Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Khrysalis Fishing

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 21, 2011
Thank you KI for the new Khrysalis fishing. However I have 2 complaints...

Firstly, I am catching WAY too many rare and epic fish from other worlds. I get that the new Khrysalis fishing area is to be challenging, and simply using Winnow Rank 3 and Winnow School to narrow down the field seems almost like cheating if there's no other Rank 3 fish of the same school in the pond, however when I'm in Last Wood, trying to catch a common Butterfly Shrimp, and instead I get three epic Purple Grunions in a row, something doesn't seem right. Likewise when fishing Silent Market for the Long John Silverfish, but instead get several rare King Mackerel from Avalon. If you have to use fish from other worlds to fill the ponds with, please use those of the common variety. An example would be the Freshlava Smelt in Crescent Beach.

Secondly, I don't know how these new fish qualify as Rank 3. When I have +25% fishing luck from gear, and a +25% Minor Fishing Luck elixir in use, and am using the correct school and rank lure, yet still experience a 50% "It Got Away" rate for the new fish, something seems out of whack. It's like the new fish are behaving as if they are Rank 4, even though they do show as Rank 3 when caught. I'm just having WAY too many failures, when I shouldn't be. A +50% luck should be more than enough to ensure a 100% catch rate, and that's not what I've been experiencing. What gives?

Defender
May 31, 2009
Bumping this thread because I'm as jinxed as zfunk when it comes to Khrysalis fishing.

For me it's specifically the Butterfly Shrimp.

Hoping that last night's Maintenance "fixed" my issues I gave this fish another go.

And failed twice. I'm now 0-26

A few more details -

Of the 26 attempts
25 times I had my fishing gear on (+55% luck).
19 times I had my fishing gear AND a minor fishing elixir (+80% total luck)
3 times I had my fishing gear and a MAJOR fishing elixir (+105% total luck)
In each attempt I was using a common spark lure (level 3)

Also worth mentioning that I have over 12,500 fish in my tome.

How is this fish getting away?

I wish I knew what base fishing luck is, but even if it were ZERO then I still would have had 3 attempts where my chance at catching this fish was 105%. Doesn't that make it impossible to get away?

And if base luck (PLUS a common lure!) is even 20% then I would have had 19 attempts where my luck was 100% or more.

How is this fish getting away?!

On 5/12 I submitted a ticket with support and the reply thanked for sharing my thoughts. They also welcomed me to express myself here. I replied that I wasn't sharing my thoughts - I was reporting a bug, to which they replied that "There is no guarantee that you will be able to catch a certain fish." Understood but doesn't 105% fishing luck say otherwise? Of course, my timing could be off and maybe I'm pulling the lure too early, or too late, but what are the chances I've botched the timing 26 times in a row?!

Something is amiss here because the math just does NOT add up.

Anyone else afflicted?

Casp

Survivor
Mar 21, 2011
Going by this guide, the base chance for catching a fish using the correct rank and school lure, is 85%. I suppose it's possible KI tweaked the fishing formula with the update, however I'm not noticing the same phenomenon with other world fish. You're right Caspeen, the math doesn't add up.

Since it's been a month since my last post, I tried my luck again at Last Wood, and out of two rank 3 storm fish winnowed from the pond, one was a Purple Grunion and the other got away.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
So I had issues with this fish for a couple hours. I did not see in your posts whether you had change locations or not.Forgive me if you think this is crazy, but it is how I caught my first one, and several since.

Have you tried the second location in last wood to try and catch the butterfly? After a couple energy elixirs, I decided to go hunting for more spots to fish like I usually do. If you are doing all your attempts in the pond with the waterfall, go down the dirt road at the middle of the pond, turn right into that little knoll area with a transporter immediately on your left. There's a second pond right in front of the other side of that transporter.

1st attempt. Capture. All subsequent attempts, capture. I know it sound weird, but that's how I did it.

Steven Hawk
Transcendent Angler

MAX-
MAX-

Defender
May 31, 2009
Steven Hawk on Jun 6, 2020 wrote:
So I had issues with this fish for a couple hours. I did not see in your posts whether you had change locations or not.Forgive me if you think this is crazy, but it is how I caught my first one, and several since.

Have you tried the second location in last wood to try and catch the butterfly? After a couple energy elixirs, I decided to go hunting for more spots to fish like I usually do. If you are doing all your attempts in the pond with the waterfall, go down the dirt road at the middle of the pond, turn right into that little knoll area with a transporter immediately on your left. There's a second pond right in front of the other side of that transporter.

1st attempt. Capture. All subsequent attempts, capture. I know it sound weird, but that's how I did it.

Steven Hawk
Transcendent Angler

MAX-
MAX-
Thanks for the suggestion, Steven - the answer is yes, I've tried both locations. MOST of the fails come at the big pond, but I've had at least 5 of my 28 fails (0-28 now) at the smaller, hidden pond.

It's worth noting as well that I'm NOT the only one afflicted. I have at least two friends who cannot catch this fish and more on Central have also posted about this.

It's frustrating that Support refuses to acknowledge that this is somehow a glitch. I've begged them to simply confirm that someone has actually looked into what's going on - they haven't. I've asked how the math works out and their only reply is that "there is no guarantee that you will be able to catch a certain fish" - basically, the stock answer that they give to anyone.

But if my luck is over 100%, shouldn't THAT be a guarantee? And that is just ADDED luck that I can see- there's also whatever base luck is, plus whatever luck is added for using a level 3 lure for the right fish school. So although there have been 3 attempts where my added luck was over 100%, I'm sure with base luck and the right lure factored in at least 26 or my 28 fails have been with luck over 100%.

Of course, the insinuation is that I'm pulling the lure too early, or too late, but unless this fish is different than every other fish in the game, I'M NOT!

So how, K I - how is it possible that 28 times in a row this fish has gotten away? The math just doesn't add up.

Madison Lifebringer
Archmage Angler