Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please Make Guardian Spirit No PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Anybody who has encountered a player using the Jade/Angel strategy in PvP would agree that it is an extremely frustrating experience. These players will use Guardian Spirit over and over (as if it isn't hard enough to kill them the first time), leaving their opponent no choice but to flee or to wait them out. However, that won't work, because the player using the Jade/Angel strategy will wait an hour and then use Dark Nova or blade/trap stack into an OHKO.

This strategy is both an enormous waste of time for both players, and it leaves a very bad taste in the mouths of those who come in contact with this type of strategy. I see this strategy as one that is essentially "bullying," but the players who use it don't care about their impact on others and thrive in the hate they receive from it.

The benefit from making Guardian Spirit no-PvP would far outweigh the very minimal loss to Life players overall in PvP. Life players who play how every other school plays, by attacking, do not need Guardian Spirit to win, and you will rarely see it used outside the Jade/Angel sphere. Even with a critical heal setup, they would be just fine without Guardian Spirit as they have access to several means of life restoration.

This is the easiest solution to the Jade problem that is frequently brought up- it just needs to be finally implemented. Reducing the Guardian Spirit percentage way back then was not enough to eliminate this problem, and adding big hits (the Scions) was a step in the right direction but was not enough either.

KingsIsle, please please please look into this serious source of frustration that is driving people away from PvP, and, well, driving them insane!

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Having discussed this at length and seen many ideas floating around, I think a good solution would be to change it to a flat 40% revive while ignoring all heal boosts.

Banning things is not always the best solution imo.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Jasmine3429 on May 7, 2019 wrote:
Having discussed this at length and seen many ideas floating around, I think a good solution would be to change it to a flat 40% revive while ignoring all heal boosts.

Banning things is not always the best solution imo.
This solution is fine too, as long as it is easy enough to defeat the opponent before they use Guardian Spirit a second time. Another solution is making it a one time use. Was it really intended to be used over and over again?

These solutions are great, but I see minimal backlash coming from making it no-PvP. As someone who watches and participates in a lot of PvP, Life wizards who use Guardian Spirit and are not using the Jade/Angel strategy are few and far between.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
I think it's best to ban it flat out. Why should all the other 6 schools repeatedly kill a life in the same match? The matches against angels (a life with high resist high, heal boost and use guardian spirit multiple times in a match) are incredibly long and annoying. They abuse guardian spirit, in my opinion. If banning is too extreme then making it so a life can only use a single guardian spirit in the entire match seems like an okay fix.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
XxZexionxX on May 8, 2019 wrote:
This solution is fine too, as long as it is easy enough to defeat the opponent before they use Guardian Spirit a second time. Another solution is making it a one time use. Was it really intended to be used over and over again?

These solutions are great, but I see minimal backlash coming from making it no-PvP. As someone who watches and participates in a lot of PvP, Life wizards who use Guardian Spirit and are not using the Jade/Angel strategy are few and far between.
I would just hate for KI to make it as useless as juju is now, there has to be some happy medium. This is a legitimate life spell with a defined purpose, I am sure it was never "intended" that it could be boosted to give a play and entire extra life, just a second chance.

I feel changing it to a flat healing percent, whatever that winds up being, and having it ignore all heal/critical boosts would be good solution as it allows life to keep the spell, but enables it to be countered by others.

The 40% was chosen based on damage done by other schools at certain levels, so it would not bring the life wizard back to a OHKO, but actually give them a second chance.

Survivor
Apr 16, 2019
Life is a healing school... you guys can’t seriously be surprised at a healing school healing. Is it frustrating? Yes. But banning the spell outright? I think it’s a bad idea. To deal with what you guys are talking about I would suggest a one time cast limit for the spell. But it shouldn’t be banned.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Jade Blade on May 9, 2019 wrote:
Life is a healing school... you guys can’t seriously be surprised at a healing school healing. Is it frustrating? Yes. But banning the spell outright? I think it’s a bad idea. To deal with what you guys are talking about I would suggest a one time cast limit for the spell. But it shouldn’t be banned.
That's what I was thinking! Good idea. No bans, people! Limitations sound like a better idea.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Jade Blade on May 9, 2019 wrote:
It can only be applied to one wizard at a time and is a lot of pips...I don't think spell is the issue! Should we also restrict death wizards from drain spells?

I'm agreeing with you btw, life is a school of healing, that is their forte!

I remember after we won a 4v4 where I was the life healer being accused of 'spamming life spells'. Huh??? You keep 'spamming hits', I'll keep 'spamming heals'...that's kinda my JOB!

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Well well well, i see their is a lot of hate on the most underrated life spell that relies on in/out going boost as well as critical to actually be effective not only that but the price of relatively 5 pips? How is it so that all 6 school should be able to nuke down a life wizard but a life wizard can't retaliate with fail utility spells? Is healing the only solution to surviving pvp matches as life? Is it not many who claim life to be a only a supporting school? If you want to start targeting life heals then you should should start compensating for damage and pierce buff and better utility card or at least update the ones currently unused such as goat monk, sacred charge, luminous weaver etc. If were gonna start putting limits to school spells then lets target spells such as mana burn, super nova, Efreet, burning rampage, insane bolt and lore master. We can all agree that angel strategy is a menace but only if operated going first the only thing that would make angel strategy even more of a nuisance is jading.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
angellifeheart on May 10, 2019 wrote:
Well well well, i see their is a lot of hate on the most underrated life spell that relies on in/out going boost as well as critical to actually be effective not only that but the price of relatively 5 pips? How is it so that all 6 school should be able to nuke down a life wizard but a life wizard can't retaliate with fail utility spells? Is healing the only solution to surviving pvp matches as life? Is it not many who claim life to be a only a supporting school? If you want to start targeting life heals then you should should start compensating for damage and pierce buff and better utility card or at least update the ones currently unused such as goat monk, sacred charge, luminous weaver etc. If were gonna start putting limits to school spells then lets target spells such as mana burn, super nova, Efreet, burning rampage, insane bolt and lore master. We can all agree that angel strategy is a menace but only if operated going first the only thing that would make angel strategy even more of a nuisance is jading.
Using it to revive is one thing and I have no issue with this, being able to revive for 6k+ health is a different issue altogether. This card was meant to give a second chance not an entire new life!

BTW I played an offensive Life and got to warlord as fast as my Balance, so no, life does not need to use these strategies to succeed.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on May 9, 2019 wrote:
It can only be applied to one wizard at a time and is a lot of pips...I don't think spell is the issue! Should we also restrict death wizards from drain spells?

I remember after we won a 4v4 where I was the life healer being accused of 'spamming life spells'. Huh??? You keep 'spamming hits', I'll keep 'spamming heals'...that's kinda my JOB!
The spell is very much the issue when it is used with a Jade setup. In many cases, the opponent simply does not have enough attack power to compete with it. Ice and Balance in particular have a very low chance of having a perfect hand / perfect crits to defeat the opponent with GS, and then again before they can use GS once more.

So, Guardian Spirit is the problem- it leads to a one-sided duel in those cases. These opponents I'm talking about have done a lot of PvP and have high ranks; they aren't just an average PvPer going against these Jades. And they still struggle, even going first, and even after using a reshuffle or two.

A spell shouldn't be able to be exploited this way. I'm totally fine with keeping it in PvP as long as something is done about it, such as limiting it to one use per duel. I do not have a problem with other healing spells and am very much aware that Life was given heals to use them, but this is not okay.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
angellifeheart on May 10, 2019 wrote:
Saying that the Angel strategy is a menace is an understatement. See my post above. It is absolutely not only a menace if they are first. I've seen plenty of very good PvPers having a lot of trouble even from first because they simply lack the attack power to compete with it. I'm talking about Guardian Spirit in the context of a Jade setup, as you can see from my original post, which is where it is being exploited and making duels one-sided.

Again, I take no issue with other life healing spells- I only am talking about Guardian Spirit in the PvP context that I mentioned. It doesn't have to be banned from PvP, but something has to be done!

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Jasmine3429 on May 10, 2019 wrote:
Using it to revive is one thing and I have no issue with this, being able to revive for 6k+ health is a different issue altogether. This card was meant to give a second chance not an entire new life!

BTW I played an offensive Life and got to warlord as fast as my Balance, so no, life does not need to use these strategies to succeed.
A second chance is a new life lol? and btw i did stated the card in it self its not to be blame it only gives 15% out going therefore the issue isnt the card the issue is the bonus stats u can acquire through jade gears which is bonus out going and incoming heals that adds up on total amount of heal. Think of it as damage gears boosting damage and critical gears boosting critical ya know? so there is a lot to consider before attempting to nullify a spell that in all honesty isn't the ideal problem. Lets consider some factors such as are life wizard really playing that badly that they need a second life or is it so that many school now is able to one shot anyone with six to seven thousand health with limited resources at max level? Call me bias but the only nerf to life should be on crit heals pvp only life needs damage buff access to better damage enhance utilities.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on May 9, 2019 wrote:

Although this is fairly true none of this applies to pvp. It really comes down to offensive and defensive strategies. Your definitely right in that i uses 5 pips but people are complaining about it generally because incoming/ outgoing heal boost are added on top of the original 15% boost to the revive heal which means its possible to come back again full health. 4v4 is a waste of time in my opinion due to jade meta ruining pvp atm as for rank you don't really see much if not at all.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
XxZexionxX on May 11, 2019 wrote:
The spell is very much the issue when it is used with a Jade setup. In many cases, the opponent simply does not have enough attack power to compete with it. Ice and Balance in particular have a very low chance of having a perfect hand / perfect crits to defeat the opponent with GS, and then again before they can use GS once more.

So, Guardian Spirit is the problem- it leads to a one-sided duel in those cases. These opponents I'm talking about have done a lot of PvP and have high ranks; they aren't just an average PvPer going against these Jades. And they still struggle, even going first, and even after using a reshuffle or two.

A spell shouldn't be able to be exploited this way. I'm totally fine with keeping it in PvP as long as something is done about it, such as limiting it to one use per duel. I do not have a problem with other healing spells and am very much aware that Life was given heals to use them, but this is not okay.
Why does the solution always have to be taking things away from other players instead of coming up with spell ideas that could be used to counter their strategy? I'm yet to hear a PvPer say they can win too easily with their strategy and that they should be unable to have that advantage...it's always about changing what other people are doing.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone to have more things added, instead of taking things away?

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on May 13, 2019 wrote:
Why does the solution always have to be taking things away from other players instead of coming up with spell ideas that could be used to counter their strategy? I'm yet to hear a PvPer say they can win too easily with their strategy and that they should be unable to have that advantage...it's always about changing what other people are doing.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone to have more things added, instead of taking things away?
Because in pvp their isn't much of a counter when your going second. In fact going first in itself is a counter to going second, hence the first turn advantage being able to predict less that you would have to predict going second. Lets be fair no one here is a jinni or a fortune teller at least, but i guess it also comes down to experience. Another thing to note strategies tend to have a share capacity, where as when one person finds an easy opening to make things much easier or harder for the enemy team not essentially battling which is what pvp is suppose to be about eliminating your opponent within limited time.

Most people tend to abuse such strategies and the best counter to this is to eliminate such method from existing in the first place. Few years ago i remembered K I mentioning giving us high resist or near immunity resist would create such a problem we have today why? because pierce essentially is if not x2 the least for many schools other than fire and storm. That is why the spell shrike was introduce, was it helpful? Not really, why? because it only last 3 turn, it can also be interrupted by preventing players from casting other spells with dispel, mantle or even stun. It doesn't pierce through 85% shield which would still leave your lets say 70%+ resist in tact to tank said damage. The problem with this is resist in itself is permanent. If k i can come up with a way to neutralize resist or just make shrike bypass shields and resist while keeping shield intact then perhaps it would be deemed a little better than what it is right now.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on May 13, 2019 wrote:

I mean I don't see anything inherently wrong with taking a spell away from PvP. Why do you think that's so bad? I think there is just a negative gut reaction to the word "ban." In reality, it would negatively impact very few players for the benefit of the vast majority of PvPers. KI could also come up with ways to counter Guardian Spirit other than Doom and Gloom, which is what you're saying. But the thing is it's just so much easier to fix it the former way than the latter.

At the end of the day I just want something done about Guardian Spirit. It needs to have some sort of limit on it. Make it so it can only be used once, or even twice. I don't think the spell was designed to give somebody infinite life, and that's exactly what is happening with Jades.

Please KingsIsle, consider doing something about Guardian Spirit in your next PvP update. It is very important to the PvP community!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
@angel and zexion :)

The reason I say this is because humans adapt. We can nerf/ban something then a different strategy/spell becomes 'the problem', so we nerf/ban that...rinse and repeat...we have a spiral that implodes on itself until we're all standing in the arena with zero stats and nothing but minor strikes.

There will always be a problem to overcome, be it a strategy or a spell or gear etc. Surely instead of a spiral that implodes we would do better to have a spiral that expands? Invent a solution. Think of counter spells and affects that would prevent this strategy from being over-powered...and no, I am not meaning from your deck, I mean from your MIND!

Humans will always strategise and optimise their chances. We continue to evolve and every time things become imbalanced/problematic we INVENT solutions to counter. There will never be true balance in PvP while we allow creativity and choice, but while there is continued movement the imbalances are constantly shifting and do not need to be allowed to stagnate. The constant need for adaption beings more variety which in a game allows for more scenarios, more strategies, more consideration, more fun...

The problem with [insert spell, gear, strategy etc] is that it needs a viable solution within battle to counter the effects. Invent spells that would solve it.

We've got too used to being able to ask the developers to change the game instead or coming up with ideas to add to the game. Imagine a war where our enemy has a great strategy and op armour we keep failing against. We can't tell them 'you can't use that', we have to come up with something that undermines their advantage and levels the playing field again to give us a reasonable chance!

Let's stop with the nerfing and banning, and start getting creative with counters. It doesn't have to be about taking what they have, it can be about introducing things to counter the affect of it being used against us!

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on May 18, 2019 wrote:
@angel and zexion :)

The reason I say this is because humans adapt. We can nerf/ban something then a different strategy/spell becomes 'the problem', so we nerf/ban that...rinse and repeat...we have a spiral that implodes on itself until we're all standing in the arena with zero stats and nothing but minor strikes.

There will always be a problem to overcome, be it a strategy or a spell or gear etc. Surely instead of a spiral that implodes we would do better to have a spiral that expands? Invent a solution. Think of counter spells and affects that would prevent this strategy from being over-powered...and no, I am not meaning from your deck, I mean from your MIND!

Humans will always strategise and optimise their chances. We continue to evolve and every time things become imbalanced/problematic we INVENT solutions to counter. There will never be true balance in PvP while we allow creativity and choice, but while there is continued movement the imbalances are constantly shifting and do not need to be allowed to stagnate. The constant need for adaption beings more variety which in a game allows for more scenarios, more strategies, more consideration, more fun...

The problem with [insert spell, gear, strategy etc] is that it needs a viable solution within battle to counter the effects. Invent spells that would solve it.

We've got too used to being able to ask the developers to change the game instead or coming up with ideas to add to the game. Imagine a war where our enemy has a great strategy and op armour we keep failing against. We can't tell them 'you can't use that', we have to come up with something that undermines their advantage and levels the playing field again to give us a reasonable chance!

Let's stop with the nerfing and banning, and start getting creative with counters. It doesn't have to be about taking what they have, it can be about introducing things to counter the affect of it being used against us!
If the spell actually did what it says, that is restore 15% health it would be fine, the problem is that it takes into account all healing boosts and critical, which can revive someone for almost their entire health, 6k+.

So now you have to do 6k damage before they get 5 pips to cast it again, let me know what your strategy suggestions are for that!

Personally I do not think it needs to be banned, it just needs to do a flat revive % as the card states, ignoring all boosts. This is one of those things that I would seriously say is not "working as intended".

Upping the revive to 40% and ignoring all critical and healing boosts would still keep this card useful, while giving others a fighting chance to overcome it.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Jasmine3429 on May 21, 2019 wrote:
If the spell actually did what it says, that is restore 15% health it would be fine, the problem is that it takes into account all healing boosts and critical, which can revive someone for almost their entire health, 6k+.

So now you have to do 6k damage before they get 5 pips to cast it again, let me know what your strategy suggestions are for that!

Personally I do not think it needs to be banned, it just needs to do a flat revive % as the card states, ignoring all boosts. This is one of those things that I would seriously say is not "working as intended".

Upping the revive to 40% and ignoring all critical and healing boosts would still keep this card useful, while giving others a fighting chance to overcome it.
There are a million counters if we stop thinking about what is in our deck and start asking for a new spell to be introduced.

I'd fire out my Guardian Grievance that prevents the guardian spirit from working for 2 rounds.

Or maybe I'd throw them the Soul Stealer which wipes out 1/3 of their guardian spirit each round for 3 rounds and passes me 50% of the steal into a heal with excesses creating a guardian of my own...they'd better be strategic in their usage with that counter available.

Or how about the Spirit Splitter that shatters their guardian spirit and distributes it between all players (friend and foe) with a random uneven distribution - we might still have to hit them twice but they're going to have to hit us twice too...and if we get lucky we might even get the most of their heal!

There is any number of counters if we make them up. There is a problem with spell X, let's suggest some spells to counter it instead of taking it away! Make it have to be used strategically!

How much better will you feel seeing your spell idea ADDED to game compared to how good you'll feel at the small victory of removing something from another wizard's deck?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
How about putting a limit to only one use? Similarly to reshuffle.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on May 21, 2019 wrote:
There are a million counters if we stop thinking about what is in our deck and start asking for a new spell to be introduced.

I'd fire out my Guardian Grievance that prevents the guardian spirit from working for 2 rounds.

Or maybe I'd throw them the Soul Stealer which wipes out 1/3 of their guardian spirit each round for 3 rounds and passes me 50% of the steal into a heal with excesses creating a guardian of my own...they'd better be strategic in their usage with that counter available.

Or how about the Spirit Splitter that shatters their guardian spirit and distributes it between all players (friend and foe) with a random uneven distribution - we might still have to hit them twice but they're going to have to hit us twice too...and if we get lucky we might even get the most of their heal!

There is any number of counters if we make them up. There is a problem with spell X, let's suggest some spells to counter it instead of taking it away! Make it have to be used strategically!

How much better will you feel seeing your spell idea ADDED to game compared to how good you'll feel at the small victory of removing something from another wizard's deck?
Sadly, new spells only seem to bring new problems. We already have this spell, I say we just fix it, it surely is not "working as intended" given the text on the spell card.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Victoria FireHeart on May 21, 2019 wrote:

I definitely like your point of view! Those are cool ideas. I think what it just comes down to is it is pretty unlikely that KI would come up with a spell that only serves the purpose of countering another spell. It would take a lot of thought for them to come up with and actually decide to implement a new spell because of Guardian Spirit. It's much more likely that they would just alter Guardian Spirit, essentially fixing the issue using much less effort.

If we're talking counters to it, then maybe let infections work on Guardian Spirit? I'm fine with anything that fixes this situation, but I still really like the one time use idea the best I think. We can add something similar to a stun shield that prevents the second use of Guardian Spirit.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Jasmine3429 on May 22, 2019 wrote:
Sadly, new spells only seem to bring new problems. We already have this spell, I say we just fix it, it surely is not "working as intended" given the text on the spell card.
Yes and that is the BEAUTY of it! We can have a constantly evolving, endlessly growing and changing environment that allows for shifting battles of wits, strategies and entertainment!

For every problem solved, new strategies are developed and new problems arise to be solved.

I don't understand why people don't see that nerfing/banning/boosting existing spells does the SAME thing in reverse! We nerf/ban something and new problems appear that we need to nerf/ban...until we're all standing in the arena in noob gear and nothing but wand hits!

We want to be able to use the different spells we earned, the gear and stats we worked for, the pet we made etc...there will never be total balance but we can embrace that, find strategies, observe strategies and overcome them by adding innovative, creative counters! This prevents stagnation.

We do already have this spell (GS) - but we can't take radar from the enemy so why aren't we designing stealth fighters that can fly undetected or something to tamper with their equipment or a completely different way to infiltrate their territory while they're busy watching our diversion on their radar? I don't understand why we are giving our creativity such limitations!

Instead of the KI team facing a barrage of criticism for what they poured their creativity into designing, they could be falling over an abundance of exciting ideas and innovative solutions they can enjoy developing and adding...and receive appreciation when they do!

Surely this is a more positive, creative and motivating way of looking at and dealing with imbalances?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
XxZexionxX on May 22, 2019 wrote:
I definitely like your point of view! Those are cool ideas. I think what it just comes down to is it is pretty unlikely that KI would come up with a spell that only serves the purpose of countering another spell. It would take a lot of thought for them to come up with and actually decide to implement a new spell because of Guardian Spirit. It's much more likely that they would just alter Guardian Spirit, essentially fixing the issue using much less effort.

If we're talking counters to it, then maybe let infections work on Guardian Spirit? I'm fine with anything that fixes this situation, but I still really like the one time use idea the best I think. We can add something similar to a stun shield that prevents the second use of Guardian Spirit.
My suggestions were not just possible counters to guardian spirit, they were to illustrate a shift in attitude to dealing with 'pvp problems'.

"what it just comes down to" could be changed to 'what it has previously come down to'...then we're talking. I reject the notion that KI is unwilling or unable to introduce new spells or solutions that do not involve nerfing/banning/boosting spells they have excitedly worked on designing and developing to give us. Why should they constantly be told their ideas were not good enough or not to our liking? It frustrates me.

As a community we've done nothing but complain, and reject, and demand changes.

What is so revolutionary about working together and giving ideas? "It would take a lot of thought for them to come up with and actually decide to implement a new spell because of Guardian Spirit" Well no, not really when the thought should be coming from us and with a community this large and diverse they should be falling over ideas and their biggest problem should be deciding which of the multitude of possible solutions they want to use.

For every issue in PvP I have multiple ideas...none of them involve nerfing/banning or boosting pre-existing content. The trouble is, we as a community, have slipped into the lazy attitude of thinking we can change stuff that exists instead of getting creative (which is a lot more fun) and coming up with brand new shiny solutions. Previously whenever I've made any kind of suggestion that isn't nerf/ban/boost I've been ripped apart and told with force that I am completely wrong, don't have a clue, and nerfing or banning is the only viable solution. I disagree.

Also, something that only counters one spell right now opens up opportunities for future development where it might be useful and if it doesn't...it means it solved the problem it was there to solve. Put in a counter for guardian spirit, the only reason it becomes obsolete is because no-one is using guardian spirit in an imbalanced way. If they start doing it again we add it back to our decks. If they don't, problem solved because sometimes the threat of something is as powerful as using it. Plus, it could be useful in future because we don't know what else is coming because we haven't worked together to counter the next problem strategy yet.

I'd really like to see a shift from the complaints to us becoming an ideas factory for KI to have fun reading and glean inspiration from