Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ideas on how to revive the minion school.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Hello, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about class identities. We got on the topic of the Myth school and how the class identity is a summoner. Over time, the class evolved into a damage-dealing style, and the minions fell to the wayside.

The "Willcast" mechanic is fascinating simply because you can use it before you cast your spell in combat. If we merge that with the cheat mechanic the final Karamelle boss used, couldn't you choose what spells your minion could cast next? - Whether that be heal, attack, buff, or tank?

Maybe the Devs could add a spell to tell your minion to "pass" should you dislike the spell your minion is getting ready to throw. EXAMPLE: Your minion could hit your opponent and waste the feint spell you have on them. That's where you tell them to pass or perhaps stun them that turn.

Of course, you could adjust the minions to be more like the loremaster's "fonts" in Dragonspyre. Those help her out quite a bit, and she only casts a spell every few rounds. I think writing two spell paths for minions for both PVP & PVE is well worth it.

I would love to hear other opinions on how to bring the summoner class back to summoning.

~Master Juan

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I would agree that the summoning school took a back seat, but only to a point. Once they introduced monstrology, Myth became the summoning school it should have been all along.

Explorer
Oct 24, 2019
Master Juan Song on Mar 7, 2021 wrote:
Hello, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about class identities. We got on the topic of the Myth school and how the class identity is a summoner. Over time, the class evolved into a damage-dealing style, and the minions fell to the wayside.

The "Willcast" mechanic is fascinating simply because you can use it before you cast your spell in combat. If we merge that with the cheat mechanic the final Karamelle boss used, couldn't you choose what spells your minion could cast next? - Whether that be heal, attack, buff, or tank?

Maybe the Devs could add a spell to tell your minion to "pass" should you dislike the spell your minion is getting ready to throw. EXAMPLE: Your minion could hit your opponent and waste the feint spell you have on them. That's where you tell them to pass or perhaps stun them that turn.

Of course, you could adjust the minions to be more like the loremaster's "fonts" in Dragonspyre. Those help her out quite a bit, and she only casts a spell every few rounds. I think writing two spell paths for minions for both PVP & PVE is well worth it.

I would love to hear other opinions on how to bring the summoner class back to summoning.

~Master Juan
Your idea is a little similar to mine I had discussed with others out of game.

My idea was to have the Minions show 3 cards above their Head and you choose 1 of them for it to cast.
As a way to prevent Minions from being completely broken, you'd be FORCED to choose a card.
Cannot Pass or Discard from their Hand.

There also really isn't a way to choose "Heal, Attack, etc.", its more of whatever was in the Minions "Hand".

Passing and Discarding would create too much intelligence and Minion advantages in things like PvP. Need some level of lack of control for there to be balance.

If we HAD to meet somewhere in the middle, I'd be more OK with Discarding than Passing and Card Type Selecting. Discarding you could cycle unwanted cards out and hope for a good card.