Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Creatures, Revised

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Alright, Shadow Creatures; Dark Nova, Dark Fiend, and Dark Shepherd. To my knowledge, nobody thinks of using these spells in serious play. Why? Because their power and mechanics are not as strong compared to other spells from other schools of magic.

Being the only spells in the game that cost two Shadow Pips, especially with how long it currently takes for them to actually deal damage, warrents these spells not often being considered. This is especially true when compared to their current damage output; it's easier to use Storm Owl or Abominable Weaver than use to use Dark Nova, especially because Dark Nova and other Shadow Creatures cannot be enchanted with Sun School Enchantments.

Therefore, I would like to propose some radical changed to how Shadow Creatures work, in order to make them more often considered.

1: Increase the average damage of Shadow Creatures significantly.

Being risky spells that reasonably take the longest time to be used, I think that Shadow Creatures should also have some of the highest damage output in the game. This would involve increasing the damage they do by several hundred numbers. For example, I am thinking of Dark Nova having an average damage output of roughly 2100 damage. Does this sound a bit extreme? Yes, but the risk involved in using these spells, in my opinion, validates this change.

2: Give us the option to use Shadow Creatures early.

This may sound strange but hear me out. Essentially, when we cast a Shadow Creature, I suggest that a button should appear in the card select menu that will allow us to release the Shadow Creature early. This will mean that the Shadow Creature will attack as normal, just at the round we choose it to. This would be balanced out by Wizards releasing it early running the risk of Shadow Backlash, and the spell not being as powerful as if they had chosen to please it first.

3: Give these spells some sort of extra effect to make them more significant.

Shadow Creatures, as they are, lack any meaningful secondary effect like those seen on Shadow Enhanced Spells. In order to make these spells more appealing, they should do something more then just damage, along with a secondary effect if they are pleased, according to the Creature's nature

Dark Nova is described as a creature who destroys opponents with overwhelming crushing force. To represent this, I suggest that Dark Nova should have an innate bonus to its Pierce rating, somewhere around the 30%-40% range. If it is allowed to reach a certain level of strength (by pleasing it enough), it would also be fun to see it destroy an opponent's Aura or attempt a stun.

Dark Fiend is described as a creature that likes to remove all obstacles to hitting its opponent. To represent this, I suggest that Dark Fiend attempts a Mass Pierce before attacking, trying to remove the Shields that might otherwise block their damage output. Applying a small Weakness effect might also be appropriate, if they are allowed to become stronger.

Dark Shepherd is described as a creature that is adept at leeching the life from their caster's enemies. To represent this, I suggest that Dark Shepherd's health drain restores 75% health to the caster, instead of the usual 50%. A Pacify effect or Mass Infection effect might also be fitting if Dark Shepherd is pleased.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I'd just like to highlight for a moment why Shadow Creatures need to be improved upon:

1: Too little reward for too much risk. Shadow Creatures, as a mechanic, are risky to use. The sheer time it takes for you to actually cast the spell and wait for the Shadow Creature to attack leaves you vulnerable. By extension, the Backlash is also risky. It's easier and more time-efficient to use another spell.

2: Too low damage. I know that the damage of Shadow Creatures is fairly good, but there are comparable spells in the game that lessen their significance. Dark Nova doesn't even do as much damage as Storm Owl. When you take into consideration that there is very little that can boost Shadow damage, that Shadow Creatures cannot be enchanted with Sun school magic, and that they are still affected by common Shields and negative Charms, it is clear that their damage needs to be upped to be usable.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
This is because they were designed before the spell audit when they decided that a Shadow pip was worth 3.6 pips. I like your suggestions and hope that they make changes to them in the future. I too find it frustrating when spells get left behind.

Defender
Oct 16, 2014
I think the problem is more that either than jewels and shadow rating, we never get specific gear/stats.

A) I would love to see a gearset aimed towards the Shadow School, which would have stats similar to to school-specific gear except the shadow rating would be a lot higher to gain the necessary shadow pips as well have a "backlash resistance" stat so you don't die after 4-5 uses xD.

B) Like the Darkmoor gear, give gear that also include shadow school stats. I was excited when I first saw shadow damage and universal damage on my Darkmoor hat, as I thought there would be gear with better shadow stats as we level up to properly assist the spell. However this never happened.