Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do you think people take mob fights too seriously?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 09, 2016
I was questing earlier and I saw some people already fighting a mob I needed to fight so I joined their fight and I got insulted a lot. I was told that I was rude, disrespectful and that in the future I need to ask before I join.

Isn't that a little too serious? I mean you really expect me to stop and ask every single person before I join a fight? This is a free world and that takes up time anyways. It's not like I got them killed or left the fight after adding a mob.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Kuranado, you did nothing wrong. Some people take fights too seriously and some don't. Joining battles is part of the game but there are those who don't like others join their battle for various reasons. It's better to ask before you join unless you are question with someone.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Kuranado on Jun 22, 2018 wrote:
I was questing earlier and I saw some people already fighting a mob I needed to fight so I joined their fight and I got insulted a lot. I was told that I was rude, disrespectful and that in the future I need to ask before I join.

Isn't that a little too serious? I mean you really expect me to stop and ask every single person before I join a fight? This is a free world and that takes up time anyways. It's not like I got them killed or left the fight after adding a mob.
Yeah you're correct, that mob fight was taken waaaay too seriously. This game is an mmo and it should be expected to have another person join your battle. Yes, it is frustrating to have someone join at the last second but this newcomer can kill the mob if you have run out of cards. These people were rude and disresepectful by the way they acted. A majority of the time it means they either need help or like doing mob battles with other people. In the future I think people should be more open to people joining their battles and instead of calling them rude should say hello or inform them on the current status of battle.

Survivor
Jul 16, 2010
For a lot of people, they want to get the mob fight over with asap, since it's usually a very minor fight. So when someone enters and adds another mob, that's more time it takes; for some, wastes, to finish the battle. That's why for most, it's common courtesy to ask before joining unless it's the very beginning of the battle.

Now, that doesn't excuse them from snapping at you. Getting insulted is never fun, and they should've realized there are people who don't ask but are still there to help. I believe they should've been nicer reminding/telling you about it.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Kuranado on Jun 22, 2018 wrote:

Perhaps these folks have been interrupted once too many times.

There are trolls in W101 who thrive on joining a fight just to add another mob for people to fight. Had this happen to me last week while helping my daughter in Avalon.

Also, some folks might be trying for Monsterology and and added wizard can screw up the ability to collect the animus.

Now, THAT said, if the aforementioned wizards were being rude and insulting then they were in the wrong.

Yes, this is an MMO and folks should expect that random folks will join their battles. However, common courtesy makes it polite to ask before running headlong into the battle.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Sep 11, 2010
You weren't in the wrong. It's a public space. Sure, it can't hurt to ask; but if you don't, you still aren't in the wrong. If they want to have privacy then they should move to a quieter realm. Just click ignore and they won't be able to harass you.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Let me offer a different perspective on this situation, please.

It is inconsiderate to join a mob fight that is in progress without asking the folks who are in the battle.
Three words are enough: "May I join?" or four, "May I please join?"

Almost invariably when you do this, they will reply, "Sure" or "NP"

If you treat them with respect, they will treat you with respect. If you are rude to them, they will feel free to be rude to you.

Furthermore, instead of trying to control what other people do, you can control what you do. Other people are sometimes rude. But you don't have to be.

I see this all the time on the boards, people who want others to conform to their high expectations. The way to do that is to set an example for them to follow.

It is polite to ask. Be polite. Or accept the consequences of your behavior.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Being rude is unacceptable. No one should insult or harass another player for joining a street battle in an MMO. Yes, it is a public space. That includes both crowded and "perfect" realms.

That said....

As you can see from the various posts on this thread, not everyone agrees about whether it's okay to jump into other people's street battles or better to ask permission first. So, we as players have two choices. (Well, actually, we have three - one is a compromise of sorts.)

1) Just jump in. Occasionally you'll meet with someone who gets mad at you, but that's a risk you're willing to live with in order to speed up your own questing. That grouchy wizard might be insulting or flee, leaving you with all the mobs to handle on your own. If that doesn't bother you, then jump away.

2) Always pause a second to ask if you can join or to offer help. People who don't want you there will say so, and then you can avoid a nasty interaction altogether. Or, if they don't mind some help they'll say so and you might even make a new friend or questing buddy.

3) Just jump in, but then apologize for "getting pulled." (You see, sometimes that happens with mob battles. We'll be zooming along when suddenly it seems like a mob grabs us out of nowhere and throws us into an ongoing battle. It's completely unintended.) The beauty of this "compromise" is, the other player can't tell that we're sort of fudging the way we got there. As long as you say you're sorry and hold up your end of the battle, most wizards will forgive you and carry on.

As for me, I usually ask first. I'd rather avoid grouchy wizards.

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
We all make up our own 'rules' and boundaries in relation to what we are comfortable with or what we want, be it from the game in general, the specific battle/quest or things irl. Some are seen as social norms which most people in most situations agree on; others are personal preference which may or may not apply to others.

It is OUR responsibility to communicate our personal preferences or adapt to accommodate them. We can not expect everyone around us to mind-read and know a personal preference.

Even with social norms we sometimes find ourselves having to politely ask someone to respect a boundary we had expected them to eg Please don't sit so close it makes me uncomfortable.

Whether it is busy or quiet, if I am walking along a street and feel uncomfortable near someone it's on me to move away. We don't expect other people not to wait at a crossing or cross the road with us just because we were the one who pressed the button to instigate the lights changing.

The more I hear about wizards being made to feel like they've done something wrong, spoken to in a nasty way and made to feel bad for joining a street battle, the more I feel the onus is NOT on the joiner but on the person who wants to fight alone in a public street. Why expect others to ask permission to join a battle the actual rules allow them to join? Maybe those who want to be in solo mob battles should be expected to repeatedly say "Please do not join this fight" instead.

Yes, some people take it far too seriously and they don't have the right to be unkind or bully others for joining. I don't like the assumption that someone joining is rude. Surely the only evidence of being a rude person is the one being nasty because someone joined, not the one who thought it would be fun?

Sorry this happened to you! You're always welcome to jump in to any of my battles!

Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
Though i've never outright insulted anyone for doing this before, i've certainly thought it. It's normally considered polite to ask people if they appear to be far into the battle. For example: if somebody has a large amount of pips, or a large number of blades on them, you should ask incase they are about to kill. It's incredibly annoying to have someone join a battle right as the enemies died, causing another enemy to join. You could also cause someone to die by doing this. If they are at low health, by extending the battle, you could end up killing them. Though freaking out is overreacting, it was also rude on your part for not asking. On the other hand, if you just saw them start the battle, or they had no way to kill, then it's perfectly fine to join without asking. If they insult you in that situation, then they're just nasty people.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
I really dont understand why asking to join a battle that is already in play is considered not a fair thing to do....I also hear a lot of "I have a right" to jump in....I say no, you have the OPTION to jump in....and therefore I have the OPTION of saying "ask first next time"......I have never jumped into a active battle...but...yes, I have had on more than one occasion a wizard will be in the background and as soon as I have killed the first monster which would leave me just one to go...enter the background wizard...and enter one more monster that appears!....Bad experiences do make some tired of "battle hoppers", as I call them.....and last but not least, lets level the field here....we were not there, maybe the players were not as nasty as proclaimed..
....be nice and respect other players.