Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Am I doing something wrong?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 30, 2014
So I have been encountered with a rude player in game. I don't think he's trying to be rude though is the thing, just maybe acting like he knows it all. He keeps criticizing how I'm choosing to play, and what my play style is. I'll briefly list what I was criticized on.

- Using two decks According to him I should have one deck and adjust it according to battles, which I do. I have one for mobs which I DO modify and a boss one I MODIFY.

- He went offline I just went on questing because I don't like waiting unless I'm sure someone is returning. Apparently I'm supposed to wait if I'm not sure

- Not porting to people to travel between areas quicker. Okay I don't get this, he told me I was questing too fast but I read dialogue and don't port around so how am I going to fast? I only mark occasionally if it's going to be super far. He wanted me to port to him every time I needed to go talk to someone, but I had already done it.

- No dragon apparently. I said I'd use it the following turn and kill since I didn't draw a meteor but he insisted that he kill with balance Morganthe instead because meteor is quicker and he doesn't like dragon

- I bring too many defense spells. I am anything but defensive, all I carry is a fortify and a pixie for defense. I just happened to have a tower shield in from Darkmoor farming and used it (I forgot to fix my deck) and all the sudden I can't hit anymore, because I have no blades yet.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I just kind of took it because I'm not really sure what's better to do at this point. Should I be questing how I am in Polaris? I've been questing like this with others since Avalon. Found this guy in a team up too, and he was just a little rude I feel. Maybe I'm just a little sensitive, but I just felt like he was criticizing me the entire time. Keep in mind I don't think this guy was trying to be rude at all, but he was just acting like he knew it all because he's done the game lots of times, I quote. I've never finished the game so I'm just trying to enjoy Polaris as I've never done it before.

My entire point of this post is: am I questing the wrong way?
I don't think I am. How I quest is based off what goes quickest but also allows me to experience the game and read dialogue etc which seems to be what most people do. Dang, I even take tips from all you lovely people here on the boards daily!

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
The cool thing about MMOs is that you can customize your gameplay. You are absolutely doing nothing wrong. Play in whatever way you feel comfortable with and enjoy. Some people may view certain approaches as more efficient than others, but in my opinion, there is no "wrong" way to play at all.

Keep saving the spiral the way you want to - it sounds like this player was a bit impatient and controlling. Definitely don't let it get to you.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
It sounds like you're playing your wizard in a very 'normal' way. 2 decks, listening to the story, questing at your own pace etc. Don't worry about the criticisms, I think it says more about him than you. I like that you've emphasised he didn't mean it unkindly, sometimes we can read things in a harsher tone than they intended and if we could see the person saying it we wouldn't take it the same way.

After playing for a while it is easy for us to feel like we 'know how to do it'. It's easy to forget that we all play differently and enjoy different aspects of the game. I've met a few young wizards who treat me as their own personal minion and try to command me to do things their way. Even actual minions do whatever they want

I think this kind of behaviour/attitude comes from people who are so absorbed in playing the game they forget there is a person behind the other wizards. They forget that your game time revolves around you in the same way their game time revolves around them. It's supposed to be that way; we play for fun and we make our own choices that allow us the most enjoyment

We're all here primarily for our own wizard/s, we're constantly told we're the hero of the story and the only one who can save the Spiral. The beauty of it being an MMO is that we can enjoy being the hero while working with others who are also enjoying being the hero.

I think the only thing you might like to change is whether to keep someone on your friend list who makes you feel bad. If someone inhibits our enjoyment of the game, whether intentionally or not, we can choose to remove them from our list. There is nothing unkind about choosing to only spend our time with people who make us feel good

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Echoing Vanessa, you are doing nothing wrong.

The nice thing about W101 is that if your style of game play works for you, then it is correct.

My advice, drop this guy. Life's to short for that kind of negativity, especially if you are trying to enjoy yourself.

I lucked out. My mentor and questing partner offers advice, help and helpful critiques. Never once has she called me stupid or put me down.

Steven Ghoststalker

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
You are doing nothing wrong. In fact, it sounds as if you are playing and questing in a really good way. I have multiple decks and equipment sets for different things: questing, damage, critical, tank, and on my life, healing.
Unless you ask someone for advice and/or help, pay absolutely no attention to other players who think it's their way or the highway.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Thisgirlisonfire00... , Sounds like you came across a high ego person in my opinion. There's no wrong playstyle to defeat evil forces to save the spiral. The playstye you choose is what makes the game fun for you. What other players think what's better is better for them. It's always good to take in different strategies from others in the means to improve your wizard in defeating tough battles but not them criticizing your gameplay. You play the way you want. if others don't like your style, that's their problem.

P.S. You have an awesome message board name: This< girl< is< on< fire. I love it! (thumbs up)

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Mar 6, 2019 wrote:
So I have been encountered with a rude player in game. I don't think he's trying to be rude though is the thing, just maybe acting like he knows it all. He keeps criticizing how I'm choosing to play, and what my play style is. I'll briefly list what I was criticized on.

- Using two decks According to him I should have one deck and adjust it according to battles, which I do. I have one for mobs which I DO modify and a boss one I MODIFY.

- He went offline I just went on questing because I don't like waiting unless I'm sure someone is returning. Apparently I'm supposed to wait if I'm not sure

- Not porting to people to travel between areas quicker. Okay I don't get this, he told me I was questing too fast but I read dialogue and don't port around so how am I going to fast? I only mark occasionally if it's going to be super far. He wanted me to port to him every time I needed to go talk to someone, but I had already done it.

- No dragon apparently. I said I'd use it the following turn and kill since I didn't draw a meteor but he insisted that he kill with balance Morganthe instead because meteor is quicker and he doesn't like dragon

- I bring too many defense spells. I am anything but defensive, all I carry is a fortify and a pixie for defense. I just happened to have a tower shield in from Darkmoor farming and used it (I forgot to fix my deck) and all the sudden I can't hit anymore, because I have no blades yet.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I just kind of took it because I'm not really sure what's better to do at this point. Should I be questing how I am in Polaris? I've been questing like this with others since Avalon. Found this guy in a team up too, and he was just a little rude I feel. Maybe I'm just a little sensitive, but I just felt like he was criticizing me the entire time. Keep in mind I don't think this guy was trying to be rude at all, but he was just acting like he knew it all because he's done the game lots of times, I quote. I've never finished the game so I'm just trying to enjoy Polaris as I've never done it before.

My entire point of this post is: am I questing the wrong way?
I don't think I am. How I quest is based off what goes quickest but also allows me to experience the game and read dialogue etc which seems to be what most people do. Dang, I even take tips from all you lovely people here on the boards daily!
You're NOT questing the wrong way! Everyone has their own playing style, and you have yours! Do what you're comfortable with

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Wow!
Sounds like you ran into an extremely rude bossy player. It's impossible to say if that's their daily personality or if they were trolling.

I've had people call for a team up for a long dungeon and then just disappear without warning. I'd keep questing and they'd resurface like nothing happened. Erm...? I guess they wanted me to do all the work??

People who race ahead as fast as they can, when I was too new to navigate the streets that fast without a monster 'pulling' me into a battle I didn't want or need.

After I got more experience, I'd ask people to friend up and they could delete me later but this way they could port to each spot or if they got there first, I could...They either wouldn't do that or wouldn't port at all, or they'd go through the dungeon like I wasn't there. Then why ask for a team up.

So yeah there are ways to be rude or inconsiderate and it's too bad there are those who don't understand how they might be coming across.

Sorry that happened to you. No player has any right to tell you what to do in the game -- it's your game. Play the way you want as long as you are not breaking KI's rules.