Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crit Chance bug

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 14, 2018
Hi,
I am a level 139 death wizard with 705 crit and when I got to Karamelle I dropped from around a 90% crit chance to a 70-75% chance. Now at first I just thought "Oh well these mobs are better and probably just have more block. However, I went back to Wizard City and battled a lumbering troll in Cyclops Lane and it was stated that I still only had a 75% chance of crit. Seeing as how crit wasn't introduced until level 50 I assume Wizard City mobs do not have any block so I should be back at the cap of 95% correct?

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
I also noticed that the 4/27 patch messed up critical, as I went from 95% to ~70% too (Max Fire).

My issue is that there is absolutely no evidence that this change was intentional by KI, as the only other known change was the spell Insane Bolt, whose item cards (and probably mob spells) are currently still the old ones.

This to me seems like a number of bugs, as I cannot make heads or tails with how the critical and block system works now. I've swapped my gear to give myself an additional 100 critical and only saw a 2-3% increase, with a decently higher damage bonus of about 10%. The highest I can realistically go is close to 75% in WC.

On my level 52 Myth, I noticed my 28 myth critical which was previously giving me 52% critical (which is admittedly too high) dropped down to 29%. But when I equipped a +28 critical wand, I still have 29% critical with myth and a 23% universal critical.

I have also noticed that the damage boost is largely incorrect too, as I have critical-ed on a 2.0x minion and a 1.1x boss and the hits would be within 25-50% within each other.

Not to mention bosses critical a little too much still, and I've found myself blocking maybe 15% of them, on both wizards. This is exacerbated by the problem that I have no idea what my block percentage is or what the multiplier they have on me. But seemingly, they're doing very close to 2x the damage on me. I've been in teams of people and no matter the difference in block (max ice, fire, storm, life) they all seem to do between 1.7-2x the damage on a crit-through.

Seeing the lack of QA during the changes for a lot of these mechanics and the broken critical/block system released to Live servers last week, I can only guess that these systems were never tested to ensure they work as intended. At least, maybe initially, but certainly not now. I have never seen an enemy block an AOE either, but the damage clearly implies that they did, even if they have the same damage multiplier as one that got crit on. I just don't know what's functioning as intended and what's bugged right now.

It's severely broken, that's for sure. PvE desperately needs rebalanced after all these changes.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
The 4/27 patch had an intentional change to critical by the devs (which I strongly disagree with), but it was intentional. You can read more about this on the Wizard101Devs twitter account. I think they are planned to make more changes, which will hopefully help

In terms of actual numbers, my understanding is that the patch reduced crit chance and multipliers for players and enemies in PvE. Specifically, crit chance now has a limit of level/185. At level 140, that is roughly 76%. Again, I think this is a bad change, just trying to explain what the change was.

As for you confusion about critical and AOE spells, I had the same confusion a while ago. Once I realized what was happening I was disappointed in the crit system. I think this thread may be helpful: https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/critical-with-aoe-spells-8ad6a42578f3767b0178fc801b4a641c