Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Passive Abilities

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 27, 2013
When ever I level a new character, nothing new happens for me besides learning spells. Even then, there are huge gaps between leveling that create droughts for some players. Of course we have astral schools, shadow morph spells (for pve, honestly doesn't help), and even some side content. But these spells serve no true justice especially for progression (just gear and xp that lasts so many levels) and end game content. So I would love for Wizard to implement a passive ability sector for classes which most MMOs have; kind of like Pirate 101 but the best example, and being the game I play the most, would be World of Warcraft.

The point of passive abilities is to make progression more enticing and easier while scaling with level. We have to constantly "purchase" these enhancements using training points which is quite bland. A good example in game of these passive abilities would be the new Scion spells. They give specific situations that would enhance your damage. No one will/would use these because you literally have to be in semi-rare situations and have the spells themselves equipped and spend 12 pips. So instead of making these triggers spells, make them baseline passive abilities ( I'm not saying specifically the scion effects, its just an example).

If you include passives in this game and make them interact with the spells, it just makes the "game play" more enhanced and now I feel even more compelled to keep leveling to improve my spells. And a mistake I see sometimes is making them passive non-interactive. All it does is add damage or accuracy. You should be able to make these fit into the class, make it feel like if I played this class, this is probably what they would do.

Examples...

When a target is below 50% health when healed, your ability does 10% increased healing
If you attack a balance target with a balance spell, you leave a "Cacophony Prism" which allows your next balance attack to convert to a random school
If you receive fatal damage while a tower shield is active, you revive with 12% health and legion shield is caste *can only happen once per fight*
If you are below 40% health, you gain "Leech". "Leech" allows your single target spells to return 10% of damage dealt as health
If you add multiple dots on an enemy, you enable "Combustion". "Combustion" combines dots into one, dealing 5% increased damage, and adds one round to the dot * max being 3 dots combined*
After you stun a target, you deal 15% increased damage *does not stack*

If you fizzle, your next attack deals 12% increased damage *does not stack*

Administrator
earthelement77 on May 2, 2019 wrote:
When ever I level a new character, nothing new happens for me besides learning spells. Even then, there are huge gaps between leveling that create droughts for some players. Of course we have astral schools, shadow morph spells (for pve, honestly doesn't help), and even some side content. But these spells serve no true justice especially for progression (just gear and xp that lasts so many levels) and end game content. So I would love for Wizard to implement a passive ability sector for classes which most MMOs have; kind of like Pirate 101 but the best example, and being the game I play the most, would be World of Warcraft.

The point of passive abilities is to make progression more enticing and easier while scaling with level. We have to constantly "purchase" these enhancements using training points which is quite bland. A good example in game of these passive abilities would be the new Scion spells. They give specific situations that would enhance your damage. No one will/would use these because you literally have to be in semi-rare situations and have the spells themselves equipped and spend 12 pips. So instead of making these triggers spells, make them baseline passive abilities ( I'm not saying specifically the scion effects, its just an example).

If you include passives in this game and make them interact with the spells, it just makes the "game play" more enhanced and now I feel even more compelled to keep leveling to improve my spells. And a mistake I see sometimes is making them passive non-interactive. All it does is add damage or accuracy. You should be able to make these fit into the class, make it feel like if I played this class, this is probably what they would do.

Examples...

When a target is below 50% health when healed, your ability does 10% increased healing
If you attack a balance target with a balance spell, you leave a "Cacophony Prism" which allows your next balance attack to convert to a random school
If you receive fatal damage while a tower shield is active, you revive with 12% health and legion shield is caste *can only happen once per fight*
If you are below 40% health, you gain "Leech". "Leech" allows your single target spells to return 10% of damage dealt as health
If you add multiple dots on an enemy, you enable "Combustion". "Combustion" combines dots into one, dealing 5% increased damage, and adds one round to the dot * max being 3 dots combined*
After you stun a target, you deal 15% increased damage *does not stack*

If you fizzle, your next attack deals 12% increased damage *does not stack*
Thanks, these are some interesting passive ability suggestions!