Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wandless Magic

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 09, 2013
I think one of the things we should be able to do is stitch wand stats to an item link that basically means we just use our hands to cast spells, which is also what some of the PVE mobs do.

Or, if this might not be possible, have gloves we can equip and stitch that. I personally like the idea of wandless magic. In the HP Universe, some of the greatest wizards of all time cast spells without the use of a wand, so it would be interesting to introduce this into the game.

KI please make this a thing!!!

Explorer
Jul 25, 2010
Gloves replacing wands and using the wandless cast animation actually sounds really neat.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
I have been thinking this for YEARS. The animation when you don't have a wand equipped is really cool, honestly, and I'd love to do it more. Even if they needed to add "something"... make a mini animation for our hands. Fire could have, well, fire. Ice could- similarly, have ice. Storm could have lightning on their hands; Myth could have cyan swirls of magic, Life could have branches, Death could just have dark smoke, Balance could have sand... something small, similar to gloves. Especially as we have magic literally coming out of us in the newest storylines, it would be marvelous.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Honestly, the magical focus enhancing the power of spells is a great piece of lore that I DON'T feel should be downplayed or reduced with an idea like this.

Wands and magical foci enhance magic, and without them, magic takes time and is weaker. This is not just wizard101 lore, but common magical lore across most magic systems. Some magic systems even require different foci for different uses!

The wands so far have kept to that philosophy.

If you want a hand-y stitch, there is the hands of fate wand that allows for hand-based casting. I am fully aware people are excited about the wandless casting animation, but I feel that wandless casting being weaker is good for the world lore. Addressing gloves, there has been no form of glove, other than the hands of fate, that is made of a magical material. In fact, I can't think of ANY wand that is made from cloth in the game. People are welcome to correct me on this, but there would, again, need to be a justification for it Lore wise.

The game is surprisingly deep with the lore and dicsussions like this have come up several times over the years. While never stated directly, KI does care about the spiral as a cohesive world and want to see it's stories be understood.

Unless the devs want to SIGNIFICANTLY change the lore of their world, continuing with wanded casting being more powerful makes sense, and sadly, that means that wandless casting will be niche and not often used. I don't personally have an issue with that, though. It just means it's a fun easter egg for people to find as they play.

I know I probably won't make friends with this opinion here, but I felt it necessary to post my opinion here. Wands are part of the magic system, and just like we can't cast with a hat, we can't use gloves as a magical focus.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
rest on Jan 7, 2022 wrote:
Honestly, the magical focus enhancing the power of spells is a great piece of lore that I DON'T feel should be downplayed or reduced with an idea like this.

Wands and magical foci enhance magic, and without them, magic takes time and is weaker. This is not just wizard101 lore, but common magical lore across most magic systems. Some magic systems even require different foci for different uses!

The wands so far have kept to that philosophy.

If you want a hand-y stitch, there is the hands of fate wand that allows for hand-based casting. I am fully aware people are excited about the wandless casting animation, but I feel that wandless casting being weaker is good for the world lore. Addressing gloves, there has been no form of glove, other than the hands of fate, that is made of a magical material. In fact, I can't think of ANY wand that is made from cloth in the game. People are welcome to correct me on this, but there would, again, need to be a justification for it Lore wise.

The game is surprisingly deep with the lore and dicsussions like this have come up several times over the years. While never stated directly, KI does care about the spiral as a cohesive world and want to see it's stories be understood.

Unless the devs want to SIGNIFICANTLY change the lore of their world, continuing with wanded casting being more powerful makes sense, and sadly, that means that wandless casting will be niche and not often used. I don't personally have an issue with that, though. It just means it's a fun easter egg for people to find as they play.

I know I probably won't make friends with this opinion here, but I felt it necessary to post my opinion here. Wands are part of the magic system, and just like we can't cast with a hat, we can't use gloves as a magical focus.
I think a lot of the lore that you mention is probably more your own head cannon and relating to the real world/other magic systems than anything established in game. There may be some examples of that, but overall I feel like that's a relatively minor issue.

I do agree that it would be interesting for them to address it with a lore perspective, but also I honestly would be happy if they included magic "gloves/energy hands whatever" regardless. Many magic users in other media use rings or amulets to as their foci. In lore, we already have Mastery Amulets that allow for us to better utilize spells outside of our specialization. So yes, I think that it would make sense for a Ring or an amulet to also be the "weapon" of choice. Dr. Strange just had a gauntlet/bracer thing that teleported bad guys recently in the newest Spiderman. They also use little mementos/relics in game such as grimoires, fancy eggs, compasses. Rasputin uses a Reliquary.

I'd honestly also be happy if they included more wands as a whole. I strongly dislike using the swords and that only leaves me with staff options.