Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

interactable art book housing items

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 23, 2012
Hello. This topic is about all of the current interactible art book housing items. Currently there is the Wizard city art book, Kroktopia art book, Marleybone art book, and the Dragonspyre art book.
I've read many perspectives people have about these items. Some of the primary topics of backlash include how it can only be obtained for crowns, that it's not a craftable item, and that there isn't enough art within the book. I've also read people who reference this as a concept art book, and complain that some art is inconsistent with original concept designs, despite the item being called "art book" not "concept art book".

While I overall can agree with some points and disagree with others, I am overall very disappointed in these housing items, and I'd like to express why. I'll primarily be using the Wizard City Art Book as my reference.

To start, when searching up "wizard101 concept art / Wizard101 art" on google, not very much shows up. Some of the more popular images from various worlds pop up, such as the official art of the deer knight in Avalon, or gladiator dimachaerus from Aquilla. Some cool twitter posts from the Wizard101 artist Adam Roush can be seen as well, such as his explaination and showcase on the various concepts behind the "celestian sword", which were officially added into the game as "Celestian Axe" in the celestian spellemental pack. From his screeshot of his initial concepts, we can see how the final in-game product was a combination of various concepts initially drawn.
There is no official archive or web page by kingsile that has all their art, both prior and current, readily available to be seen. And when the artistic creation process can be especially so interesting, I've never understood why all the art wasn't ever easily accessible. These art book housing items could have really been a chance at changing that, in a way that is organized and profitable. But instead, the incredibly small amount of 10 Images that are shown, were very lackluster, along with their very short descriptions.

The rest of this post will be my personal analysis and opinon of the Wizard City Art Book. Hopefully going through my perspective can shed some light on how future books can be improved, and how current books can be revised.

The very first image within the Wizard City Art book was a huge disappointment. While, rightfully so, it featured Ambrose, it is also the exact same image we see of Ambrose every single time we log into the game.

The second and third images are worth the purcahse. I've personally never seen them before. It was a unique experience to see art of us, the "hero". And I felt like I was going through a history book when seeing the old art of wizard city as a whole.

Images 4 and 5 of Gamma and Diego felt average. I personally felt they did not stand out in a unique way, but they are well worth being inside the wizard city art book

the 6th image of the 2 banshee variants was very cool. I thought it was interesting that the uncolored concept art was the choice of image here, I felt like i was able to take a sneak peak in the old creation process.

I hold the same opinion of image 7, the cyclops, as images 4 and 5.

The 8th image was very unique. Seeing concept art of older crown gear was extremely cool. I'd love to have seen more art of retired wizard city aged crown items, such as the kirin, wyvern, koi fish, and lobster mounts.

The 9th image, which was titled "granny" was either 3 different concepts of gretta, or 3 different grannies, one being Zeek's wife, one being Gretta, and the third I cannot think of currently. The image itself is cool, but the lack of description left me wondering which of these 2 possibilities the photo could have been of.

The 10th of the pet derby ringmaster image is very similar to images 4, 5, and 7. However, outside of a very early leveled quest to tour the pet training grounds, not much other interaction is made with the ringmaster throughout the game. because of this lack of interaction, seeing his art within the book felt almost memorable. "Oh yeah, that guy, he's cool." was my initial reaction to seeing the ringmaster art.

My other recommendations and critiques about this item is what should have been done. I feel more than 10 images should have been included. I feel more detailed descriptions should have been included as well. Art of mounts, spells, pets, loading screens ( both orinigal and current ), and artwork of various locations, such as unicorn way, could have been in the art book. The wizard city art book felt very limited to characters, when it could have been all about the environment as well. I know there's gotta be some interesting art somewhere of wormguts castle, or the hedge maze! And what better place could that have been shown off, other than the wizard city art book? There is allot of potential, but the product felt very lackluster.

Thanks for the consideration and time I know this is ultimately just about a housing item, but art and decorating houses is one of my top interests in the game, along with creating pets. So I just felt it was right to share my opinion. Thanks to the art team for all the updates they've recently done with aoe spells, wizard city, and beautifully stunning worlds like Lemuria.