Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are life minions worth using before level 30?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 05, 2022
I just got access to a "life minion" for my life wizard. Posts here have varied in opinions, but most early posts don't recommend them. However, these were posts that were 15 years ago, so I thought I would ask some of you life Wizard experts.. Today, are life minions worth using?

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Again, sometimes. If you're soloing especially. In a group setting less so.

It just depends on your playstyle. I like to think that I have a friend when I summon a minion regardless of the school.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I have to preface my answer a bit with this information: my life wears Shadoe's Boots of Justice, a regular bazaar bought tunic (at level 35 currently, she's wearing the Topiary Tunic I believe), and she has a Zeus hat. So with her gear, she has a 44 damage and 18 resistance. With that said - I've probably only used my life minion a few times, and I recently took her out of my deck all together. I got tired of discarding the card because I never seemed to need her. I also have a Kookaburra pet on my life, though, and she's trained up to Ancient, so she has a Leafstorm card that is an AOE, so she usually kills almost everything in 1-3 turns. Usually it's blade, blade, (and sometimes a third blade, depending on the boss) Leafstorm unless it's a boss with more (like a ton of) hit points. Then I add a feint or more traps as needed.

So, no. I don't use my life minion. The life minion, however, is a good minion. Before I kept a small deck, I used to buy treasure cards of that particular minion just so I would have a healer TC available in case of an emergency. So to anyone who doesn't buy crowns minions, and who doesn't have crowns or Zeus or Senator's gear at level 30+, i would definitely recommend having her in your deck. Below L30, meh, I maybe used her a few times. But that's just because I got my pet early and I didn't really have to use the standard cards given to me in Wizard City.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2022
Explorer
Mar 28, 2009
I agree that a lot depends on your playstyle. Most aggressive players don't care for minions who use their traps, etc., and cannot be depended upon to provide blades or healing when it is needed. All of the early minions were created with very basic spells and pretty simple intelligence. I personally believe that in difficult battles, they are better than being completely solo if the player works with them as they cast and not expect them to perform as if they were another player.

Keep in mind that you can also summon a second minion using Monstrology treasure cards, so that you can have a team of 3 on your side. If you prefer to do most of the work yourself, then you won't find either of these strategies useful.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
As others have stated, use of minions if more of personal game play preference.

I choose not to use them as I have no control over what the minion does and they invariably use my feints and traps. Minions in W101 would be more useful if, like in P101, you could control the minion the way your pirate can control the actions of the companions.

Defender
Feb 03, 2012
Halloween Chick on May 18, 2022 wrote:
I agree that a lot depends on your playstyle. Most aggressive players don't care for minions who use their traps, etc., and cannot be depended upon to provide blades or healing when it is needed. All of the early minions were created with very basic spells and pretty simple intelligence. I personally believe that in difficult battles, they are better than being completely solo if the player works with them as they cast and not expect them to perform as if they were another player.

Keep in mind that you can also summon a second minion using Monstrology treasure cards, so that you can have a team of 3 on your side. If you prefer to do most of the work yourself, then you won't find either of these strategies useful.

I've never been able to summon a second minion. Whenever I call for another minion the first dissappears and the second takes its place.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Mackenzie Moondrea... on Jun 6, 2022 wrote:
I've never been able to summon a second minion. Whenever I call for another minion the first dissappears and the second takes its place.
Using Monstrology is different than summoning a minion even though the end result is the same. You can summon one minion, and one Monstrology ally for all schools but myth, who can summon a second Monstrology ally. If you cast life minion twice, yes, the second one replaces the first.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2009
Mackenzie Moondrea... on Jun 6, 2022 wrote:
You cannot summon two of the same type of minion. You can have your School minion and a Monstrology minion. Summoning a second one of the same type will always replace the earlier one.

You should be able to summon your Sprite Guardian as well as a Gobbler Scouter (or whatever summon you create with your Animus).