Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Kingsisle's reporting system is in need of improvement.

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
exp613 on Feb 6, 2021 wrote:
Is being unsportsman like against the ToS though?

I agree that there should be some way to blacklist the player. I've had similar issues with people in the past and also recently in the Beastmoon events.
I also understand that the "Ignore" option is the current way to blacklist a player, but at the same time. If multiple people are ignoring the SAME person, I feel like it's them who have some sort of issue.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 8, 2021 wrote:
Exactly, you cant just simply report people like that. In the commons people were just simply wanting to be mean to a person, calling his gear trash, telling him he cant even beat wizard city and know body reported anyone. Why? because roast battles are fun to watch and participate in.
Unless you're the young player being "roasted". I then recommend that if you don't like what people say to you; either click "ignore" or go to a different realm.
And if you're the kind of troll that enjoys that, I wouldn't want to know you!

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Lookit Light on Feb 8, 2021 wrote:
A similar system actually already exists in the game. If you click on another player, you have the option to "ignore" them, which results in you no longer receiving chat or messages from them for any reason. Very good idea though.
Thought that only worked for friends.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Snee432 on Feb 8, 2021 wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was accused of bullying because a player did not like a high-level wizard teaming up in lower level dungeons. I explained that team-up is for everyone, and that I would never, and have never, engaged in bullying. I am fairly certain if I had not nipped this in the bud immediately, I would have been falsely reported.

There is a marked difference between insulting someone's pet/gear/hairstyle/etc. and abuse. I've had players call my wizard ugly, to which I always respond "Thanks!", and while they're trying to figure that out, I click ignore. I don't report them, because behaving like a petulant toddler does not violate TOS.

However, I have had someone threaten to harm me in real life, had someone try to convince me to give them my password, and watched with horror as several male wizards went around the chat filter to type some of the most offensive things I've ever seen to a female wizard in the PvP lobby. All of that is reportable. And if KI wants to create a safe environment, as they claim, those reports must be taken seriously.

Perhaps the new owners will hire more staff to go through reports and check chat logs. Perhaps we will have actual hall monitors whose sole job it is to make certain Wizard is free from harassment and abuse.

What I would suggest is if you are in a situation you feel is unsafe and/or abusive, take screenshots. Have evidence of the abuse and harassment before you report, so if your report is not addressed, you can send those screenshots to KI. And if someone is engaging in illegal behavior (threats of harm, doxing, predatory language or actions), those screenshots can also be given to law enforcement.

Our society puts the onus on victims. This is wrong, and yet, it is a fact. You can look through posts about bullying and harassment on this very website and find responses telling victims it's up to them to switch realms, or to stop being so sensitive.

Given that we live in a world where bullies are rewarded in real life for their behavior, none of this is going to change anytime soon. But putting longtime players great records and no (or less than 5 over 10 years) reports against them in the game as monitors would help. Make sure these players are adults, and give them very specific rules and guidelines. Give them a badge, so if someone is being harassed, bullied, or victimized by a predator, that player can go to the hall monitor for help. Having solutions available in real time would be extremely beneficial for everyone.

There's no quick fix for any of this. People who are unhappy with their lives take that out on others, especially online, where they can be anonymous. Predators lurk in games like Wiz, hoping to find that one kid who's unaware of the dangers posed by someone asking their age, real name, and typing "Want free crowns? Do you have TOR?" People who log on just to try and make other people miserable abound in Wiz, and online in general. That's just the nature of the internet.

So play happy, play safe, take screenshots if you see something that sends up red flags, and hopefully, KI will eventually put a consistent system in place to make their games safer for all of us.
Just want to point out, calling someone ugly is not overly rude and it should not be moderated. Say for instance you think the alien celestial creatures look ugly, you could call them ugly. And i know with that people could call you ugly or your gear ugly and whatever but as i said before thats not overly rude, can be as rude to some people as saying, get a life. Also yes, if you actually were exposed to the REAL internet in a matter of seconds you will be exposed to curses and bullies, and you just have to deal with it, its just how the internet is. And honestly if someone is saying something that you consider overly rude, just ignore them and if you think you should stand up for yourself and make them stop, sure you can exchange insults and I consider that fun. Its super easy to make fun of someone who is trying to be mean and then you just click ignore and its as if you just muted them except they dont realize it. Like if you watched DreamSMP videos for instance, ummmm, yeah people get bullied a lot, even though its friends bullying each other, some insults are kind of bad, really bad.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
I have a question, is typing like the first letter of a curse word or replacing it with a nice word like, shoot or fudge considered abusing or not? Like if we want to say someone a comeback can we type "something something something (1k hertz noise) something something something"

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 10, 2021 wrote:
I have a question, is typing like the first letter of a curse word or replacing it with a nice word like, shoot or fudge considered abusing or not? Like if we want to say someone a comeback can we type "something something something (1k hertz noise) something something something"
That is a perfect example of what is called "creative cursing", trying to go around the filters; if you must use that word (perhaps a snack that has 'fudge' in it) the context of the sentence will be taken in account. Just saying "fudge" or worse is calling for you to get reported.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 10, 2021 wrote:
That would be considered as swearing around the filters and would justifiably get you reported.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
exp613 on Feb 9, 2021 wrote:
This is part of the problem. "Roast battles" or people just having a laugh at another person's expense is not funny to those being ridiculed.

I do not see this as appropriate for a children's game. Find a more mature game if that's something you are looking for.
You meant immature? Yeah but say you invite some people to your house just to carry insults from one another because you all think it will be a good laugh I dont see a problem if everyone is happy and I know many many many "children" who know things and might have it fun. Its ok if you think insulting people as a fun thing is really inappropriate, we can have our own opinions, but if a group of people become happy and feel less miserable and thats what makes them laugh and be happy, I simply do not see a problem.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
anecorbie on Feb 9, 2021 wrote:
Unless you're the young player being "roasted". I then recommend that if you don't like what people say to you; either click "ignore" or go to a different realm.
And if you're the kind of troll that enjoys that, I wouldn't want to know you!
I dont get the "Unless your the young player being 'roasted'"

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
Hi Coyle,

that depend a lot of the case and the frequency.
basically trying to get around the filter is forbidden but i admit i sometime told a darn and heard a shot in a fight that was turning bad.

the real problem is to abuse of them ( shot is not a sign that show your sentence is ending or saying fudge on the middle of the common cuz thats fun to show how you hacked the system)

honestly thats a game, try to avoid these word but don't be worried because a shot escaped. Sometime thats exactly this feeling.

the not so rude wizards and witches

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Stormwind 8108 on Feb 11, 2021 wrote:
Hi Coyle,

that depend a lot of the case and the frequency.
basically trying to get around the filter is forbidden but i admit i sometime told a darn and heard a shot in a fight that was turning bad.

the real problem is to abuse of them ( shot is not a sign that show your sentence is ending or saying fudge on the middle of the common cuz thats fun to show how you hacked the system)

honestly thats a game, try to avoid these word but don't be worried because a shot escaped. Sometime thats exactly this feeling.

the not so rude wizards and witches
shot? whats that?

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Lookit Light on Feb 10, 2021 wrote:
That would be considered as swearing around the filters and would justifiably get you reported.
ok, but a player reports you, if you use this in a non abusive way, even if your not using the literal meaning of fudge, you probably wont get reported unless someone got abused because you used a curse word. But reporting people because they said a bad word but did not even offend you and were not using in it in a way that offends people, you shouldn't report people because they said a bad word bu did not try to offend you and did not offend you. (I used the word "offend" way to much lol).