Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

About PvP-ed Out

AuthorMessage
Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Took my new little life wizard (level 5, so adorable) into the arena for the first time yesterday. Was expecting another level 5, probably higher rank because that's super fun and not humiliating in the slightest (insert sarcasm font), but I got a level 21. You can imagine how well that went, including when the level 21 won and proceeded to bully me, stay classy.

Alright, I thought, we'll try the myth. Level 41 corporal immediately matched against a level 43 warlord.

Look, I don't know anything about coding or algorithms, but there is something clearly wrong here. And from the myriad of other "Dear lord please fix PvP" posts, I am not alone in coming to this conclusion. Which is why I stick to tournaments. I am not obsessed with rank, because when I see a level 5 warlord, it sort of takes away the cache. But every once in awhile, I pop into the arena, and am immediately reminded why I don't pop into the arena more often.

I do have to say, though, those boost matches at 3AM are kind of fun to watch. Oh look, four level tens versus four level ones, and hey, all the level ones just discarded their spells and the level tens won, how...interesting. But I'm sure that doesn't break any rules, or KI would clamp down on it right?

Thus endeth my snarky and slightly passive aggressive post.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
Snee432 on Mar 25, 2017 wrote:
Took my new little life wizard (level 5, so adorable) into the arena for the first time yesterday. Was expecting another level 5, probably higher rank because that's super fun and not humiliating in the slightest (insert sarcasm font), but I got a level 21. You can imagine how well that went, including when the level 21 won and proceeded to bully me, stay classy.

Alright, I thought, we'll try the myth. Level 41 corporal immediately matched against a level 43 warlord.

Look, I don't know anything about coding or algorithms, but there is something clearly wrong here. And from the myriad of other "Dear lord please fix PvP" posts, I am not alone in coming to this conclusion. Which is why I stick to tournaments. I am not obsessed with rank, because when I see a level 5 warlord, it sort of takes away the cache. But every once in awhile, I pop into the arena, and am immediately reminded why I don't pop into the arena more often.

I do have to say, though, those boost matches at 3AM are kind of fun to watch. Oh look, four level tens versus four level ones, and hey, all the level ones just discarded their spells and the level tens won, how...interesting. But I'm sure that doesn't break any rules, or KI would clamp down on it right?

Thus endeth my snarky and slightly passive aggressive post.
It's because there aren't enough players at your level and rank. The level 21 probably waited a while before getting a match. The matchmaking system works the best when there are a lot of players. Otherwise, there are just wonky match-ups all the way.

What KI needs to do is address concerns in PvP so that people feel better about trying it out.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
So a lack of people causes the system to be bad and the bad system is driving people away, causing a lack of people.

Something needs to change.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
Wolf W on Apr 26, 2017 wrote:
So a lack of people causes the system to be bad and the bad system is driving people away, causing a lack of people.

They need to address the griefers who are exploiting the system and make PvP "fair" or at least playable again. Then maybe players will feel safe to return. Otherwise, it will just be a downward spiral of former players leaving, and new players having a bad experience in PvP and never doing it again.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Wolf W on Apr 26, 2017 wrote:

Standing ovation right here.

Community Leader
The reason why people are able to boost so easily at almost any time is that the 3v3 & 4v4 queues are being neglected by the players. In order for boosting to be "prevented" in a sense, there would need to be people actually participating in the queues competitively. The 3v3 & 4v4 system relies on people to actively participate in it but since everyone prefers solo/duo, it allows for boosting to happen.

In my opinion, KI should incentivise the 3v3 & 4v4 queue so that more people play in the queue, which in turn will "prevent" boosting. Or simply retire the 3v3 & 4v4 queues since there's 0% participation from the Ranked community. The only time people usually are in 3v3/4v4 queues are during Tournaments & Practice. Tournaments already have better rewards which allow for people to actively participate in team based tournaments while people do 3v3/4v4 practice matches for fun. I'd hope for the PvP community to actively participate in team based matches like before but it'd need some sort of incentive for people to do that rather than solo/duo. I'd rather not see them retire those queues but it'd be the worst case scenario solution.

DuelCircle Media Lead Organizer! Check us out here for all things PvP! (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Survivor
Sep 13, 2012
Unfortunately it appears that the game is being driving by a select few that would like everyone's stats to be the same. As for me what i don't understand is why Wizards have the availability of different gear. Then stats would all be the same.

I don't PVP. However, I have enjoyed the game for several years. We went thru drastic changes to the system before and we turn around and another. Once all stats are the same and nerfed then that might be the stopping point. As with the other changes they appear to fall on deaf ears. I feel like we are all being asked to go to the wadding pool.

I do understand that this is a game not for just kids but all ages. This is suppose to be fun and challenging. What is a challenge? It is something that you work on to try to improve or overcome.

I am still wandering if the previous changes were a success. Did it improve game play? Did it make wizards want to keep working hard improve? I have not heard one word in regards to the success of the changes.

That would be a good starting point I think.

Bye Peeps

Community Leader
I'm pretty sure the game matches you with different levels/ranks due to the number of people currently in queue. They can't find a fair match for you quickly, so they branch out until they find someone.

DuelCircle Organizer. The Slowpoke Sloth is the best.
Survivor
Dec 30, 2009
Michael Firehammer on May 2, 2017 wrote:
The reason why people are able to boost so easily at almost any time is that the 3v3 & 4v4 queues are being neglected by the players. In order for boosting to be "prevented" in a sense, there would need to be people actually participating in the queues competitively. The 3v3 & 4v4 system relies on people to actively participate in it but since everyone prefers solo/duo, it allows for boosting to happen.

In my opinion, KI should incentivise the 3v3 & 4v4 queue so that more people play in the queue, which in turn will "prevent" boosting. Or simply retire the 3v3 & 4v4 queues since there's 0% participation from the Ranked community. The only time people usually are in 3v3/4v4 queues are during Tournaments & Practice. Tournaments already have better rewards which allow for people to actively participate in team based tournaments while people do 3v3/4v4 practice matches for fun. I'd hope for the PvP community to actively participate in team based matches like before but it'd need some sort of incentive for people to do that rather than solo/duo. I'd rather not see them retire those queues but it'd be the worst case scenario solution.
They could do that too, but they also have to actually balance spells and gear for 3v3 and 4v4. Dispels for instance wreak havoc on all of team PvP, because with multiple people casting dispels, you can just bury a person in dispels.

Usually, when something is not really fair, it is amplified as a problem in team PvP, sometimes making team PvP unplayable. Like that time with the chain stunning.