Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Will Wizard101 ever shut down for good?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 06, 2011
I'm getting paranoid from videos suggesting that Wizard will indeed shut down, it's dying, etc. I'm distressed because I have spent a good chunk of money on this game, and I need to know if Wizard101 will ever shut down. Could any of the staff possibly respond?

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
We're not going anywhere, Jacob! We have solid plans to keep Wizard101 in operation for years to come. Clickbait videos that advertise our demise are overrated.

That said, you did use the word "ever" in your title. MMOs will come and go, but there are a few out there that are worthy of being in an MMO Hall of Fame. I (and many others) feel Wizard101 is one of those Hall of Fame MMOs. Will it "ever" be shut down, possibly some day, but let's hope that day won't come for a long time. (Case in point, Ultima Online is 20 years old and still in operation. Everquest is 18. World of Warcraft is 13. Wizard101 is just about to turn 9.)

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Jacob LotusCaller on Aug 22, 2017 wrote:
I'm getting paranoid from videos suggesting that Wizard will indeed shut down, it's dying, etc. I'm distressed because I have spent a good chunk of money on this game, and I need to know if Wizard101 will ever shut down. Could any of the staff possibly respond?
I heard talk about what's going on with wizard101 from videos too. I'd like to share what my Mother and Grandmother told me when I was younger. " Don't always believe what you hear and half what you read from those who don't know the whole story except those in it". Wizards101 is designed for different people of all ages and very save for children. Therefor this game will continues for years to come and become a classic. It may even last longer than the games Dworgyn mentioned and possibly Advanced Dungeons & Dragons that started I think in 1976.

Defender
Dec 26, 2016
Jacob LotusCaller on Aug 22, 2017 wrote:
The thing is with those types of videos, they go on for so long and it's just them ranting and rambling for 20 minutes. And they don't even admit until the 18 minute mark that the game still has a few years left in it.

In other words, it's not closing 2 months from now. More like 6 or 7 years from now.

Amber Dreamflower 120
Amber Frostflower 40
Mindy Rainflower 3

Explorer
Jun 06, 2011
Dworgyn on Aug 22, 2017 wrote:
We're not going anywhere, Jacob! We have solid plans to keep Wizard101 in operation for years to come. Clickbait videos that advertise our demise are overrated.

That said, you did use the word "ever" in your title. MMOs will come and go, but there are a few out there that are worthy of being in an MMO Hall of Fame. I (and many others) feel Wizard101 is one of those Hall of Fame MMOs. Will it "ever" be shut down, possibly some day, but let's hope that day won't come for a long time. (Case in point, Ultima Online is 20 years old and still in operation. Everquest is 18. World of Warcraft is 13. Wizard101 is just about to turn 9.)
Wizard101 is a big boy now.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2009
Dworgyn on Aug 22, 2017 wrote:

RuneScape is 15 Years as well ;)

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Will Wizards101 ever shut down? Nothing lasts forever.

That said, Wizards will be here as long as people keep playing. Heck, my kids and I started back in '09. I took a break because of the death of their Mom. They kept playing and all three have their own accounts (it makes for a nice easy questing party).

I believe Dworgyn when he says there are plans for new material for years. I mean look at all the new stuff that's been added just within the last year... Monsterology, Mirage, new chat options...

The one thing to remember about ANY media outlet is that "Sensationalism Sells", People are for more likely to watch a story about "Doom & Gloom" than they are about "Happiness and Sunshine"

Steven Ghoststalker

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
If this game was going anywhere any time soon we as the players would have known many years ago. Besides I still see many players through out the week and even more on the weekends the only reason things seem quite, I believe, is because there's now roughly fifteen worlds in the Spiral so the player population is a bit more spread out.