Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ranking the (memorable) bosses

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
Arc I
Foulgaze & Lord Nightshade: 1/10 a good first major hurdle in wizard city decent health and a good display of whats to come.

Krokopatra: 1.5/10 a kinda forgettable boss if you don't play the archmage - exalted duels but has a fair amount of health and some good spells.

Meowiarty: 3/10 good pun guys (a cat version of Sherlock Holmes greatest enemy) the dungeon here is long for a first timer and the secret boss can be a minor hurdle if ya choose to fight him.

Jade Oni: 4.5/10 a boss with a big health pool and is a surprise where he is located.

Malistaire: 5/10 for the first fight he has a ginormous amount of health and powerful amount of good spells thankfully he doesn't cheat...yet

Arc II

All 3 bosses in trial of spheres: 7.5/10 the first boss is a pain because you must kill all minions and attack him to remove his 90% shield. the 2nd boss is easier with just cast charm attack repeat. the final boss is hard because it starts casting -50% for not casting the right spell type but if you do cast the right spell you get a few round of free attacks.

Belloq: 8.5/10 Holy mother of all things sacred. this boss is pure evil i havent met a single player who hasnt hated this boss and the word hate is an understatement of how angry we feel about this boss and his cheap cheat. its traumatizing that some folks don';t even finish zafaria because of him.

Jabberwock: 8/10 i know what your gonna say "how is this boss ranked lower?" yes this boss's cheat is hated but before he uses it he has a 200% feint on him spo if you have a strong attack built up he can die pretty quickly.

Belloq in twin giants: 10/10 imagine the evil belloq cheat now with a lot more health and glitched if you flee port back and attack it still counts and he uses his cheat. players who have beaten this boss alone at a matching world level i salute you.

Ghost Dog: 10/10 among one of the most infamous of bosses for his poetry of war cheat which has the highest damage over time effect yet.

and thats it for me. those are the memorable bosses i've faced in each world. feel free to post what bosses you think are hard annoying or down right diabolical.

Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
feel free to rank the bosses you hate that aren't listed here

Survivor
Aug 23, 2015
Zeus: 4/10 a kinda easy boss compared to the boss before his door. his cheat is kinda easy to avoid but still annoying if you don't.

Poseidon: 5/10 more annoying than Zeus because you cant use singular traps on him real annoying if your storm and a pretty big amount of health.

Hades: 8/10 Big health pool along with Zeus and Poseidon joining the match. if any player falls he casts a massive Heal over time spell on his entire team (if i read the wiki right) i've only faced him 3 or 4 times but he's still a difficult fight.

Shane Von Shane Darkmoor Section 3: 10/10 how would i describe Shane? well the words would either be censored or not allowed on this family friendly forum. but to simplify them its CHEAP. this boss has so many cheats that makes getting to Malistaire the undying almost not worth it.

Malistaire the Undying (Darkmoor): 9.5/10 An INSANE 100,000 health and cheats too. he's a hard fight but not as cheap as Shane Von Shane but still very annoying, but worth it for one of the best armor sets in game, without spending crowns

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Polaris:

Ygor: 8/10

This boss is actually quite annoying, at least when I did it. If he defeats you, you have to start the dungeon all over again. Doesn't help that there's two Greater Borealis Golems right before him...

Detolli the Destroyer: 7/10

Actually quite difficult. I still struggle with him even at max level!

The Rat: 9/10

Really nice cheating concept on this one. Only one other in the game has a limit on how many rounds you have. This fellow effectively keeps you on your toes.

Omen Stribog: 11/10

Great goats a-clompin', this guy is hard, hard, HARD, HARD. Very powerful allies and amazing health, though the drops are arguably worth it.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
I'm going to rate the dungeons the bosses appear in as well as the bosses themselves, as I think that the location and other fights in that area play a significant factor in how much I like a particular boss. Since this wouldn't be fair to certain memorable bosses that aren't a part of the final dungeon (like Belloq in Zafaria, who's just in a tent), I'm going to skip those.

Lord Nightshade: 1/10
He's just a boss. That's it. His tower isn't anything special, the only thing that sets him even slightly apart from the other bosses is that he has a little more health, and even then it's just by a little.

Krokopatra and the Tomb of Storms: 6/10
Has a ton of enemies but you fortunately only have to fight a minimum of four battles. The puzzles aren't too special, though I like how the second one is a little tricky. Like Nightshade before her, she doesn't particularly stand out, but unlike Nightshade, she is in a dungeon that definitely feels like a final boss dungeon.

Master Tonkatsu and Hamakala's Temple: 5/10
The dungeon itself is alright. I want to say that the puzzle here having its answer in the previous dungeon is a neat idea, but I never really bother with this puzzle. The fight against Tonkatsu isn't really that different from normal, but then again this is a low-level dungeon so I wouldn't expect it to be. Hamakala involving himself with the battle is a pretty interesting idea though.

Meowiarty and the Big Ben: 1/10
There's a ridiculous amount of mob fights here, and that is after they shortened the dungeon. I get that it's a clock tower and the large number of floors is supposed to represent that, but it's just mob fight after mob fight and it's really boring.

The Jade Oni: 6.5/10
I like how the final "dungeon" is just the boss battle, and that you can even respawn him without leaving. His large health pool really sets him apart from other bosses, at least for now, and he has a great list of drops in case you want to farm him. This includes duels, socket wrenches, and even animus if you want a tanky Monstrology minion.

Malistaire and the Great Spyre: 4/10
Finally being able to battle the villain you've chased through multiple worlds is really cool, and he impressively sports what may be the first 5-digit health bar you have seen in the game. However, the Great Spyre itself is large and complex, and without the quest marker telling you which way to go you can very easily go the wrong way. There's even several fake doors that you think are the way to go, but nope, they don't take you anywhere.

Mithraya and the Trial of the Spheres: 5.5/10
I like the orb puzzle, the turning head puzzle is ok, but the star puzzle is pretty disappointing. I can't properly rate the first boss since I bypass his cheat shield with Pierce. The second phase is awful. The "puzzle" is that you activate three of the pedestals thrice each, and then engage in four mob fights. After that boring endeavor, you fight a boss who undoes his own cheats just because you play the game normally. The last puzzle is equally menial, but also shorter. Mithraya's accuracy reduction cheats can be annoying but I prefer her to the previous bosses in the dungeon since she at least tempts you to add a few more traps to turn her cheats off.

Waterworks: 7.5/10
I think there's a few too many mob fights here. The first puzzle is straightforward but I always mess it up somehow if I try to do it alone. I want to say it isn't because I closed the wrong oyster though. It's kinda weird. Second puzzle is ok. Luska can be a pain but this fight also plays out relatively normally if you can position your wizards correctly. Sylster's battle is more unique due to his alternating anti-blade and anti-trap cheats, but this tends to be more annoying than fun.

Ammit and the House of Scales: 4.5/10

The dungeon itself isn't very interesting. Izft has some minion cheats that are really easy to ignore, and then there's that guy who summons clones of himself. Ammit has some cool scenery and her plan to devour a bajillion souls is kinda cool, but the boss fight itself is basically a normal boss fight with one poor soul getting hit with Judgment every other round. In my experience it almost always hits the same wizard throughout the entire duel.

Gonna have to post in multiple posts because I'm getting errors when trying to post, even if I am under the character limit.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
Uhhh, someone and Mirror Lake: 4.5/10
Who is the boss here? Is it the Spectral Elephant? Is it the Starburst Spiders? Is it Morganthe even though we don't fight her here? For me it's the Spectral Elephant, and in my opinion the latter half of the dungeon comes off as unnecessary because of this. Maybe if one of the spiders was more boss-like than the rest. As for drops, I know this place drops Pixie Sticks, energy gear, and some other stuff, but I've never really felt the need to farm it.

Ghost Avalon and Ganelon Keep: 6/10
I'm combining the two because they both occur near the very end of the Avalon storyline and they both could pass as the final dungeon. Ghost Avalon has an interesting time travel plot and you get to play as Gamma, though Young Morganthe can be a pain to fight. As for Ganelon, it's pretty cool to basically go back to the same place in present time and see how it has changed. The Pendragon's forever dot doesn't demand you to play that much differently than normal bosses do, though the Shift-Detonate combo is really cool and I love it. There isn't much reason to farm either dungeon though, for what I can remember.

Malistaire and Xibalba: 4/10
It's a dungeon in space. That's what it is. Malistaire having immunity is unique, but it doesn't change how you do that battle at all. The only thing this dungeon has going for it is the cool scenery, because like I said, it's just a dungeon. In space.

Ghost Dog and Fort Rachias: 3/10
I'm including the halfway bosses for the worlds that were released in halves because they were designed to function as final bosses, at the very least during the time between the first half's release and the second half's. The rest of the final part of Fort Rachias is completely unmemorable, and Ghost Dog himself was just a boss with a painful dot cheat.

Morganthe and the Shadow Palace: 8/10
I heavily appreciate that this final dungeon is split into multiple dungeons. Not having to fight Moros or her array of henchmen every time you want to farm Morganthe saves a lot of time and prevents a lot of frustration. This is especially nice considering she drops a really good Amulet and (arguably) Athame. The battle against Morganthe is similar to normal boss fights though.

Malistaire and the Graveyard: 9.5/10
Yevgeny is a mostly normal boss, but this is fine because he's the first boss here and not the main focus of this dungeon. I personally love that Shane comes back to face us again in a power suit, and the battle against him is also just mostly normal. Spamming him is a lot of fun in my opinion. Malistaire has an interesting challenge in defeating his minions while also timing your blades and hits to not get messed up by Malistaire's cheats. His One-Winged Angel moment is also pretty cool and it's nice that Doom and Gloom finally has a use in PvE because of how it works.

The Rat and Horizon Hold: 9/10
I'm not a fan of his turn limit cheat, but him having 35k health makes it less of a problem than before when he had even more health. His minion cheat opens up a rather unique spam role which is pretty fun to undertake. And on top of it all, he also has some good drops. Though they might've been rendered obsolete by Omen or whatever. I can't remember.

Grandfather Spider and the Sands of Time: 7/10
Shadowbones is an easy yet wonderful boss for Monstrology. Bort is, well, Bort. I don't like how quickly the Shadowwock forces players to fight it, since you have to deal ~50k damage while getting hit with powerful Shadow Meteors. Grandfather Spider himself is basically a tamer Malistaire. You have to time your Blades and hits so that he doesn't get rid of them (and this time while also dealing with a minion that intercepts damage). Lootwise, since the loot is scattered between all the bosses here, Spider doesn't seem all that worth farming unless he just so happens to drop what you want, which is a bit of a negative to me.

Medulla and the Headquarters: 9.5/10
Perhaps my most favorite battle in the entire game. His confusion cheat is mostly unique and has wizards casting spells that they otherwise wouldn't put into their decks. I also love how you may prioritize taking out one specific minion before the others depending on what your team is like (even if the healer is almost always the first choice, and even if I think that he isn't that big of a problem). The one thing preventing this from being a 10/10 is that almost all of Empyrea part 1 drops the best gear from this half, and Medulla's only unique drops are animus.

The Storm Titan and the Husk: 7/10

I really appreciate how in addition to the shadow pip gauge showing when the boss will use its swipe cheat, it gives you a visual cue as well and several turns to prepare afterwards. I also love how dots are good here, and in fact, the preferred method of defeating the boss. As for downsides, I don't like how annoying the minions are. They slow the fight down to unbearable levels if they aren't dealt with immediately. Then there's also how so many players think that this fight is impossible without a Death spamming Juju. Of course it's possible without that, but I really don't like it when teams disband the moment they realize there is no Death wizard present. It also has the same loot issues as the Sands of Time did, but on the bright side at least it's a little bit more memorable and there's no Shadowwock.

Might do Key bosses later. This took me way too long, thanks errors.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Mirage:

Ali Baboon: 5.5/10

Actually not that hard, at least when I did him.

Achey, Sneezy, Chilly, and Cough: 7/10

The Germ Ghosts are actually quite difficult. Don't do them alone, and absolutely make sure to mark your location!

Mother Ghulture: 4/10

Not altogether difficult, but a great introduction to the world of Mirage.

The Scorpion: 8.8/10

Quite a hard battle. Never do it alone!

Baron Hairkonnen: 2/10

I just had to mention him. He's very... unique... but he only has 8 Health. He can't be harmed until his minions are gone though. Unique!

Grandfather Spider: 10/10

Very well-structured battle. I mean, we're fighting a Shadow god here, why wouldn't he be hard?