Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Wizard with Gear Problems

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 12, 2021
Hello!

I'm a returning player from waaay back when. I just gave this a shot again because I've been seeing ads about it and I'm not regretting my decision! Im not new to MMO since I play FFXIV. However, I had friends to teach me about gears and stuff on FFXIV. I currently don't have friends here yet so Im here posting! Anyways, this might be a dumb question but where is the best places to get gear? I know there's the Bazaar and the Crowne shop. However, it seems very generic for me. I was looking for something specific to my character (death wizard). I know in FFXIV there was a belief that you should change gears every 5-10 levels. I'm already level 16 and I still have the basic gears. I do have some specific gears for my character but they're still a little low level.

Thanks and I appreciate it!

Survivor
Jun 18, 2011
Hi,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game! You may have already noticed, but there are many levels to be gained before reaching the maximum level. The best gear will depend mainly on certain level milestones, though certain playstyles might influence what gear choices are best for you. You are still at a low level so bazaar gear will probably be the best for you as of now.

The following are some important places (all are dungeons) where you can get stronger gear at higher levels:
Level 30 - Mount Olympus, Aquila
Level 60 - Waterworks, Crab Alley
Level 100 - Darkmoor

Additionally, you have the option to craft your gear, but this gear is usually not as good until you get high-level recipes.

Have fun in your travels across the Sprial!

Administrator
queenjelly626 on Aug 19, 2021 wrote:
Hello!

I'm a returning player from waaay back when. I just gave this a shot again because I've been seeing ads about it and I'm not regretting my decision! Im not new to MMO since I play FFXIV. However, I had friends to teach me about gears and stuff on FFXIV. I currently don't have friends here yet so Im here posting! Anyways, this might be a dumb question but where is the best places to get gear? I know there's the Bazaar and the Crowne shop. However, it seems very generic for me. I was looking for something specific to my character (death wizard). I know in FFXIV there was a belief that you should change gears every 5-10 levels. I'm already level 16 and I still have the basic gears. I do have some specific gears for my character but they're still a little low level.

Thanks and I appreciate it!
Hi Queenjelly! I'm glad you are enjoying the game so far! We do have the Bazaar and there are tools you can use to help sort the gear. There should be a check box that says "usable" next to it. When you click that it will be all gear available to your wizard at that time. If you want to take it a step further, you can click on the "SCH" tab, this will bring all of the gear exclusive to your wizard's school to the top of the page. This will also pull the items up based on level going from smallest to largest. From personal experience, Bazaar gear will work well, until about level 30. Then I would suggest heading to Mt. Olympus and farming for the senator or zeus gear sets, as mentioned above. If you want to look at Crown Shop items I would suggest the Heartsteel athame, the 5 resist stat it gives is great for a decent amount of levels. I hope this helps! If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
I'll be honest with you, I got a full set of balance Senator's gear from Aquila (level 30 gear) and put it on my new balance when she got to be that level - and I've heard people say you should wear (or could wear) Olympus gear until level 60 until you replace it with Waterworks gear.. and my balance now is level 42, and she's already outgrown her Senator's gear. She's now wearing Bazaar bought gear.

I've gotten into my mid-80's on my death with just bought gear and crafted gear.

I do endorse getting your crafting skill up primarily because once you get to Wintertusk, you're going to want to start crafting your gear - the crafted gear there is awesome, and it will last you several levels, even into your 80s in some cases. I believe for my Death, I made sure when I got to Zafaria, I got her one of the crafted robes (Annalise's.. something, I think it was called) - but, I've never seen much good in Waterworks or Olympus gear. Given, I've never done waterworks, but I've gotten into my 80's on my Death without it. It just depends on your play style, what you want to concentrate on (like more critical hit, more critical block, more attack strength, do you want more defense from certain schools, etcetera), but Bazaar gear and Crafted are usually the way I go. I also don't have a lot of patience farming, either. It's very tedious.

I do recommend looking ever 5-10 levels for new gear until you're about level 50. Then you should be looking very 2 levels.