Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A shadow spell didn't function properly

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 12, 2016
something strange happened a few moments ago: I used one of the spells, and I noticed that the backlash of the of the dark shepherd spell raised up making it so even if I only cast spells that make the backlash go down during both rounds of the spell, it doesn't make the backlash go all the way down to zero like it used to, this makes it so I take reasonless damage after the shadow process even though I only casted spells that lower the backlash; for this reason, I think that if the process of the dark shepherd spell is just gonna be 2 rounds, the backlash of it should be 20% like it was, not 30%; either that, or the process should be 3 rounds, not 2. I miss being able to not take damage at the end of that spell. a 20% backlash is for a shadow spell that lasts 2 rounds, and a 30% backlash is for a shadow spell that lasts 3 rounds

Survivor
Apr 29, 2010
I agree, I hate it as well, but it's not a bug unfortunately. In the First of the Pet updates they nerfed Shadow spells in both PVE and PVP to always deal damage to the caster. It makes Shadow forms honestly, not feel worth casting when you can just cast say Caterpillar or Mystic for no penalty, hope I didn't give them an idea of what to nerf next!
Since they have made this change, enemy shadow spells have been funky. For one, they are not impacted by this nerf, but that is probably. There's a boss in Khrysalis for example, Archmagus Lorcan, who's shadow form causes him to take a lot of additional damage/attacks from life steal spells such as vampire and shadow shepard which is when I first noticed it. I casted Shadow Shepard when he had multiple minions and it stuck the boss for each minion +1 and healed me each time as well for the damage I assume he would have taken from the Interruption of ally damage before it proceeded to attack the minions, this dealt the the damage to him again. While I was clearing the dungeon it was a nice bonus. I had a monstrology summon, Bane Wyrm with me (cause soloing is tough!) which casted Vampire, which did a very similar result as my shepard did. Made me laugh. Overall the shadow changes make the spells not feel worth it at times though I love how fun they *Were*, the damage makes them unwieldly or annoying to cope with. 'YAY SHEPARD FULL HEALED ME I'M SAVED!' Then it immediately slams me for 500 after casting all it's likes. 'Thought we were bro's shepard!' Honestly I undertand the changes for a PVP stand point, but there is better functions then to punish the players like that, especially as a soloist I need every ounce of health I can get. So getting on my hands and knees to a shadow spell for three turns before getting slapped doesn't make them feel fun anymore. From a cool form/mechanic to disappointment, maybe adding special likes or removing the penalties when say I cast Artorius while in Shrike that it'll not smite me for the health part when it doesn't give me the bonus for the Pierce blade! Goes for Caterpillar too! *Ahem* Old Pet peeve there. Before this nerf, would be understandable, but not with the current changes it hurts too much and locks classes like From gaining full benefit.
Tirade over, Whew, love the game since It came out but your balancing confuses me Kingsisle. The Class has so much potential, please don't screw it up.