Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

More Spell Diversity

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jun 26, 2009
I personally feel like there are too few spells in the game, for each school. Is it possible to have more then just one attack spell every update?

The linear spell progression needs a change. Maybe a spell tree would make it seem like I'm not a carbon copy of every other wizard of the same school. For instance, when we come to the level when we are able to acquire a new spell maybe give a choice of spells, but we can only have one of them. This way when you see another wizard of the same school you might not be able to cast the exact same spells.

Spell acquisition does not have to be limited to just leveling. Say you are the type of player that likes to finish ALL your quests. Maybe once a wizard completes every single quest he/she can be flagged for a quest to gain a spell that you can only get from doing every quest currently available.

In conclusion, making more spells give you more options to pursue different game mechanics you'd like to implement and gives us a more diverse deck.

PS. Why does Mana Burn take pips and not mana? Why do all attacks focus on depleting health but not mana? Why are there no spells that convert mana into health? Or health to mana? Why aren't you using the tons of mana we have in battles for other effects? We use so little of it but we have so much of it, seems like a waste.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I don't mind how king isle makes there skills other then the fact they forgot the point players play wizard101. The cards they make would feel more variant if they kept the idea each school has it own purpose and that the difference is not meant to be in animation but should stay personal to each class spec. Like ice should be pathetic weak with high armour and health, while storm should have insane damage and low health and low armour (bellow 2000 range)

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I would find myself on the fence about multiple spell choices and only getting to choose one. It's an interesting wrinkle, but I don't know how well that would sit with me if it was permanent and later I wished I'd picked one of the others.

Spell diversity used to appeal to me in the first few years I played this game because it was fun to see something new. But now I have so many spells that I honestly don't even want any more.

Instead of new spells, at least for a little while I'd rather see progression come in the way of increasing base stats like critical, crit block, armor pierce, and so on. Maybe some sort of system where you accumulate skill points that you can apply to whichever skill you want to advance. That would really give people an opportunity to have a diverse and unique wizard build.

I agree on the Mana thing. That's one of the problems with the spells. They've kind of hit a ceiling with pip/Mana costs, so it's not like early in the game where you could run out of Mana if you didn't replenish it between battles. I understand that we don't have Mana wisps floating in battle areas anymore like we used to up to Marleybone, and I imagine that has something to do with it. But still, the excess extremely overcompensates for the diminished accessibility to Mana wisps. I think finding alternative ways to use it would be a worthwhile endeavour. I don't really have any solid ideas on what could be done though.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
you suggestions have a VERY diablo feel to them, which to me isn't an issue.

mana burn SHOULD do something with mana and not pips, or be renamed "pip burn".

Having a choice of what spells to get is an interesting take, and I wouldnt have a problem with it, so long as it wasn't the regular thing. You pointed out a scenario where it was a reward for completing the whole area, and that method would be fine by me. Ages ago I had an idea similar to this. It's just an extra reward and NOT the normal spell progression. It's a bonus free spell that you can choose, or hold off on till later (it would always have been available until you chose, and then you'd be locked into it for the life of the character). In the vein of "too many of the same spell", I will admit there are a lot of similar spells just morphed into different schools, however, there are a lot of people who like those kinds of spells. 2 perfect examples are the various Forest lord incarnations as well as the 5 boxes golem spells.

As far as stat progression comes in, it doesnt have to be an either or. Why cant we get a stat progression that happens on the 10's and have spells on the 8's? Why does it have to be either or? Remember, all of these things are simply random, and while many games use certain specific commonalities, there is no reason anybody actually has to use them, especially when they never interact with each other. Even in IRC where things are MUCH more interactive, there is (or at least was when I used to do it) a slew of variables networks could use even though most people used the same one or two clients