Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

question for tank wizards

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
when your working in a team with other players why do tanks never use any taunt spells to take the heat of the others? since tanks are supposed to take all the hits and taunt helps with that why is it never in there decks?

Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
Honestly its because taunt does barely anything. Its about as powerful as a heal when no one else has hit. This means it cannot take aggro from the hitter who just did a massive hit unless you literally spam it. They would have literally no other action in any battle since as ice they have x pip for it always draining them, or other class tanks must rely on straight pip or ice amulet again fully draining them of pips..

However tank wizards are usually life or ice. Instead they have heals or a bunch of shields at their disposal. This means they can help shield/heal strikers once they make the enemy focus them and sometimes even both,

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Everelda on Jan 1, 2019 wrote:
Honestly its because taunt does barely anything. Its about as powerful as a heal when no one else has hit. This means it cannot take aggro from the hitter who just did a massive hit unless you literally spam it. They would have literally no other action in any battle since as ice they have x pip for it always draining them, or other class tanks must rely on straight pip or ice amulet again fully draining them of pips..

However tank wizards are usually life or ice. Instead they have heals or a bunch of shields at their disposal. This means they can help shield/heal strikers once they make the enemy focus them and sometimes even both,
And Jade Death and Jade Balance

Survivor
Sep 17, 2011
Taunts take training points for most people and don't really make a difference. As a tank, I usually go into battle first and have maximum resist gear against the boss.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
the awesome pyroma... on Dec 31, 2018 wrote:
when your working in a team with other players why do tanks never use any taunt spells to take the heat of the others? since tanks are supposed to take all the hits and taunt helps with that why is it never in there decks?
Because for most pick-up groups/team finder, a hit all spell will accomplish the same goal (getting enemies to focus on you) and using taunt effectively requires more coordination. When I tank for my static group, I use taunt all the time (including Snow Angel), since it is usually a lower pip cost (except for Snow Angel) and no one else is causing aggro (but rather they are stacking for a hit).

I use the taunts for initial aggro and pull aggro from the healer. My remaining pips are for the absorbs to decrease the amount of healing required.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Attacking with an AoE draws aggro better than Taunt, and also damages enemies, so it's usually better, unless you are stacking Feints or such. Also, as most higher level enemies use AoEs, drawing aggro is of limited value, since everyone on your team gets hit regardless. You're usually better off buffing or healing for support.

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
Because using taunt takes pips that would be better spent doing other things. Besides, the second one of our team mates hits or heals the aggro will switch back to them. As a high level ice wizard, I can say I normally spend team battles using feint, blades, shields, and healing if we don't have a life wizards present. Normally i'll go into a battle before my team so that the aggro defaults onto me.