Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Kingsisle's reporting system is in need of improvement.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Sparck on Jan 21, 2021 wrote:
Thanks all for the continued discussion. It's a sensitive topic that needs to be met with measured moderation that matches our community's expectations and underlying policies. Those policies are very strict to protect younger age groups, so know that moderation will by this need be stricter than other games may employ.

I'm noting that we've let a few of the milder words through here since they were staged specifically as examples to get the point across. This won't always be allowed, especially for stronger words, so please continue to submit posts to moderation with reasoned responses that we won't have to later reject.

As I always say, "context and intent matter".
"Context and intent matter", yes I strongly agree. Cursing because you fizzled does not mean you are being rude or bullying you are just mad and its just a stronger way of saying crap or shoot. And even if it is directed to someone, most of the time you can tell is he wanting the person it is directed to to laugh or to become angry or sad. I would give an example but it would get filtered. Basically what I am trying to say is many people use it as comedy and making someone happy rather than sad or angry. So maybe it can be filtered so that you can type a curse word individually but not with something that can direct it to a certain person maybe only have it in open chat but then people who are younger would have to wait and if they also want to sort of curse.

So maybe have open chat also enable-able in the big settings or master settings, whatever you call it.

I am sort of having the feeling as soon as this gets posted it will get automatically rejected by everyone but I just wanted to say this so... yeah.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
anecorbie on Jan 24, 2021 wrote:
Old style cartoon strips (newspaper) used to use various punctuation to suggest swearing, like: *#@!
Don't know how it would work in a game that practically uses no punctuation, except, . ? !
I kind of like that idea, though. Use it for your text suggestion post.
Yeah about the punctuation, it would be great if you could write .,?! without any words next to them. Also it would be good if they add !@£$%*&^#.

Explorer
Apr 15, 2017
One thing I'd really like for the reporting system is if action has been taken against a user I reported.

It doesn't have to tell me me who it was, but just knowing my reports mattered and went through is a good thing. There's sometimes some pretty nasty stuff said in the commons.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
anecorbie on Jan 25, 2021 wrote:
This is for the parents of children under 13, who DON'T want their children exposed to filthy language of all types (not just swear words). KI is advertised as "child" or "family friendly" for that reason.
Of course, some adults swear and bully, but not all of them. Why punish the majority because of a minority of foul mouthed half-wits?

P.S. I believe we have reached the end of this argument, it doesn't really have anything to do with this subject: "Stricter Filters", so let's agree to disagree and let it alone.
Ok I might make another topic about what should be allowed but like I said before I'm young, and I dont know what you consider swear words and other filthy language but I got exposed to it a long time ago and I am young.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 26, 2021 wrote:
Ok I might make another topic about what should be allowed but like I said before I'm young, and I dont know what you consider swear words and other filthy language but I got exposed to it a long time ago and I am young.
Any word that would make your grandma flip her lid? ( Don't know your family values, but if a word you say causes your parents to scold you, maybe you should consider that "swearing"?)

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
anecorbie on Jan 27, 2021 wrote:
Any word that would make your grandma flip her lid? ( Don't know your family values, but if a word you say causes your parents to scold you, maybe you should consider that "swearing"?)
Yeah but the point is I dont know if you consider everything rude a swear or not but I know a lot of rude things and I am young. And about the family thing, the way you say is making only some insults rude, some insults HALF a swear and most like you-should-not-say-it-but-its-ok words.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
the OPs original concerns are addressed if they report the infraction and then change realms. The rest of this is simply a desire for control and revenge. Report them, move on, and it go; your experience in-game will considrably improve.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Jan 29, 2021 wrote:
Yeah but the point is I dont know if you consider everything rude a swear or not but I know a lot of rude things and I am young. And about the family thing, the way you say is making only some insults rude, some insults HALF a swear and most like you-should-not-say-it-but-its-ok words.
A wall is only as strong as it's weakest link.

KingsIsle is the standard. If they deem it inappropriate it will be filtered.

I feel like they err on the side of caution. Which I support.

There are synonyms and alternative ways of saying almost everything.

i.e.

Ouch, Ow, that hurt, I sustained an injury and the pain and agony consumes my soul.

All viable ways to let someone know that something caused you discomfort right?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I would like to share an experience I had earlier to explain why I think improvements to Kingsisle's reporting system are necessary.

Earlier today, I was doing a fight against Uwe in Team Up when I came across a pair of unpleasant players. They did generally rude things; timer-stalling the battle, and continually belittling my gear and contributions to the battle. Overall rude and insensitive comments; promptly reported, my first one in a long time.

I'm not saying this in an attempt to garner pity, rather I want to use this as an example. My concern is that these kinds of bullies are more present then they ought to be, and that a disturbing amount of players are violating the Terms of Service. On that note, I am grateful for everyone's suggestions, and honestly didn't expect this thread to get as many replies as it did.

If anyone still has any suggestions, it would be delightful to hear them. My concern at the moment is about players with a VPN; how do you block an offender that can change their IP? I would be grateful for any ideas.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Yeah some people said they would curse every time they fizzle just for the sake of cursing. And since some people like this game for having the storyline feature, different schools, worlds and spell animations. They dont like that there is a lot of moderation, and not only for cursing, just in general. Like if you are familiar with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, there is a character called Jotaro, many games filter that, but allow, Jo ta ro. Thats why I want low filter realms, and i dont get whats so bad about them, they make the people who like everything in the game except the moderation and makes the people who want the moderation and reporting system going strong and not allowing anything abusive. I know realms are big and its hard to add more, if there was just one low filter realm, it would be great.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Lookit Light on Feb 3, 2021 wrote:
I would like to share an experience I had earlier to explain why I think improvements to Kingsisle's reporting system are necessary.

Earlier today, I was doing a fight against Uwe in Team Up when I came across a pair of unpleasant players. They did generally rude things; timer-stalling the battle, and continually belittling my gear and contributions to the battle. Overall rude and insensitive comments; promptly reported, my first one in a long time.

I'm not saying this in an attempt to garner pity, rather I want to use this as an example. My concern is that these kinds of bullies are more present then they ought to be, and that a disturbing amount of players are violating the Terms of Service. On that note, I am grateful for everyone's suggestions, and honestly didn't expect this thread to get as many replies as it did.

If anyone still has any suggestions, it would be delightful to hear them. My concern at the moment is about players with a VPN; how do you block an offender that can change their IP? I would be grateful for any ideas.
I dont know much about the internet to give any good ideas but if we could put all abusers, bullies, etc in one realm and add all these great ideas, that we have so far, in the rest of the realms, so bullies and abusers cant bully any one who doesn't want to get bullied.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
I posted the KI standards for behavior that should be reported.

Lookit Light, which of these standards did your tormenters violate?

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 4, 2021 wrote:
Yeah some people said they would curse every time they fizzle just for the sake of cursing. And since some people like this game for having the storyline feature, different schools, worlds and spell animations. They dont like that there is a lot of moderation, and not only for cursing, just in general. Like if you are familiar with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, there is a character called Jotaro, many games filter that, but allow, Jo ta ro. Thats why I want low filter realms, and i dont get whats so bad about them, they make the people who like everything in the game except the moderation and makes the people who want the moderation and reporting system going strong and not allowing anything abusive. I know realms are big and its hard to add more, if there was just one low filter realm, it would be great.
Sorry it is a bit confusing to read. I am just saying in the last 2-3 sentences that everyone would be happy.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
ChicoValerian on Feb 5, 2021 wrote:
I posted the KI standards for behavior that should be reported.

Lookit Light, which of these standards did your tormenters violate?
Violation of the Terms of Use through knowingly and blatantly insulting myself and another player. They called myself and my other teammate bad (In their words) with the intent to insult us and used verbal abuse to suggest that we were incompetent on inferior to them. I wish to not discuss this further, as despite the example my own experience is not what I am concerned about with this post (rather, it is of of younger or less prepared players), and I trust Customer Support to take the actions they deem appropriate.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009

Is being unsportsman like against the ToS though?

I agree that there should be some way to blacklist the player. I've had similar issues with people in the past and also recently in the Beastmoon events.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
In case you need to read the standards for reporting: https://www.wizard101.com/game/help-faq

the fourth section is Wizard 101 sanction questions.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012

Lookit Lite, all you needed to do was click "ignore" and your problem would have been solved. There was no need to give a false report (and it was false as the two trolls didn't violate the ToS).
I have experienced this a few times (Tower of Moo Manchu) and the best way to deal with these bullies is to ignore or leave them to finish the dungeon on their own.
Being rude and insensitive or making fun of your gear isn't a good enough reason to report.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Allow me to briefly summarize some of what everyone has said so far:

Gabriel Storm suggested improving how players can report by adding boxes containing various common offenses that can be checked to provide more detail. These can be included alongside a player's written report to ensure their purpose is clear.

Tanner Silver suggested improving how players can report by having the option to report players discretely. This would mean that they wouldn't get a notification saying that they have been reported, in order to prevent further drama.

The idea of the temporary "Rattlebones block" has stirred a variety of responses. Some are for it, some dislike it, and some want different criteria. Given the differences of opinion, it can be reasonable to say that a final conclusion is as of yet undecided.

People have suggested various methods of punishing violators or keeping them out of the game. There are simply too many thoughts to summarize them all in a few paragraphs, but all of your thoughts are appreciated.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
I have an idea, add player blocking. So if a player is typing something in the chat that is rude or that you don't like you can just block them. I was thinking of clicking them and seeing like the options and one of them is block or if the player is moving around to much you could just read there name and type a command, like, /block Alex_Dragonbreath or whatever, and he will be blocked. Also for friend chat can there be like a special thing were if your friend accepts the thing, you can chat with your friend with little filters because if there are only 2 people who are both fine with little moderation.

I know that only deals with chat. You could also add the ability to kick people from dungeons. I know this could lead into another type of abuse but thats just a suggestion.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Coyle IceBalanceSt... on Feb 8, 2021 wrote:
I have an idea, add player blocking. So if a player is typing something in the chat that is rude or that you don't like you can just block them. I was thinking of clicking them and seeing like the options and one of them is block or if the player is moving around to much you could just read there name and type a command, like, /block Alex_Dragonbreath or whatever, and he will be blocked. Also for friend chat can there be like a special thing were if your friend accepts the thing, you can chat with your friend with little filters because if there are only 2 people who are both fine with little moderation.

I know that only deals with chat. You could also add the ability to kick people from dungeons. I know this could lead into another type of abuse but thats just a suggestion.
A similar system actually already exists in the game. If you click on another player, you have the option to "ignore" them, which results in you no longer receiving chat or messages from them for any reason. Very good idea though.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
anecorbie on Feb 8, 2021 wrote:
Lookit Lite, all you needed to do was click "ignore" and your problem would have been solved. There was no need to give a false report (and it was false as the two trolls didn't violate the ToS).
I have experienced this a few times (Tower of Moo Manchu) and the best way to deal with these bullies is to ignore or leave them to finish the dungeon on their own.
Being rude and insensitive or making fun of your gear isn't a good enough reason to report.
Thank you for your thoughts on the matter. I appreciate your insight.

My experience was something that I wish to use as an example of an issue that needs to be addressed. In the larger scale of things, it is irrelevant compared to more severe issues against children and those less mentally equipped to deal with serious issues.

On that note, I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. I'm well aware that this is a difficult subject to address and that there is a difference in opinion, but I'm sure everyone had some spectacular ideas.

I feel that my post has reached the conclusion of its discussion. I would like to request that it be closed so that KI can properly debate among themselves the concepts that have been said here.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
A few weeks ago, I was accused of bullying because a player did not like a high-level wizard teaming up in lower level dungeons. I explained that team-up is for everyone, and that I would never, and have never, engaged in bullying. I am fairly certain if I had not nipped this in the bud immediately, I would have been falsely reported.

There is a marked difference between insulting someone's pet/gear/hairstyle/etc. and abuse. I've had players call my wizard ugly, to which I always respond "Thanks!", and while they're trying to figure that out, I click ignore. I don't report them, because behaving like a petulant toddler does not violate TOS.

However, I have had someone threaten to harm me in real life, had someone try to convince me to give them my password, and watched with horror as several male wizards went around the chat filter to type some of the most offensive things I've ever seen to a female wizard in the PvP lobby. All of that is reportable. And if KI wants to create a safe environment, as they claim, those reports must be taken seriously.

Perhaps the new owners will hire more staff to go through reports and check chat logs. Perhaps we will have actual hall monitors whose sole job it is to make certain Wizard is free from harassment and abuse.

What I would suggest is if you are in a situation you feel is unsafe and/or abusive, take screenshots. Have evidence of the abuse and harassment before you report, so if your report is not addressed, you can send those screenshots to KI. And if someone is engaging in illegal behavior (threats of harm, doxing, predatory language or actions), those screenshots can also be given to law enforcement.

Our society puts the onus on victims. This is wrong, and yet, it is a fact. You can look through posts about bullying and harassment on this very website and find responses telling victims it's up to them to switch realms, or to stop being so sensitive.

Given that we live in a world where bullies are rewarded in real life for their behavior, none of this is going to change anytime soon. But putting longtime players great records and no (or less than 5 over 10 years) reports against them in the game as monitors would help. Make sure these players are adults, and give them very specific rules and guidelines. Give them a badge, so if someone is being harassed, bullied, or victimized by a predator, that player can go to the hall monitor for help. Having solutions available in real time would be extremely beneficial for everyone.

There's no quick fix for any of this. People who are unhappy with their lives take that out on others, especially online, where they can be anonymous. Predators lurk in games like Wiz, hoping to find that one kid who's unaware of the dangers posed by someone asking their age, real name, and typing "Want free crowns? Do you have TOR?" People who log on just to try and make other people miserable abound in Wiz, and online in general. That's just the nature of the internet.

So play happy, play safe, take screenshots if you see something that sends up red flags, and hopefully, KI will eventually put a consistent system in place to make their games safer for all of us.

Delver
Sep 13, 2016
anecorbie on Feb 8, 2021 wrote:
Exactly, you cant just simply report people like that. In the commons people were just simply wanting to be mean to a person, calling his gear trash, telling him he cant even beat wizard city and know body reported anyone. Why? because roast battles are fun to watch and participate in.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013

We already have an ignore button for chat.
Vote-kick could be interesting. (personally I want that for Beastmoon, I shouldn't have to deal with someone who doesn't even bother reading the manual and sits in spawn for most of the game confused as to why they can't leave without picking a beast) I think that the best way to mitigate trolls who vote-kick innocents is to have a limited timeframe to execute the vote-kick until the feature is disabled. It would still be possible to troll but you'd have to wait until the timer expired to cause trouble. If someone is vote-kicked, another person should be pulled in from team-up.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Exactly, you cant just simply report people like that. In the commons people were just simply wanting to be mean to a person, calling his gear trash, telling him he cant even beat wizard city and know body reported anyone. Why? because roast battles are fun to watch and participate in.
This is part of the problem. "Roast battles" or people just having a laugh at another person's expense is not funny to those being ridiculed.

I do not see this as appropriate for a children's game. Find a more mature game if that's something you are looking for.