Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pack-A-Palooza and pay to win

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
So with the pack-a-palooza event coming back to wizard, it has reminded me just how frustrating the process of trying to obtain pack gear can be. Recently, I have been seeing more and more extremely valuble gear be put into these packs for people to open (wands especially). However, this process bars the gear from actually being obtainable to most people, leaving them with the mediocre gear obtainable through farming. Only the people willing to pay crowns and gamble for the items actually have the chance of getting to them. Personally, I just feel like this process pushes people farther and farther away from wizard due to the frustration packs bring. I just wanted to gauge how the community feels about the packs in this game. Do you think they are fair to the player base? Do you think that the gear in packs should stay in the packs, be farm-able, both? What are your thoughts on the topic?

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I can see where the frustration comes in.. though that has never made me want to quit wizard 101. I would however love to see some gear that is able to be farmed... I myself have never once been thru waterworks on any of my wizards across 4 accounts as I have always been able to get pack gear..

When I am bored I farm Loremaster for her spells, finally doing it on my last wizard.. I would love to see more spells also to be farmed for.. maybe in those purchasable instances.. along with gear..

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Luke1774017 on Jul 9, 2019 wrote:
So with the pack-a-palooza event coming back to wizard, it has reminded me just how frustrating the process of trying to obtain pack gear can be. Recently, I have been seeing more and more extremely valuble gear be put into these packs for people to open (wands especially). However, this process bars the gear from actually being obtainable to most people, leaving them with the mediocre gear obtainable through farming. Only the people willing to pay crowns and gamble for the items actually have the chance of getting to them. Personally, I just feel like this process pushes people farther and farther away from wizard due to the frustration packs bring. I just wanted to gauge how the community feels about the packs in this game. Do you think they are fair to the player base? Do you think that the gear in packs should stay in the packs, be farm-able, both? What are your thoughts on the topic?
Since the players buying packs are investing real money, then I believe that the gear in the packs should be slightly better than bazaar issue. Boss gear in this game seems equal to pack ( or bundle ) gear. Players can farm bosses for the better gear without buying packs. KI has balanced gear from packs & gear from bosses. I don't see this as a pay-to-win issue.

Plus, to kick off Pack-A-Palooza players can get a free pack!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I don't think there is much in W101 that is pay-to-win but unfortunately some pack gear (wands and jade gear in particular) really are. I'd definitely like to see these available as drops so buying them is the alternative to farming, rather than being the only option.

I hold this opinion in the interests of fairness and balance. I think it is healthier for the game (especially for PvP) if these items are available as drops too. Personally I am able to buy packs - when I decided to get my life wizzy jade gear I had it within the hour - but it feels wrong for me to have that advantage purely based on finances, especially when it comes to PvP.

Outside of PvP I don't think it makes a huge difference because it benefits the team, but it is still more fun for everyone to have the chance to enjoy these items and be able to build sets that currently have a pay wall to them. The best gear always has very low drops rates and the time/effort required to get them is always pretty intense. I'd like it if these items were available as drops too...even though I'd probably still take the spam-packs-route to get it quicker

I don't think it would lose KI revenue, I think it would encourage people to aim for those sets and spend more time in game achieving it...and many who wouldn't have bought the set will be tempted to buy packs they wouldn't have once they are determined to make that set!