Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

MUCH Better Crafting

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 05, 2022
While this game seems to encourage crafting, it really doesn't as a result of many unfortunate decisions.
1. First, there are FAR TOO Few reagents ESPECIALLY the rarer reagents. For example, I have been searching all over for scrap iron in Marlybone , which are few and far between. Even worse, when they do appear in the bazaar,w which is uncommon, someone snaps it up faster than I can say Whoops!! There must be some bots buying this stuff.

2.This wouldn't be horrible if there weren't the double whammy of requiring MUCH too many reagents. There should be fewer types of reagents required and less of each reagent. As of now, crafting is more of a bust for these reason.Please consider making changes to this. Before I get someone saying "yes, but there are reagent packages," we shouldn't have to spend more money on these packages. We should be able to find them.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
1. Regarding Scrap Iron in MB -

I've found the easiest method of gathering this is to do a loop around the first area of MB, where all of the shops are, and then to change servers and repeat that until you have enough.

2. The only thing I've ever had to purchase reagent packs for, in the crowns shop, are the reagent's to make sunstones, and that's only because I'm impatient and don't want to try to gather up enough sandstone to make them with. I've found method 1 in gathering reagents in an area that you know drops them works very well for most reagents (i.e. the first shop area in MB for scrap iron/mist wood, Stone Town in ZF for sandstone/stone blocks/black lotus, etc.).

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Something else to keep in mind.

The "rare" reagents need on one world,(Scrap Iron in Marleybone for example) do show up with greater frequency in the next world at least in the first arc. Not so much in the second.

One thing I do is when I am doing my Daily Gravulum on higher level wizard and see reagents that I KNOW my lower level wizards will need is to grab them and then use shared bank to give it to my need y lower level wizard.

But yeah, Realm hopping as described by Halimeda works as well.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
the biggest issue I have with crafting, is that for many of us, it's pointless. We want gear, not decorations. You want to decorate? Good on you, have fun with it :) However, Im not that invested in the game like that. I want better gear, and gear that is NOT dual schools all the time.. That is something that the gear rebalance needs to fix as well. I'm fine with finding the reagents I need, though there does need to be a balance between reagent totals and rarity of item the crafting produces. There should be more transmutes as well. From basic jewels, to greater jewels, to perfect jewels, etc (sapphire reagent for example). Amber's transmute needs to be changed, spring --> sonic spring recipe needs to be added. Transmuting up AND down needs to happen.

Defender
May 22, 2012
Halimeda on May 11, 2022 wrote:
1. Regarding Scrap Iron in MB -

I've found the easiest method of gathering this is to do a loop around the first area of MB, where all of the shops are, and then to change servers and repeat that until you have enough.

2. The only thing I've ever had to purchase reagent packs for, in the crowns shop, are the reagent's to make sunstones, and that's only because I'm impatient and don't want to try to gather up enough sandstone to make them with. I've found method 1 in gathering reagents in an area that you know drops them works very well for most reagents (i.e. the first shop area in MB for scrap iron/mist wood, Stone Town in ZF for sandstone/stone blocks/black lotus, etc.).
Back in the day that is exactly where I would farm for Scrap Iron.

A little tip for dayerider is to go to the commons in Wiz City and ask if someone will give you a lift to outside the Shadow Palace in Khrysalis. It's a small area packed with reagents to farm including Deep Mushroom, Scrap Iron, Stone Block(you will be needing lots of this in the next crafting quests!) Ore and more. Then just switching realms and collect etc etc BTW mark it so you can come back another time without needing to ask for a lift. It's a great spot for lots of reagents!

While low level crafting can be grindy it's not too bad especially when you get in the habit of picking everything up as you play. Gardening can help with some harder reagents. Oh and don't forget to buy transmutes as and when you can, you'll need them.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2009
Crafting needs an overhaul -- from the earliest worlds -- to make it so that craftable gear is actually useful to the wizards who are questing when they want/need the gear. By the time we meet the gear recipe vendors in Krokotopia, we are now well-past the Level 15 offerings, and so on up throughout the Spiral.

Someone in those early days also thought it would be clever to HIDE the various recipe vendors throughout the worlds, so that questing wizards needed to hunt down the items for their school. This makes NO sense in the grand scheme, and can be super frustrating for new players who are maybe interested in crafting useful gear. Again - by the time they find the recipes they could have used, they are already well past the level. These recipes vendors could certainly be moved to a more accessible location in The Oasis.

Gardening is the solution if a player doesn't have the patience to harvest reagents. There are several plants that drop Scrap Iron.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Kane master wizard on May 14, 2022 wrote:
Back in the day that is exactly where I would farm for Scrap Iron.

A little tip for dayerider is to go to the commons in Wiz City and ask if someone will give you a lift to outside the Shadow Palace in Khrysalis. It's a small area packed with reagents to farm including Deep Mushroom, Scrap Iron, Stone Block(you will be needing lots of this in the next crafting quests!) Ore and more. Then just switching realms and collect etc etc BTW mark it so you can come back another time without needing to ask for a lift. It's a great spot for lots of reagents!

While low level crafting can be grindy it's not too bad especially when you get in the habit of picking everything up as you play. Gardening can help with some harder reagents. Oh and don't forget to buy transmutes as and when you can, you'll need them.
I think you mean the original poster, not me. I have no issues finding reagents and yes, the shadow palace area is awesome for gaining reagents quickly

Defender
Dec 27, 2014
dayerider on May 16, 2022 wrote:
I think you mean the original poster, not me. I have no issues finding reagents and yes, the shadow palace area is awesome for gaining reagents quickly
oops I meant Sandytaxman1002 thanks for saying!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
king lucas on May 16, 2022 wrote:
oops I meant Sandytaxman1002 thanks for saying!
no worries :) 's'all good!