Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A suggested tweek for the Team Up Kiosk

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
This afternoon I logged on and none of my normal questing buddies were online. So I decided to go help some team through the kiosk. Two separate times when I got into the dungeon the people who had made the request were nowhere to be seen, so I exited.

No I realize that the timer preventing re-help is there to discourage trolls from "helping" and fleeing immediately.

However, is there any way to code the Kiosk so that if the requester has fled, the helpers don't get penalized?

I know I don't help much (only 40 teams since the kiosk went into place). But to have it happen twice in one day? Surely something can be done to fix this.

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Area51Alien on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:
This afternoon I logged on and none of my normal questing buddies were online. So I decided to go help some team through the kiosk. Two separate times when I got into the dungeon the people who had made the request were nowhere to be seen, so I exited.

No I realize that the timer preventing re-help is there to discourage trolls from "helping" and fleeing immediately.

However, is there any way to code the Kiosk so that if the requester has fled, the helpers don't get penalized?

I know I don't help much (only 40 teams since the kiosk went into place). But to have it happen twice in one day? Surely something can be done to fix this.

Steven Ghoststalker
How long did you wait inside the dungeon?

Sometimes it takes a while for someone to load and the requester is most likely to have to wait for loading because they may not have ever been inside before.

There have also been some small issues with lag/delays in the last few days, which has affected a lot of players and left them sitting in front of a loading screen for an unusually long time before it continues as normal.

I wonder if these things may have contributed to you not having the requester in the dungeon when you first ported in? If so, they didn't flee and will likely be feeling frustrated their loading screen was taking long enough team mates left before they entered.

I find it's worth waiting a little longer for the team to port in when helping via the kiosk.

I hope this is helpful

PS. Congratulations on reaching level 100!

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Penalizing anyone is the wrong approach. Instead, award permanent badges and mouse over identifiers that recognize a wizard's exploits showing how many times they've either fled a dungeon, abandoned, or helped a team. This way, penalizing players left in the lurch stops, and everyone gains better insight regarding the players they team with.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I still think that there should be better rewards for helping at higher level worlds. Everyone just does Wizard City-which is fine, but when you're trying to help and collect animus and there are two Storm Wizards that just throw a Tempest at anything that moves it makes it kind of hard. It also is kind of sad for Wizards who are like in Marleybone and up have to wait forever to have someone join only to have them leave team up as it's about to begin. I wonder if it would be possible to introduce more "factions" like there are in Mirage that have really good gear/items that are badge specific. So maybe there could be a Mooshu-dragon type pet that is purchasable after completing 1000 MS Team Up instances and the pet has a natural Mass Feint Talent. There would also be other Shopkeeps/Factions for each World and or Faction. I think that the having a Faction for each Qhat House is a good idea, but it should have something that is truly desirable in each faction. (i.e. Housing Items, I like them and I know there are others that do too, but for most "grinders" they need something that is worth it to be good at like PVP it seems is a better motivator. i.e. Loremaster has people grinding all the time so maybe if you complete the top badge for all Qhat Houses or something you can learn Qismah's Curse or Black Cat or Ice Cat or Storm Cat or something?) Maybe tie Animus hunting in there too because if there is a dungeon that has a lot of a particular enemy and you can use it to buy progress in the "faction" or something then that might be another way for people to be more involved?

Defender
Aug 03, 2015
Tylerwildpants on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:
Penalizing anyone is the wrong approach. Instead, award permanent badges and mouse over identifiers that recognize a wizard's exploits showing how many times they've either fled a dungeon, abandoned, or helped a team. This way, penalizing players left in the lurch stops, and everyone gains better insight regarding the players they team with.
First off, people will see this as bullying from KI by putting on a badge that you can't remove that would completely embarrass someone. Penalizing people is the right way to go about it but maybe not 10 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes.

Second off, people will think this is funny and purposely flee the dungeon just see who can get the most "you abandoned a team" score and thus, defeating the whole purpose of what you're suggesting.

My suggestion is to just make it a 5 minute punishment instead of 10 minutes.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:
How long did you wait inside the dungeon?

Sometimes it takes a while for someone to load and the requester is most likely to have to wait for loading because they may not have ever been inside before.

There have also been some small issues with lag/delays in the last few days, which has affected a lot of players and left them sitting in front of a loading screen for an unusually long time before it continues as normal.

I wonder if these things may have contributed to you not having the requester in the dungeon when you first ported in? If so, they didn't flee and will likely be feeling frustrated their loading screen was taking long enough team mates left before they entered.

I find it's worth waiting a little longer for the team to port in when helping via the kiosk.

I hope this is helpful

PS. Congratulations on reaching level 100!
I actually had thought about that. I am running wizards on a new computer and am downloading everything all over again. So it's not like I ported in and left immediately. The first was Sunken City. I walked around for a good 2-3 minutes calling "Hello" n one was there so I left.

The second was Sylvia Drake's Tomb, again same thing.

And I get why KI has the time out penalty in place. I just think that if I have volunteered to go in and the requester is gone, there should not be the Troll Time-out Penalty.

Thank you. 8-)

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Trigon101060 on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:
First off, people will see this as bullying from KI by putting on a badge that you can't remove that would completely embarrass someone. Penalizing people is the right way to go about it but maybe not 10 minutes. Maybe 5 minutes.

Second off, people will think this is funny and purposely flee the dungeon just see who can get the most "you abandoned a team" score and thus, defeating the whole purpose of what you're suggesting.

My suggestion is to just make it a 5 minute punishment instead of 10 minutes.
This is a fantastic! Flee a dungeon to earn a "You Abandoned a Team" Badge. Can you image folks doing this repeatedly to see who could get the most - Sign me up! Thanks for suggesting this!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Ok, this just happened to me today and I don't know if there's a fix for it or not.

Went and joined a team fighting Bristleback in Celestia. Four Wizards. For some reason the fight did not register my joining first round. Usually not a problem as it will add me in next round.

One of the Wizards cast the lighting bug spell first round. Killed everything. My wizard got no credit for the fight, no credit for the help, no loot. Most importantly I got socked with the time out penalty.

This time out penalty is REALLY starting to get on my nerves. This is three times (two different reasons) that I think the time out penalty should NOT have been instituted. Is there any kind of coding that will fix this?

Frustrated Wizard who really would like to help
S GS

Survivor
Jul 12, 2015
Area51Alien on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:

Steven Ghoststalker
I feel your pain. I'll be teaming up in Darkmoor & some person doing Aphrodite leaves. Some people leave if there aren't good enough people there too. If only there was a team up thing that lets them wait for say... 10 minutes and lets the other people actually doing the dungeon go "free of charge".

Survivor
Aug 17, 2010
I can't *stand* the team up timer. I have a max storm. It's really my only wizard because I find starting all over frustrating. So to kill time until new material comes out, I either team up or badge farm.

This means I spend a LOT of time in team up (currently 645/1000). I learned early on not to rush into the circle because load times are different for everyone. But I can't even count the number of times I've watched the person who asked for help turn around and walk out. Then I'm left with yet another cool-down timer and a bad mood.

I really wish there were some way to at least penalize the people who leave, or maybe just not punish the helpers who show up. I've taken to finishing the dungeon whether the person shows up or not, because at least it gives me something to do while the timer counts down. My latest thing is seeing if I can solo one-in-a-million while I wait. But even if I kill the time, I still don't get credit for it.

Lately I find myself spending more time badge farming than teaming up. I've had some bad luck with some players smack talking when they do show up lately, and it takes the wind out of my sails.

It's irritated me enough that for the first time in 7 years I actually created a forum account to complain about it. *yay first post!*

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
mistress mugwai on Jul 4, 2018 wrote:
I can't *stand* the team up timer. I have a max storm. It's really my only wizard because I find starting all over frustrating. So to kill time until new material comes out, I either team up or badge farm.

This means I spend a LOT of time in team up (currently 645/1000). I learned early on not to rush into the circle because load times are different for everyone. But I can't even count the number of times I've watched the person who asked for help turn around and walk out. Then I'm left with yet another cool-down timer and a bad mood.

I really wish there were some way to at least penalize the people who leave, or maybe just not punish the helpers who show up. I've taken to finishing the dungeon whether the person shows up or not, because at least it gives me something to do while the timer counts down. My latest thing is seeing if I can solo one-in-a-million while I wait. But even if I kill the time, I still don't get credit for it.

Lately I find myself spending more time badge farming than teaming up. I've had some bad luck with some players smack talking when they do show up lately, and it takes the wind out of my sails.

It's irritated me enough that for the first time in 7 years I actually created a forum account to complain about it. *yay first post!*
I hear you. If you're Storm I recommend helping out in like Krok-Mooshu or higher if you can still easily one hit kill. Generally speaking they are less likely to leave because they need it for a quest. I also try and collect animus for something different to do.