Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bug Report: Issues with Critical Blocked and Incorrect Damage Shown

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
Since the Fall update went live with Lemuria, I have observed the following problematic issues:

1. I have never seen a player or an enemy say "Critical Blocked" since the update came out. I have quested through Lemuria on 4 characters, farmed for many pieces of Lemuria gear, and done lots of questing and farming outside of Lemuria as well, so I am confident that there is at least a visual bug here and it's not just my luck.

2. I have relatively often seen a certain amount of damage show up in battle but then had the enemy's health be higher than it should have been the round after the damage was dealt. Sometimes the game shows lethal damage to an enemy and displays their death animation, but then the enemy is still alive in the next round but invisible. Some players call this a "rounding error". However the discrepancy between damage shown and damage dealt is often much too high to be a small rounding issue.

I suspect that these two issues may be related, although I certainly recommend that the developers look into it in depth. My guess is that when I get a critical hit, all enemies will show critical damage, even if this is not the actual damage dealt. Again, this is only my guess and it is possible that these issues are separate. They are both still quite frustrating and I would appreciate if they were fixed.

On a separate note, it has been over 1 year since the new critical system was introduced, and I still don't know which enemies I get a critical hit on, which ones I didn't get a critical hit on, and which ones blocked my critical.

Explorer
Jul 25, 2010
Mil46 on Feb 20, 2022 wrote:
Since the Fall update went live with Lemuria, I have observed the following problematic issues:

1. I have never seen a player or an enemy say "Critical Blocked" since the update came out. I have quested through Lemuria on 4 characters, farmed for many pieces of Lemuria gear, and done lots of questing and farming outside of Lemuria as well, so I am confident that there is at least a visual bug here and it's not just my luck.

2. I have relatively often seen a certain amount of damage show up in battle but then had the enemy's health be higher than it should have been the round after the damage was dealt. Sometimes the game shows lethal damage to an enemy and displays their death animation, but then the enemy is still alive in the next round but invisible. Some players call this a "rounding error". However the discrepancy between damage shown and damage dealt is often much too high to be a small rounding issue.

I suspect that these two issues may be related, although I certainly recommend that the developers look into it in depth. My guess is that when I get a critical hit, all enemies will show critical damage, even if this is not the actual damage dealt. Again, this is only my guess and it is possible that these issues are separate. They are both still quite frustrating and I would appreciate if they were fixed.

On a separate note, it has been over 1 year since the new critical system was introduced, and I still don't know which enemies I get a critical hit on, which ones I didn't get a critical hit on, and which ones blocked my critical.
1. The critical system was changed last year, which removed the critical block animation. Instead, if you don't meet the critical change range (by hovering over an attack card and looking at the critical chance per enemy at the top), then they won't take critical damage, even if you "Critical!"

2. This is likely just an issue between the client and the server.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
smokey123443 on Mar 2, 2022 wrote:
1. The critical system was changed last year, which removed the critical block animation. Instead, if you don't meet the critical change range (by hovering over an attack card and looking at the critical chance per enemy at the top), then they won't take critical damage, even if you "Critical!"

2. This is likely just an issue between the client and the server.
This has been an ongoing issue.

The math and such may be checking out, but the UI is confusing and simply incorrect according to players. It looks like mobs are blocking when they shouldn't be.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
1. They did not actually remove the critical block animation. It used to show before the lemuria update, which was much after they changed critical.

2. That's possible, although this bug is quite common (it's not just me), so I think it should be a priority for getting fixed.

Explorer
Jul 25, 2010
exp613 on Mar 4, 2022 wrote:
This has been an ongoing issue.

The math and such may be checking out, but the UI is confusing and simply incorrect according to players. It looks like mobs are blocking when they shouldn't be.
I agree that the UI is confusing, but it's not the mobs that are really "blocking", but really just your critical hit range not being met for all the enemies.

Even if you're level 150, there's always a maximum chance of 95% to critical on any given enemy (and per enemy), no matter how much critical rating you have, meaning you will not critical on a Lost Soul 5 out of 100 times.

Explorer
Jul 25, 2010
Mil46 on Mar 4, 2022 wrote:
1. They did not actually remove the critical block animation. It used to show before the lemuria update, which was much after they changed critical.

2. That's possible, although this bug is quite common (it's not just me), so I think it should be a priority for getting fixed.
For 1: The animation probably still exists in the code, but it simply has never appeared since Lemuria came out, and for a while before that as well.

Defender
Dec 30, 2011
smokey123443 on Mar 10, 2022 wrote:
For 1: The animation probably still exists in the code, but it simply has never appeared since Lemuria came out, and for a while before that as well.
If I remember correctly, it was removed when Karamelle came out along with the critical changes, they brought it back in the Spring Update and removed it again in the Summer Update. I don't know if that's what happened but that's what I remember.

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
smokey123443 on Mar 10, 2022 wrote:
I agree that the UI is confusing, but it's not the mobs that are really "blocking", but really just your critical hit range not being met for all the enemies.

Even if you're level 150, there's always a maximum chance of 95% to critical on any given enemy (and per enemy), no matter how much critical rating you have, meaning you will not critical on a Lost Soul 5 out of 100 times.
Mobs do actually have a chance to block your critical, and there was a time between the Karamelle and Lemuria updates when this was shown with a "critical blocked" animation. It's true that most of the time when you don't see critical damage it is due to not having a critical in the first place, but sometimes it is due to the enemy blocking your critical. Given how many battles I have been in since the Lemuria update, I can only conclude that the game is no longer showing us the "critical blocked" animation.