Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Making the schools feel unique

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 19, 2009
One of the most interesting things about Wizard 101 is the school system. It gives each player a sense of uniqueness and gives some of the best moments when you get to show your friend a really cool spell you just learned that they have never seen before. One thing that I think would get new players more excited about the game is if each school felt more unique. At a certain point in the game, every school pretty much blades and uses AOE, and this can be seen by the decks that people run as they are farming or questing. They use a 60 card deck and fill it with 2 blades and 5 AOE attacks and that's it. This is not what new players are expecting from the game. I love to try to fill my decks up with lots of specialized spells incase I run into a situation where I need one of them. This is a little unrealistic, but I strongly believe that this is what most people expect and want from the game. I think one good way to make each school unique is to play more into what already makes them unique:

Fire has the damage over time spells so give them more spells that synergize with having damage of time on enemies.

Ice is suppose to be tanky so maybe give their spells some add-ons that give armor.

This can also be done outside of the spells by giving each school a specific passive/ability/talent. One good example of this is that the Myth school's identity is around summoning minions. The only problem is that the minions suck and pretty much never do what you want them to do. They can often even hurt the team by attacking an enemy that has traps set up on it for a big hit. Make it to where Myth wizards are able to control their minion's turns but other schools cannot. This gives Myth wizards a strong sense of identity and uniqueness.

These are just a few examples of things I would like to see in Wizard 101 in the future. These changes need to be made in accordance with late game and fairly early progress so that new players don't miss out on feeling powerful in their own special little way.

Thank you for your time. I hope the development team can push the schools to feel more unique even when just questing and stuff. Love the game.

Defender
Feb 03, 2012
I agree that we should keep the schools' uniqueness and and maintain identity. Out of fairness and necessity, the schools have borrowed each others' key abilities. I like your idea of Myth to be able to control minions. Balance is the most flexible of the schools, getting a little bit of everything and ability to use charms across all schools. Now other schools get DoTs and AoEs too,. So like Reshuffle, give balance something special and useful that other schools can't do or borrow from others. And please, please please do not compromise power for utility. It may seem like Balance would be op, but its damage is already considerably less than storm and fire. And life doesn't necessarily need more heals.

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
Hi;

i totally agree with this idea and this since quite long time.
The alpha-Striking strategy (blade,blade,... and one shot AOE) is completly destroying the idea of school identity.

and the lasts update on the game are actually giving more specificity on each school with the roshambo table

ice destroy blade easier and put storm debuff
storm gain bonuses from dot remove and hot use
fire gain increased dmg from removing shield

storm play with blades, ice with shields and fire with over times (over simplified)

spirit side is a little more tricky

all play with "hangings effects" but myth for agressive purpose (traps and dots), life for defensive (heals and dot) and death for debuff ( negatives dmg and heals, and dot) (over simplified too)

and more spell revamp will occur so just be patient to see all spell revamped and hope enemies will too cuz except the myth earthquake no enemies is a real threat to alpha striking strategy before 3rd ark.