Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why do people get mad I join their fights?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
This is starting to become a very lively topic! Because of this, I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone of The Rules. Debate is great, but let's keep on topic and avoid derogatory statements.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Yes, this is a lively topic that has touched on a lot of raw nerves (or least peeled back the bandage too quick)

I'm seeing a LOT of agreement here.

1. Rushing into another battle is "rude" and should be avoided.

2. If pulled in, apologize and help get the battle done quickly

3. Helping is more often than not accepted, but ask first.

4. Trolls will be trolls

@anecorbie - My apologies if I made it sound like you do something you don't.
@Victoria - Not that I personally verbally abuse Trolls, but I do understand those who cannot back down from the challenge. When someone lights into me, they get added to the ignore list pretty quick.
@Dworgyn - Thank you for the reminder.

Steven Ghoststalker

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Just to add a little perspective, early in the game, the tutorial tips actually encouraged new players to run into fights and help. I think they were trying to encourage people not to be shy, and to get used to being in an MMO game. As time went on, the players discovered the frustrations related to an untimely or undesired entry, and decided collectively that it was rude to do so. KI must have agreed, because I remember something about that particular tip being dropped or changed. It is even possible that there may be some players who heard that tip the first time and skipped the tutorial tips on their more recently created wizards, or newer accounts.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
SparkleTude on Mar 31, 2018 wrote:
No one has said they were "getting so worked up about it," just because we vented here does not mean we lash out at people during the game. Victoria assumed so and now that's spreading around the topic.

Mob battles are simple? Not always! Try having someone add a mob in some of the higher level worlds!

Also sometimes a boss IS in the street. They can pull them in as well.

It isn't a "big deal" to you or Victoria but I think you both might have some trouble (going by what you've both said i.e. basically "what's the big deal") understanding that doesn't mean it's fine with everybody else.

If a person needs help they can ask for it. There are many ways to do that.
Not wanting someone to crash a battle does not mean the person isn't into helping others. I would wager most of us have helped others many ways and many times.
What I have gotten from previous posts is that people are getting worked up about it. The only thing that has bothered me by people complaining about having another person join the battle is when the person is always annoyed about it. This means they are annoyed when a person joins their battle at the start. As for the part where a person can just ask for help, not always. Sometimes a person who needs help will join a battle, that's kind of the point of this game.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Not to worry Dworgyn, just some of the smartest wizards on the boards sharing their thoughts on a matter that really does affect us all.

I get where the others are coming from with the viewpoint of Joining Battles Isn't a Big Deal - Usually, or some times, it may not, but view the reasons Sparkle listed out. This could alter the very dynamic of the situation, making it a big deal to some.

That said, I feel it's important to float a little consideration for others in mind, after all, you've done something that has now affected them.

I've seen persons really flip on persons accidentally joining others battles, even after they aplogised, while I've also seen cases where persons didn't mind and even accepted the other's apology.

To each his own

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I'm sorry if what I was meaning has not come over as intended! Perhaps I am misunderstanding how the threads here work?

Had the first post been asking about our experiences of people jumping into fights then I'd have understood the responses about trolls and how to deal with them etc.

However, the first post was made by someone who has been innocently joining street battle in default (busy) realms and facing animosity for it. The post was asking for help understanding why. It's literally Monamuu's only post here. He/she may have come here purely to reach out to us for help understanding the situation because it was upsetting.

I don't think anyone on this thread is unkind, nor is anyone here a troll. I also don't want Monamuu to feel like he has done anything wrong all the times he's innocently joined a street battle in a busy realm. If we want to be alone we can go to a quiet realm, if we're in a busy realm we don't own the street! Asking first is better than running in and hoping, but imo what Monamuu has been doing didn't deserve the unkindness he was greeted with. I'm sorry he experienced that and hopefully by asking first his experiences will be happier

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
frostednutella on Mar 31, 2018 wrote:
What I have gotten from previous posts is that people are getting worked up about it. The only thing that has bothered me by people complaining about having another person join the battle is when the person is always annoyed about it. This means they are annoyed when a person joins their battle at the start. As for the part where a person can just ask for help, not always. Sometimes a person who needs help will join a battle, that's kind of the point of this game.
The OP asked us to tell them reasons why players do not want other players to crash their battles.

In giving every possible reason some have assumed we were talking about ourselves subscribing to each and every one of those reasons.
The further leap was then made, that because we dislike something and are honest about disliking it, that we must therefore be rude or mouthy to other players in the game.
That deeply offended some of us. That was an unfair assumption to make.

Your last statement...not everyone is in any game for the same reasons as someone outlined in a post with the different types of players. That is from a study someone did. That's a fact taught to game developers. Many players prefer to solo.

Many of us have outlined exhaustive reasons but I feel the full posts must not have been read or there couldn't still be the impression we all play the same way or like the same things.

I haven't seen anywhere that the point of Wiz 101 is for people to quest together but even if so, it doesn't mean it has to be foisted upon anyone without asking first.

Just as sometimes I haven't wanted help, there are also times I've asked if someone needs help and I have been told no. There is nothing wrong with a no.

I feel probably those who are having trouble with this and assume it means we are nasty and unfriendly people could be in the Socializers group. We're not all socializers by choice; however being shy or an introvert or preferring to solo or having social anxiety doesn't mean that's a 'bad' person or a rude person.

That is the mixup that hit a nerve with some of us.

Dworgyn I am glad most of my replies were omitted.

Victoria, no one was judging the OP or talking about the OP. No one presumed the OP did something wrong or bad. No one said anything bad about the OP. We were simply answering the OP's question, sight unseen i.e. we were not there, so some of us gave every possible reason there could be.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
anecorbie on Mar 31, 2018 wrote:
I'm not rude to the people entering my battle. I wait to see if they say something. "Hi" will get me to start talking; "Sorry" will immediately earn my forgiveness. If they say nothing, I say nothing and when the battle's over, if they're still hanging around, I move to a different realm.
I've been trolled and used too many times to welcome joiners with open arms. A Do-Gooder almost always asks before joining.
If the mob is difficult to find ( Fire Cat Alley Daily Assignments ) then I invite players to join my battle and hold off attacking so they can gain the credit.
Well said.
The irony is those of us who are taking time to try to help the OP understand other people's points of view are often also helpful to others in the game as well. (Taking time to answer the OP's question shows concern things go smoother for them in future, but that was missed.)

It's simply that sometimes, for various reasons explained above, we find it best to solo.

I don't like to feel judged for playing differently than someone else does, or having different social viewpoints or social priorities; and some of the subsequent posts made me feel that way. Perhaps those who felt that way felt more empathy with the one running into the battles, but, I think it still shouldn't have been assumed that just because we dislike something doesn't mean we cannot also see it could've been accidental.

It's hard not to feel insulted after all there is no reason for anyone to assume we don't know that it could be accidental or the person might 'need help' but it still, to me, doesn't mean players couldn't have simply asked first. But we all already explained all of this, as well as why that is important, in prior posts. I do not think those who replied and assumed we were all attacking the OP could've read all our posts in entirety. If so the posts were misunderstood. It seemed everyone was on one page and suddenly -- blammo.

I think the posts that came after ours were more of an emotional response to the OP or for some reason assumed we were judging or attacking the OP, which in turn left us feeling judged and attacked. What a mess.
There is also some difference as you pointed out in a quest everyone has to do at once -- the special celebration quests, the daily quests -- in those, people often are more open to teaming up in street battles, because everyone wants to get it over with and the monsters might be scarce on the ground, with everyone looking for the same ones at the same time.
I feel like the Socializer game players might struggle to understand soloists.