Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please rename solemn candelabra

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 18, 2013
Um, if those new items are holiday items, then they should be given their respected names.
The item called 'solemn candelabra' looks a lot like what is known as a 'Menorah'.

If it is meant to be a Menorah, then please name it so. It feels disrespectful to call it by any other name.

Please do the right thing and change the name of solemn candelabra if it was meant to be a Menorah.

If it is not meant to be a Menorah, then I do not know what holiday it is supposed to represent. Perhaps that information can be shared here in a reply. Thank you.

Administrator
stemogstel on Sep 30, 2021 wrote:
Um, if those new items are holiday items, then they should be given their respected names.
The item called 'solemn candelabra' looks a lot like what is known as a 'Menorah'.

If it is meant to be a Menorah, then please name it so. It feels disrespectful to call it by any other name.

Please do the right thing and change the name of solemn candelabra if it was meant to be a Menorah.

If it is not meant to be a Menorah, then I do not know what holiday it is supposed to represent. Perhaps that information can be shared here in a reply. Thank you.
We do the same for all holiday items, such as the winter items (ex: Holiday Trees and Presents), as well as with the spring items (ex: Spring Chicken Pet and the Bunny Pots), and the Celebration Candleholder. We try to stay more generic with these items. I understand your frustration, but unfortunately we are not able to use specifics on any of these items. Hope this helps to clarify.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
Maceryn on Oct 5, 2021 wrote:
We do the same for all holiday items, such as the winter items (ex: Holiday Trees and Presents), as well as with the spring items (ex: Spring Chicken Pet and the Bunny Pots), and the Celebration Candleholder. We try to stay more generic with these items. I understand your frustration, but unfortunately we are not able to use specifics on any of these items. Hope this helps to clarify.
This is not done for all holiday items. I will list several items that are distinct.

- Christmas Elf - this 1 pet alone proves my point. Everything else I mention after this does not need be commented on as this 1 item is all I need say.

- All the items with "Yule" or "Yuletide" in their name as the online dictionary refers to the definition of yuletide being christmastide. This includes various Yule packs, Yuletide Spirit pet, Yuletoy Fish, yuletide buffet table, etc.
I understand yule and yuletide may have other origins so this example can be discredited, but wizard101 has a love of christmas and it is obvious as to what holiday this is referring to.
- Noel. A quick search says "Noël, French for Christmas / Noel, another name for a Christmas carol".
An example is Torch of Noel Wand.
- Santa clothing.
- Trees. Boon tree. Big Holiday Tree. The giant christmas tree that appears every "holiday" season and once a week in July. The game literally promotes that week as 'Christmas in July'.
- Holiday wreath and holiday fireplace. We all know what holiday these represent. I would actually prefer you just call it what it is but if these if the word "holiday" is all-inclusive to mean any holiday then KI can easily change the name of 'solemn candelabra' (which I find disrespectful, offensive, and a bit ignorant) to something a bit more cheery. I do appreciate the effort but please change the name of this item. I would have preferred the name of the Menorah to be called 'celebration candleholder' instead of solemn candelabra which just does not represent a Menorah.

I did a quick internet search of the 2 words, "solemn" and "candelabra" to see if it can be dignified and the conclusion is kids doing the same search would not have an inkling what this item represents. The word solemn seems too gloomy and sad, too serious. One of the definitions for 'solemn' is "not cheerful or smiling; serious". A candelabra image search does not even show a Menorah. These 2 words combined are meaningless to the holiday. A Menorah represents a miracle of MIRACLES. The holiday in which we light the Menorah is literally a Festival of Lights. Yet the game has had 'Festival of Lights Scepter' as wand for christmas.

I have played this game a long long time and I have farmed every holiday wand dropping from various bosses. I know the names of several wands have changed throughout the years. I had to update my hand-written list each time it did. There is no reason to keep this item named solemn candelabra when I have given plenty of reason for it to be changed.

I rather it be named something cheerful. If you must insist on the latter word, here are some suggestions:
-Festival of Lights Candelabra/Candleholders/Candelabrum
-Holiday Candelabra/Candelabrum/etc.
-Celebration Candelabra/Candelabrum/etc.
-Miraculous Candleholders/etc.
-Miracle of Miracles Candelabra/etc.
-Holy Candleholders/etc.
-Holiday Lamp.
-Menorah.

Why not just call it what it is? Menorah. Plain and simple. All the examples you tried proving your case with were to show that KI tries to stay more generic as you say but I have given examples that show that is not always the case. Regardless, is the word "Menorah" NOT generic enough? Not everyone will know what holiday a Menorah is for but they all know what holiday that Santa gear and christmas elf is for. I have even just done another internet search and found this, "Using the generic word “menorah” ..." The word "menorah" can be considered generic. The word KI is wanting to exclude in this case is "Chanukah", not 'Menorah'.

I feel so strongly about this that I have taken all this time to make these posts about it when I really just want to get back to the game. I would like to think KI wants to represent each religion/culture/individuality with the utmost respect and I am trying to help you here with the one item representing me and my people. My advice here should not be taken lightly. I am asking that KI give this a lot more thought. I (and others) have been requesting this item for years and I am disappointed, but I remain hopeful. I solemnly ask again, please rename solemn candelabra.

Administrator
stemogstel on Oct 17, 2021 wrote:
This is not done for all holiday items. I will list several items that are distinct.

- Christmas Elf - this 1 pet alone proves my point. Everything else I mention after this does not need be commented on as this 1 item is all I need say.

- All the items with "Yule" or "Yuletide" in their name as the online dictionary refers to the definition of yuletide being christmastide. This includes various Yule packs, Yuletide Spirit pet, Yuletoy Fish, yuletide buffet table, etc.
I understand yule and yuletide may have other origins so this example can be discredited, but wizard101 has a love of christmas and it is obvious as to what holiday this is referring to.
- Noel. A quick search says "Noël, French for Christmas / Noel, another name for a Christmas carol".
An example is Torch of Noel Wand.
- Santa clothing.
- Trees. Boon tree. Big Holiday Tree. The giant christmas tree that appears every "holiday" season and once a week in July. The game literally promotes that week as 'Christmas in July'.
- Holiday wreath and holiday fireplace. We all know what holiday these represent. I would actually prefer you just call it what it is but if these if the word "holiday" is all-inclusive to mean any holiday then KI can easily change the name of 'solemn candelabra' (which I find disrespectful, offensive, and a bit ignorant) to something a bit more cheery. I do appreciate the effort but please change the name of this item. I would have preferred the name of the Menorah to be called 'celebration candleholder' instead of solemn candelabra which just does not represent a Menorah.

I did a quick internet search of the 2 words, "solemn" and "candelabra" to see if it can be dignified and the conclusion is kids doing the same search would not have an inkling what this item represents. The word solemn seems too gloomy and sad, too serious. One of the definitions for 'solemn' is "not cheerful or smiling; serious". A candelabra image search does not even show a Menorah. These 2 words combined are meaningless to the holiday. A Menorah represents a miracle of MIRACLES. The holiday in which we light the Menorah is literally a Festival of Lights. Yet the game has had 'Festival of Lights Scepter' as wand for christmas.

I have played this game a long long time and I have farmed every holiday wand dropping from various bosses. I know the names of several wands have changed throughout the years. I had to update my hand-written list each time it did. There is no reason to keep this item named solemn candelabra when I have given plenty of reason for it to be changed.

I rather it be named something cheerful. If you must insist on the latter word, here are some suggestions:
-Festival of Lights Candelabra/Candleholders/Candelabrum
-Holiday Candelabra/Candelabrum/etc.
-Celebration Candelabra/Candelabrum/etc.
-Miraculous Candleholders/etc.
-Miracle of Miracles Candelabra/etc.
-Holy Candleholders/etc.
-Holiday Lamp.
-Menorah.

Why not just call it what it is? Menorah. Plain and simple. All the examples you tried proving your case with were to show that KI tries to stay more generic as you say but I have given examples that show that is not always the case. Regardless, is the word "Menorah" NOT generic enough? Not everyone will know what holiday a Menorah is for but they all know what holiday that Santa gear and christmas elf is for. I have even just done another internet search and found this, "Using the generic word “menorah” ..." The word "menorah" can be considered generic. The word KI is wanting to exclude in this case is "Chanukah", not 'Menorah'.

I feel so strongly about this that I have taken all this time to make these posts about it when I really just want to get back to the game. I would like to think KI wants to represent each religion/culture/individuality with the utmost respect and I am trying to help you here with the one item representing me and my people. My advice here should not be taken lightly. I am asking that KI give this a lot more thought. I (and others) have been requesting this item for years and I am disappointed, but I remain hopeful. I solemnly ask again, please rename solemn candelabra.
Hey! I'm so sorry, I did try to do a bunch of research to try to find Holiday items to prove that there wasn't evidence of that in the game, but two pairs of eyes are better than one. Yes, the Christmas Elf is all you needed to point out, I'll ask to see if the Solemn Candelabra can be renamed, and let you know what becomes of that. Again, I'm sorry about my confusion.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes..." -Obi-wan Kenobi

That being said, yes the Christmas Elf should probably be renamed to Holiday or Yuletide Elf.

It is not a crime for a company to refer to Christmas, or Hanukkah, or Halloween or Juneteenth or anything else. They are private entities. Stemogstel the terms of Yuletide, Noel etc. are archaic translations meant to distance themselves from the word "Christmas" which has religious as well as commercial implications. I don't think it is meant to cause offense. As is the "Solemn" meaning more along the lines of "reverence". That all being said, I wholeheartedly concur, that a name change would be appropriate. Holiday Menorah I feel is an appropriate title. I also liked your other names for items including (keeping in mind there are a couple of items released at the same time):
-Festival of Lights Candelabra
-Holiday Candelabra
-Celebration Candelabra
-Miraculous Candleholders/Candelabra.
-Holiday Lamp (for oil lamp)
-Holiday Menorah

Moral of the story: KI is trying, and they are making changes. (See the recent chat icon changes allowing for more LGBTQ+ expression.) Could they have done this sooner? Probably, but at least an attempt is being made now. Thanks Maceryn for looking into the name change! #Weallknowwhatamenorahhanukkahandchristmasareevenifyouuseadifferentnamebutitsokayeitherwaysolongasitsconsistentgang

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
I'd also like to point out that "Jew" is censored in open chat, while others ("Christian", "Muslim", "Hindu", and "Buddhist") are not. I understand the desire to keep people from saying harmful things. I also want KI to recognize how this appears counterintuitive, similar to their censorship of words regarding the LGBTQ community. I recently deleted a character I've had for FOURTEEN YEARS because I am still unable to change their name, and I've no desire to be referred to as a name that I no longer use while in game. It's disappointing to feel censored about my own identity by KI, even though I recognize that the desire is to protect people from harm.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
Replying to exp613 and rtdv ...

exp613 - In referring to your hashtag: You might be surprised by the reaction many wizards give when they hear the word 'Menorah'. My experience with wiz players is they have no idea what a Menorah is.
Imagine if wiz were to let us have a dreidel ... their heads might ... spin.

rtdv - It's as if KI thinks the word "Jew" is bad or something since it turns up red and not allowed to be typed.

Do you guys even know the ignorance some have? A popular wizard had said to me that being Jewish is something we get to choose. I'll leave it at that.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
(correction, 12 years, i haven't had an account for 14 years, i just can't do math)

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
rtdv on Oct 23, 2021 wrote:
I'd also like to point out that "Jew" is censored in open chat, while others ("Christian", "Muslim", "Hindu", and "Buddhist") are not. I understand the desire to keep people from saying harmful things. I also want KI to recognize how this appears counterintuitive, similar to their censorship of words regarding the LGBTQ community. I recently deleted a character I've had for FOURTEEN YEARS because I am still unable to change their name, and I've no desire to be referred to as a name that I no longer use while in game. It's disappointing to feel censored about my own identity by KI, even though I recognize that the desire is to protect people from harm.
I recently saw a post on the Wizard101 subreddit pointing out that "Jewish" is censored in open chat while "neo-Nazi" isn't... when considering how they are allowing players to refer to a hate group that literally revolves around anti-Semitism, their argument for "keeping people from saying harmful things" is clearly not the reason why Jew/Jewish is censored...

As for the rest of the thread -- OP, I agree wholeheartedly! KI finally adds a Menorah to the game, but y'all choose to refer to it as "solemn"?? I don't think "candelabra" is terrible (although I agree with exp613 that "Holiday Menorah" would be the best title), but why did y'all feel it was necessary to describe it with a negative adjective? None of the Christmas themed items (to my knowledge) have any negative prefixes, so why should this one? Even if this wasn't intentionally being disrespectful, it still comes off that way, so I sincerely hope you will consider changing the title to something a little more cheery.

Administrator
Hello all!

I wanted to give you an update on the situation.

Right now, on Test Realm, the name of the "Solemn Candelabra" has been changed to "Holiday Menorah"

Once Test Realm hits the live servers the new title will show up.

Thank you all for voicing your thoughts and ideas for improvement here.

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
Maceryn on Nov 16, 2021 wrote:
Hello all!

Right now, on Test Realm, the name of the "Solemn Candelabra" has been changed to "Holiday Menorah"

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU! I am so thrilled with this news. This is such a positive story for KingsIsle, what seemed bleak has had a miraculous result. I feel like this is a BIG DEAL, a big win! I feel like I just won the game. I shall retell this story for years to come.

Thanks to all who supported this topic.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
Maceryn on Nov 16, 2021 wrote:
Hello all!

This is a huge deal. This is the first time in my decade+ of the game where I have seen KI directly respond to the needs of players. Thank you.