Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Screen Resolution / Windowed Out Mode

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 25, 2016
Yesterday, before the big update, all of the computers I have Wizard101 playing on, worked just peachy fine. Today, I logged in, from all of them, and my windowed mode is not working correctly.

I have four systems I have Wizard101 loaded on. Two of my systems use double monitors which have the "extend these displays" active on; these have worked totally correctly since I started playing a few months back. The other two systems I use in regular non-windowed mode and are currently working fine.

I have notified tech support and the first response I got was a standard "you can change your resolution by going to the options menu" and such. The second was, "we have tested this extensively on our end, and the resolution settings are working exactly as they were before. You will need to continue to adjust your in-game resolution, and possibly your monitor's resolution to find something that works for you. If all else fails, we suggest not playing in windowed mode."

When I first turned the game on this morning, my resolution was a windowed mode of 800x600. I have never, ever, had any of my monitors adjusted to this setting. This tells me that something was reset within the game itself.

Considering the only thing that has changed between yesterday's game play and today's trying to play, was Wizard101's huge update, and given that I've dealt with bugs and tech support for gaming for years as well as the above, I'm pretty sure this is a coding error somewhere on their side. However, I'm in the minority it seems.

If you are having the same issues I am, please chat with tech support to make them aware of this problem. If you are having this issue and you've found a fix or work-around for it, please pass that on so that I can fix whatever I need to.

Thanks so very much!

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Can you share more information about your PC and operating system?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
jadvisioness8 on Dec 1, 2016 wrote:
Yesterday, before the big update, all of the computers I have Wizard101 playing on, worked just peachy fine. Today, I logged in, from all of them, and my windowed mode is not working correctly.

I have four systems I have Wizard101 loaded on. Two of my systems use double monitors which have the "extend these displays" active on; these have worked totally correctly since I started playing a few months back. The other two systems I use in regular non-windowed mode and are currently working fine.

I have notified tech support and the first response I got was a standard "you can change your resolution by going to the options menu" and such. The second was, "we have tested this extensively on our end, and the resolution settings are working exactly as they were before. You will need to continue to adjust your in-game resolution, and possibly your monitor's resolution to find something that works for you. If all else fails, we suggest not playing in windowed mode."

When I first turned the game on this morning, my resolution was a windowed mode of 800x600. I have never, ever, had any of my monitors adjusted to this setting. This tells me that something was reset within the game itself.

Considering the only thing that has changed between yesterday's game play and today's trying to play, was Wizard101's huge update, and given that I've dealt with bugs and tech support for gaming for years as well as the above, I'm pretty sure this is a coding error somewhere on their side. However, I'm in the minority it seems.

If you are having the same issues I am, please chat with tech support to make them aware of this problem. If you are having this issue and you've found a fix or work-around for it, please pass that on so that I can fix whatever I need to.

Thanks so very much!
I am running XP and when I logged in yesterday, my resolution in the game had reverted to 800x600 but I reset that in the game options for what I normally run. You should be able to reset your resolution as well.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2016
Dworgyn on Dec 1, 2016 wrote:
Can you share more information about your PC and operating system?
1) HP Satellite L55-A5226:
Intel i5, 1.80 GHz
6GB
Windows 7
64-bit OS
Monitor is an Element HDTV HDMI
Screen resolution 1366x768
(Play windowed out)

2) HP Elitebook-2740P
Intel i5, 2.67 GHz
8GB
Windows 7
64-bit OS
Monitor is a Sanyo LED HDMI
Screen resolution 1360x768
(Play windowed out)

3) HP Elitebook-2760P
Intel i5 2.60 GHz
4GB
Windows 7
64-bit OS
Screen resolution 1280x800
(Non-windowed, no external screen)

4) HP Pavilion dv9000 (widescreen/17 inch)
AMD Turion 64 1.90 GHz
4GB
Windows 7
64-bit OS
Screen resolution 1440x900
(Non-windowed, no external screen)
I don't play on this computer because it seems to lag excessively, I attribute this to lacking processor power, but I'm including so you have the information.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2016
Just finished logging in this morning on both computers I use windowed mode in and, both computers opened the game in 800x600 once again, just like yesterday. However, unlike yesterday, I was able to put them back to the appropriate choices for each computer and viola, all fixed.

There was a larger than normal patch/update, so I can only assume that something was either rolled back or fixed. Whichever it was, the issue seems to have been fixed :D

So, yay :)

Thanks so much for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Survivor
Aug 25, 2016
DragonLady1818 on Dec 1, 2016 wrote:
I am running XP and when I logged in yesterday, my resolution in the game had reverted to 800x600 but I reset that in the game options for what I normally run. You should be able to reset your resolution as well.
Thanks for the info, DragonLady1818. However, I tried that several times but the resolutions I needed were not in the options menu or they did not work appropriately for my screens. When I logged in on December first, the day I was able to play, the resolutions I needed were either back in the options menu or worked correctly.

Don't ask LOL. Gotta love technology :)

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Every time they do a huge update like adding a new world this happens. It's extremely annoying. I don't understand why the resolution should change, but it does. I had to go through a bunch to get it correct, but finally got it back where it should have been in the first place.

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
LOL "had to go thru a bunch" to get it back yeah click one button and hit enter man so hard...please people really?