote:
With the addition of school pips it has made lower level PvE significantly more difficult while questing for some schools. For example I spent months farming packs and bosses for Ratatoskr's Spin spellements for my level 25 Life wizard to have a 4 pip aoe like most other schools at this level. However now that it requires a Life school pip and the school pips aren't available for wizards below level 50 I cannot cast the spell. It makes me just not want to quest on that wizard because I have to hit multiple enemies multiple times whereas on my fire of a similar level I can usually get through fights with just one Meteor Strike.
You can purchase a jewel from the Wizard City Jewel Vendor to allow you to get Archmastery below level 50. This way you can generate school pips.

https://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/NPC:Katherine_RockHammer

It is a tear shaped jewel and costs gold.

Delver
Apr 05, 2022
exp613 on Dec 1, 2022 wrote:
You can purchase a jewel from the Wizard City Jewel Vendor to allow you to get Archmastery below level 50. This way you can generate school pips.

You're such a gem on these forums! It's always great to see you posting!

However, yes! There is a new jewel sold by Katherine RockHammer that gives you a tear shaped jewel called "Cracked Archmastery Opal +1" that allows you to use Archmastery at lower levels!

Survivor
Aug 31, 2009

Actually there are 2. A Tear and a Square. Both cost just above 10k gold.

In my opinion the cost is a little anti-low level. Seeing as you not only need to buy the gem at 10k gold but also get an equipment that can use that gem not to mention breaking the socket if it needs it.

Delver
Mar 30, 2014
That is not the only problem with archmastery. Yes, it's terrible for low levels but even over level 100, I often don't get an archmastery pip on the first turn. If it's a first turn kill, why would I pack a spell I often can't use on the first turn? If it's not a first turn kill, then I need a bigger hit so why would I wait and then use a smaller one? My hard won lore spells have no place in my deck anymore. Not happy about this.

KI, mastery is nice and all but I already had mastery amulets. I'd like to be able to use my own school spells again please. And I don't see how any of this enhances school identity when I'm blocked from using my own school spells that other wizards can use just as easily, (perhaps more easily? not sure whether you get more school pips at higher levels?).

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
marshalknight on Dec 4, 2022 wrote:
Actually there are 2. A Tear and a Square. Both cost just above 10k gold.

In my opinion the cost is a little anti-low level. Seeing as you not only need to buy the gem at 10k gold but also get an equipment that can use that gem not to mention breaking the socket if it needs it.
I don't have the data but I suspect most true newbies (i.e. those without a higher level wizard to feed them gold/items) aren't learning lore spells.

Defender
May 22, 2012
Robobot1747 on Dec 6, 2022 wrote:
I don't have the data but I suspect most true newbies (i.e. those without a higher level wizard to feed them gold/items) aren't learning lore spells.
You're forgetting those players are getting spells from packs!

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Kane master wizard on Dec 6, 2022 wrote:
I don't think there's a significant number of wizards that are a) spending tens of thousands of crowns on packs for lore spells and b) unable to make 10k gold. Honestly just selling the garbage the packs drop should get you there.

Survivor
Aug 22, 2009

There is also a square shaped Archmastery + 1 gem from the same vendor.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Kane master wizard on Dec 6, 2022 wrote:
This exactly! While you can argue on the idea of packs all you want, its undeniable that people DO buy them (me included). I like the mechanic, but it could use a few tweaks, and probably could have gone through more testing and player feedback before pushing through to public access.

Explorer
Jun 13, 2010
Life is a support school. I made mine in 2010 when it was pure support and rebirth was the 48 spell, and quested through celestia with nothing but centaur. I don't think rat spin was necessary in the first place, if you want to be hitting hard and fast then play your fire.