Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

suggestions for finishing the item UI

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 07, 2010
hey all, i just wanted to bring attention to something with the game's item UI that i think the devs (and perhaps the players) have forgotten about.

firstly, the current item UI is a lot better than when it was first revamped over a year ago. i commend the KI team for working with the players to get it to where it is now!

however, as good as it is, the item UI is actually still unfinished. its very close to being finished, though -- there are just a few things that need some polish, bug-fixing, and slight changing.

one main thing is to remove the unnecessary dead space (empty lines) between stats. there are currently two of these gaps. one is under the item's jewel sockets; if there are no jewel sockets, there is no gap. the other is above the "ctrl + left-click for more info" graphic; it's always there, and typically looks like its under either the item's level requirement OR its special tag icons (the small "no auction," "no sell," etc. icons). these gaps have existed for a while, and they look awkward. not only that, but they make the item UI take up unnecessary space. this contradicts the original goal of the item UI revamp: to make it more compact.

with this in mind, the other main thing is to change the "ctrl + left-click for more info" graphic to "right-click for more info." i think the playerbase can all agree that right-click is a FAR better, more user-friendly shortcut than KI's uncomfortable "ctrl + left-click" one. as it is now, new players will have no idea that right-click is even an option, being forced to use the cumbersome ctrl + left-click shortcut only because of misleading UI. but its not just that; a "right-click for more" graphic could also take up considerably less space -- easily only using one line instead of two. again, this would fit better with the UI's goal to take up less space, but still be readable and user-friendly.

finally, there's a notable bug where the "ctrl + left-click for more info" graphic is offered on items that definitely dont need it, such as jewels and elixirs. this also takes up space for no reason.

thats it though! if there is anything i missed or that you guys would like to say about how the UI could be improved, please feel free to comment. otherwise, i think that with the changes i mentioned, the item UI will finally be truly finished -- at least for the time being!

i hope these suggestions are helpful. thank you for reading, i appreciate your time