Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New spells decreasing damage per pip by upgrading

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
Can someone explain the logic of the new spells damage to me. Because i really find it puzzling.

We recently had an uprade to make dmg/pip be more consistent in the different schools.
But when it comes to the new spells, the dmg/pip goes down as you uprade them with spellements.
If you downgrade them to lower pips, the dmg/pip goes up. But considering it's become harder to get shadow pips, a low pip attack isn't really usefull, and it's better to use shadow powered attacks as finishers.

And if i neither upgrade or downgrade my new spells, they are not much different, from shadow attacks i already have.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Allan Stormweaver on Dec 17, 2020 wrote:
Can someone explain the logic of the new spells damage to me. Because i really find it puzzling.

We recently had an uprade to make dmg/pip be more consistent in the different schools.
But when it comes to the new spells, the dmg/pip goes down as you uprade them with spellements.
If you downgrade them to lower pips, the dmg/pip goes up. But considering it's become harder to get shadow pips, a low pip attack isn't really usefull, and it's better to use shadow powered attacks as finishers.

And if i neither upgrade or downgrade my new spells, they are not much different, from shadow attacks i already have.
The idea is that you can decrease the pip cost by lowering the damage dealt, or raise the damage dealt by increasing the pip cost. It's meant to give you options about how you want to play, so that two players, despite being the same school, won't necessarily have the same spells. You should pick the option that works best for you.

I personally don't really use shadow spells anymore except in longer fights, so I won't be upgrading or downgrading any of the spells.

Defender
Dec 20, 2008
Shadow spells, in my opinion, feel even less reliable to use. Rarely, I can start fights with a shadow pip and other times, I'll wait about 10-15 turns for a shadow pip. It feels even less consistent than what it used to be. I rarely carry them nowadays. Since I'm a death wizard, I Scarecrow everything since Scarecrow is really overpowered right now.

Now getting into the new shadow spells, I have enough to upgrade the death spell but I'm just don't feel that I'll ever use the card unless I'm doing PvP. The card feels really unimpressive to me. I would rather see an increase in damage and possibly an increase in pip cost than having a low pip spell that doesn't deal much damage.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I only just finished karamelle so I haven't really looked at the new shadowspells spellements stuff (spellements in general are a very grindy/pay to play aspect of the game at current so I havent been bothered with it much at all)
but from what I can tell they might be trying to encourage more strategy beyond throw your best blades and traps up and start hitting.

Like a lot of PvE players probably barely care about the new spell effects like yeah they are nice but barring certain crazy cheating bosses you can get through a lot of the game by just blading up and hitting so they are more likely to just go for damage but in PVP you want that utility for some multi hit chain which is easier to do if the spell is cheap to cast.