Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

macOS Big Sur now Supported for Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Administrator
chimera1010 on Mar 15, 2021 wrote:
Sparck, with all due respect, this seems to be a copied message from a previous post. We have already reported and contacted CodeWeavers regarding this issue, but instead get rude and unhelpful responses. It's unfortunate that nobody seems to care about this issue, but hopefully one day we can load into the game with zero to minimal lag and actually enjoy the game like the rest of users.
This was the first time we posted it in the forums, though if there is another area that it should be mentioned, we'd like to make sure everyone is aware of where to go.

Our apologies that we cannot resolve the M1 issues directly :(. It seems to be either a CodeWeavers issue or an M1 specific issue. You said you contacted them and they responded? If you could send us to community@kingsisle.com their response please.

If you all want to start an M1 forum thread to talk more about it together, I think that'd be a great way to see if you can communicate together a resolution that either CodeWeavers or M1 expresses.

Meanwhile, we're also keeping in contact with CodeWeavers to see if there's anything we can communicate to you on resolving the issue.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
Sparck,
I had contacted codeweavers before you posted about them....was told to do that by Kings Isle support. Took them a while to respond, but they did. The response was not particularly positive, but not a closed door. Basically, they said they were looking into it, they had no eta, and it probably wouldnt be soon...but they were going to try and have something by the next Wiz update (whenever that is).
I did forward this email from them back to Kings Isle, and was told it was in codeweavers hands. Hopefully not, but feels kind of lost in the handoff. Maybe, Wiz support or Kings Isle needs to check on their (Codeweavers) commitment...none of my family can really play until this is fixed.

Survivor
Jun 28, 2018
The email I received from codeweavers was as following:

"Hello,

Thank you fo writing us. As it turns out this is known issue isolated to the M1 macs. We are currently working with Apple on addressing the problem. There is not an immediate fix or an ETA on a resolution, however if you have and Intel mac the game should be playable on this. We hope to have a fix in the next update to W101 along with a MacOS update.

Regards,
Codeweavers Support"

Survivor
Dec 09, 2010
Sparck on Mar 16, 2021 wrote:
This was the first time we posted it in the forums, though if there is another area that it should be mentioned, we'd like to make sure everyone is aware of where to go.

Our apologies that we cannot resolve the M1 issues directly :(. It seems to be either a CodeWeavers issue or an M1 specific issue. You said you contacted them and they responded? If you could send us to community@kingsisle.com their response please.

If you all want to start an M1 forum thread to talk more about it together, I think that'd be a great way to see if you can communicate together a resolution that either CodeWeavers or M1 expresses.

Meanwhile, we're also keeping in contact with CodeWeavers to see if there's anything we can communicate to you on resolving the issue.
It's probably both a CodeWeavers issue and M1 issue. Not sure if reaching out to Apple would make any difference but I could. Bet they are going to point fingers at CodeWeavers instead of their new chips.

I actually think starting a M1 forum thread would be great. All M1 users can share their experiences and any possible workarounds if there are any to help reduce the lag and frame drops. It wouldn't hurt to have one because from seeing the numerous responses online in not only this thread but other websites, people are frustrated and experiencing the same issues when switching to the newest Apple chip laptops and computers.

Thanks for your continued work and effort to ensure us Apple users a better gaming experience.

Survivor
Aug 14, 2010
Sparck on Jan 15, 2021 wrote:
For those experiencing slow/laggy gameplay, what was the performance like the last time you were able to play before macOS Big Sur?
It was a very smooth experience, and would only show laggy frames around crowded areas such as the commons or the bazaar. Pleas fix this as soon as you can, we would greatly appreciate it, thank you. This is on a base M1 MacBook Pro 2020, I ran it on my little brother's MacBook 2014, and it run super smooth, just like it was before on my old MacBook. Please help us out!

Survivor
Aug 14, 2010
Sparck on Jan 19, 2021 wrote:
We are looking into each of these reports. If you could provide more details about your particular setup and if you played previously without issue, this would help us to diagnose the source of the problem.

Thanks!
It's not really a lag with internet issues, as my internet is fine. It's something to do with the compatibility between the M1 chips and the game. My brother runs his MacBook Pro 2014 with mid to high textures and runs the game super smooth, as in good frames, while my new 2020 M1 MacBook Pro can barely hit like 20 frames while in super populated areas with either people or enemies. When in places like the boss fights that aren't dungeons, the game somewhat picks up a bit, but still low frames in comparison to the crisp quality my brother's laptop shows. I know that it's something to do with these laptops being new and the software may not be 100% compatible just yet. Please help fix this soon!

Survivor
Aug 14, 2010
Sosa0510 on Jan 27, 2021 wrote:
When will this be fix? I bought a year membership and haven’t really play because of all the lag the game has on my M1 MacBook Pro. Spark please give us an update. I begggggg you.
Same man, I've been trying to quest more, but I get demotivated just by seeing the horrible frames it gives us man. I was really hoping this new chip would run the game extra smooth haha.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2010
@Sparck since you guys recently posted that Wizard101 will be moving to a 64 bit platform shortly, is that in anyway connected to the issues we've mentioned regarding MacOS Big Sur computers with the M1 chip? Hopefully that will fix the frame drops and lag if this update is meant for that.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2021
Hey, I downloaded the game a few days ago on my 2020 MacBook Pro and the game was working fine. My computer did an auto update last night to Big Sur 11.2.3 and now the game will not load at all. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the game many times. When i try to open the game it says "please wait as Wizard101 initializes" then that goes away and i am left on my home screen with nothing opening. When i go to close the app it flashes a screen too quick for me to read.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2021
i downloaded wiz almost a month ago and now it said it is compatible only with 64 bit so mine is not and wasnt working at all. i uninstalled it and reinstalled it and now it has the same problem as everyone where it stops after initializing. what to do? can this be fixed?

Survivor
Apr 18, 2021
Sparck on Jan 7, 2021 wrote:
JAN. 14 UPDATE:

We're happy to inform you that Wizard101 now supports Big Sur!

Depending on your exact setup, you may need to reinstall the game before it will let you log in, especially if you updated to Big Sur before Jan. 13th.

Please post any technical concerns related to macOS Big Sur in the comments below. If you have any general account related questions, please read our FAQ and knowledgebase first and then contact customer support and they will be happy to assist further.

Pirate101 support will be implemented soon.

Thank you for your extended patience as we worked to implement this compatibility.
Hey, I downloaded the game a few days ago on my 2020 MacBook Pro and the game was working fine. My computer did an auto update last night to Big Sur 11.2.3 and now the game will not load at all. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the game many times. When i try to open the game it says "please wait as Wizard101 initializes" then that goes away and i am left on my home screen with nothing opening. When i go to close the app it flashes a screen too quick for me to read.

Survivor
May 11, 2020
AprilLee02 on Apr 21, 2021 wrote:
Hi AprilLee02,

You should visit the headmaster’s announcements, Spark has posted something new on this situation. I have the same problem as you but it seems they have found a link to solve the problem!

I cab send you the link if you want to.

Survivor
Oct 04, 2020
I am having the same problem but there's a message that says "Please wait while Wizard101 initializes" and it freezes and then disappears. but for a split second, another one pops up but immediately disappears. Ive tried to re download it twice and nothing has worked. any advice?

Survivor
Oct 04, 2020
For people having problems on an older macbook, look at your processor. after trying to play wiz and updating everything i realized my computer does not run 64bit. if you have a intel core2 or older you can run it. if not then you have to find a different device that is compatible to run 64bit apps.

Administrator