Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Petting Pets

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 13, 2021
Like the title says, I think it'd be nice to have the option to pet our pets!

I can see it being set up easily with pre-existing code too: Pets free-roaming in your castle (not the one you have equipped) have an 'press x or click to interact' option. Upon doing so, your wizard performs an animation where they, well, pet the pet! Once the animation's over, the pet does their dance to signify happiness. If you want to get really extra, maybe include some particle effects with the dance to emphasize how happy the pet is.

Alternatively, instead of a unique animation for wizards, our lovely narrator describes us giving our companions affection. Though, in the latter's case, I feel like a random dialogue pool would be needed to keep it from getting grating, as comforting a voice the narrator has. Seriously, whatever you're paying that actress, it's not enough!

In my opinion, it doesn't even have to have any benefits. It could just be a cute, for-flavor QoL update. Although, if the devs REALLY wanted to, maybe petting pets gives them happiness? Or, perhaps, it offers a small random reward pool like feeding your pet an item does?

With the advent and popularity of accounts like 'Can You Pet The Dog' and generally just more pet-bonding/petting pet options in video-games nowadays, I think KingsIsle could, at bare minimum, see a wave of positive publicity for something like this. And also I would be very happy because I could give my Sleet Bat scritchies

Anyone else ever wished they could pet their pets? If this were to happen, should it just be for flavor or should it contribute to pet benefits in some way? Does this actually already exist in the game and I'm just blind? I'd love to hear other folks' thoughts!

Explorer
Oct 24, 2019
zelebirbo on Mar 7, 2021 wrote:
Like the title says, I think it'd be nice to have the option to pet our pets!

I can see it being set up easily with pre-existing code too: Pets free-roaming in your castle (not the one you have equipped) have an 'press x or click to interact' option. Upon doing so, your wizard performs an animation where they, well, pet the pet! Once the animation's over, the pet does their dance to signify happiness. If you want to get really extra, maybe include some particle effects with the dance to emphasize how happy the pet is.

Alternatively, instead of a unique animation for wizards, our lovely narrator describes us giving our companions affection. Though, in the latter's case, I feel like a random dialogue pool would be needed to keep it from getting grating, as comforting a voice the narrator has. Seriously, whatever you're paying that actress, it's not enough!

In my opinion, it doesn't even have to have any benefits. It could just be a cute, for-flavor QoL update. Although, if the devs REALLY wanted to, maybe petting pets gives them happiness? Or, perhaps, it offers a small random reward pool like feeding your pet an item does?

With the advent and popularity of accounts like 'Can You Pet The Dog' and generally just more pet-bonding/petting pet options in video-games nowadays, I think KingsIsle could, at bare minimum, see a wave of positive publicity for something like this. And also I would be very happy because I could give my Sleet Bat scritchies

Anyone else ever wished they could pet their pets? If this were to happen, should it just be for flavor or should it contribute to pet benefits in some way? Does this actually already exist in the game and I'm just blind? I'd love to hear other folks' thoughts!
I don't think adding animations to EVERY pet in Wizard101 is the best thing but like you mentioned having a simple dialogue with the narrator saying things like, would work:
"Your pet appreciates your affection and lets out a noise of joy!"
"Your pet jumps for joy as it is shown some affection."
"Your pet seems tired as you pet its head"

I feel like perhaps after 10 pets or more, it should raise your Pets "Happiness" stat some.

Get a badge for petting your pets 10000 times called "Pet Petter"

Survivor
Feb 13, 2021
JValhalla on Mar 8, 2021 wrote:
I don't think adding animations to EVERY pet in Wizard101 is the best thing but like you mentioned having a simple dialogue with the narrator saying things like, would work:
"Your pet appreciates your affection and lets out a noise of joy!"
"Your pet jumps for joy as it is shown some affection."
"Your pet seems tired as you pet its head"

I feel like perhaps after 10 pets or more, it should raise your Pets "Happiness" stat some.

Get a badge for petting your pets 10000 times called "Pet Petter"
Oh, sorry that I wasn't clear!

I meant only our wizard would get a new unique animation for petting in this scenario! The pet wouldn't get a new animation. It would probably just turn to face our wizard and stay still as we pet it, I imagine. I was suggesting then, as a response afterwards, our pet would do their already implemented dance or idle animation - the one they do when they cast a spell or win a pet game.

I agree 100% that giving every single pet a unique response animation would take too many resources, and meant from the beginning that only our wizard should be uniquely animated in this 'new animation' theory. Again, apologies for not being as clear.

A badge for petting sounds great too! Some alternate titles, if I may suggest, could be "Cuddle Monster" or, in reference to aforementioned account, "You CAN Pet The Dog!"