Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is crafting worth it at a low level?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 07, 2018
I'm a relatively new player and I've been wondering if crafting is worth it. Most of the gear I've been getting is better then recipes I can find or buy, especially around level ~30 where you get the Mount Olympus gear. I've also noticed that the gear in the bazaar is better which leads me to this:

- Is it worth it? I haven't invested at all in it and have been wondering if this'll make me lose out on some good gear later on in the game. Or, is it arbitrary for low levels and I'll be fine? Is it worth investing in at all?

- Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Defender
Jul 24, 2011
YES. Crafting is definitely worth it in the long run, even if it doesn't seem like it at first.

Survivor
Aug 07, 2018
I see. Can you give any examples?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
FlamingbroP on Aug 8, 2018 wrote:
I'm a relatively new player and I've been wondering if crafting is worth it. Most of the gear I've been getting is better then recipes I can find or buy, especially around level ~30 where you get the Mount Olympus gear. I've also noticed that the gear in the bazaar is better which leads me to this:

- Is it worth it? I haven't invested at all in it and have been wondering if this'll make me lose out on some good gear later on in the game. Or, is it arbitrary for low levels and I'll be fine? Is it worth investing in at all?

- Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
I definitely recommend doing the crafting quests

You're likely to want some crafted gear later on and having that option is really good. I've helped so many higher level players go back to do their crafting quests because they desperately want something later but don't have the crafting rank. They run out of timers and have it wait or pay to reset them, all holding up getting a piece of gear they really want. Doing crafting as you go is the easiest way.

Another tip...I know the gold you can get for reagents is tempting, but resist! Keep your reagents, stock-pile them even! If you hit max gold and don't have anything you really want to buy - invest in some reagents! When you come to craft something it is so much easier if you have resources in the form of reagents so you don't have to gather so many things all at once.

The other thing to remember is that crafting spells becomes possible at higher levels...but only if you have the relevant crafting rank! This is a HUGE reason to level up in crafting and it enables your wizard to have better strategies and cool spells available every single battle!

You might even find that you enjoy crafting things too. There are some lovely housing decorations and you can even craft your own houses! Then there are teleport tapestries to transport you to different worlds...crafting them is a fun project and useful too. Either way, whether you find yourself enjoying crafting or not, the ability to craft spells and gear is well worth the effort of a few crafting quests as you go along...and going back to them is likely to be quite frustrating.

Good luck!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
FlamingbroP on Aug 10, 2018 wrote:
I see. Can you give any examples?
Crafting will allow you to make the following items:

Housing decorations and actual houses

Teleportation tapestries that can take you instantly to main world areas, the Dye Shop, the Bazaar, etc.

Mounts

Some dropped spells (like Deer Knight) that are unique and that can't be trained

Gear with stats similar to what drops in dungeons (level 55 and beyond)

Gear that combines damages from two different schools (level 55 and beyond)

Special wands with may-cast abilities

Pet snacks, elixirs to reset the hatching timer, or to immediately hatch an egg

Storage for seeds, gear, the Monstrodome, Pet Hatch Kiosk, housing mini-games, etc.

Yes ... some of these items can be bought for crowns. But in crafting them instead, you essentially get these items "free."

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Freshta on Aug 12, 2018 wrote:
Crafting will allow you to make the following items:

Housing decorations and actual houses

Teleportation tapestries that can take you instantly to main world areas, the Dye Shop, the Bazaar, etc.

Mounts

Some dropped spells (like Deer Knight) that are unique and that can't be trained

Gear with stats similar to what drops in dungeons (level 55 and beyond)

Gear that combines damages from two different schools (level 55 and beyond)

Special wands with may-cast abilities

Pet snacks, elixirs to reset the hatching timer, or to immediately hatch an egg

Storage for seeds, gear, the Monstrodome, Pet Hatch Kiosk, housing mini-games, etc.

Yes ... some of these items can be bought for crowns. But in crafting them instead, you essentially get these items "free."

Alia Misthaven
In addition to this fine list, Freshta forgot Jewels

Jewels can add to just about any stat and are normally better than anything bought or dropped.

Steven Ghoststalker
Ravenwood Graduate