Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stuck with an idiot

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Yesterday I entered Big Ben for the big Meowearity fight with a level 31 life wizard. This is the fifth character I've put through Marleybone and I'm quite familiar with the instance. While I thought I could solo Ben Big, it would be pretty slow, and besides maybe I can help someone else, so I click team up.

Within a minute, the teamup icon starts counting down a time, I check and its a fire wizard, I think OK, cool, a hammer to go with my life wizard.

I should have known better.

We start fighting, and it quickly becomes apparent level 50 Fireboy is a clueless noob. Apparently he has elixered up to level 50 and has no idea how to play the game. Nevertheless, on the first few floors he is helpful, as he splits the incoming damage. He loves the polymorph gobbler spell and seems to throw it as soon as he can draw it, the gobbler spell list has a heal that he uses a lot to keep himself healthy so I don't have to constantly heal him.

Then we get to Big Ben floor eight, the puzzle room with the floor plates. Fireboy keeps running around in circles, randomly tripping plates. He has no clue how the puzzle works. Of course he only has menu chat. I try over and over to enter the Ice/Bird/Dog/Moon sequence that will solve the puzzle, but he keeps running around in circles randomly hitting plates so I can't complete the sequence. I spam "Wait !" from menu chat at him trying to get him to stand still for a minute, but he ignores it.

I quickly developed the urge to strangle the idiot. I don't think I've ever been so irritated at another gamer in my life. I considered fleeing and starting over alone, but I hated to waste the time I'd spent so far. I ran down to a lower floor and started spinning in place, and walked away from my computer to make a phone call not related to the game. When I came back, Fireboy seemed to be gone, Hooray! I went back to floor eight, entered the correct sequence by running over the floor plates, ran over to the lever -- and just before I could pull it, hear another floor plate being triggered. Of course the lever doesn't work, Fireboy is back, running his random circles.

If I could have thrown a real life fireball spell I swear he'd be nothing but a smoking grease spot. I ran down three levels, started spinning again, and walked away to eat lunch.

This time when I came back, he was gone long enough I finally got the puzzle solved. He did pop up shortly after, but the rest of the tower was just fighting, he went back to doing his polymorph gobbler thing, we got through the fights, up to floor 15, and finished Big Ben pretty quickly. He even gave me a menu chat "thank you" when we were done.

What do other people do when they get stuck with idiots like this? Just always assume a level 50 in a teamup is a clueless elixer user and cancel teamup or flee?

I really wish menu chat had some specific way to comment "hold still and let me solve the puzzle".

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
If there's a next time, try using the "Stop That" under the Stinky menu.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
It is highly likely you got trolled. Even a level 50 menu chat that still needs to complete Big Ben will usually want to hit or something.

Spending several minutes lying in wait for you to return to the instance, and THEN resuming stepping on plates as soon as you attempt the puzzle, that's deliberate and malicious.

If I find myself stuck in a dungeon with someone who is obviously wasting time and messing up the dungeon for others, I'll warn them I need to go if they aren't serious, and if it continues, I do actually leave.

Don't accuse or call names or argue. Just say let's move on or I need to go. You can then go on to help others instead of giving the troll what he wants - attention.

Survivor
May 26, 2016
Ugh. I hate it when this happens! Once I was just questing happily in Zafaria and i see this guy and he looked like he needed help so i said do you need any help? He said yes. So we were in battle and i look at his gear. I find level 10 gear on a level like 60 something player! So i said (this might be a bit rude of meh). you should get better gear. He said whats gear? I said its the stuff your wearing like in the bazaar! Then he said whats the bazaar? Then i said your kidding me right? Then he points out he does know the bazaar. i said why didnt you say that before! Then he said he has to go brush his teeth and i was thinking, why do i need to know that? So yah there are some people out there who dont learn the game properly.

Destiny Sc

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
One time I was doing the Big Ben with some clueless person and of course clueless people cause death. So when I get back to the last battle, Meowiarty is dead and I asked him, "Why did you kill him?" Of course the idiot says, "If you kill the last minion you get credit." Funny thing is I told him not to kill Meowiarty. Man was that guy dumb, sometimes people are so clueless it makes me so angry. I also hate it when you use the team up button and you are playing as a hitter and the other is a tank and then they try to get you to go in first. Normally I just leave and solo the boss.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
DanTheTerrible on Oct 13, 2016 wrote:
Yesterday I entered Big Ben for the big Meowearity fight with a level 31 life wizard. This is the fifth character I've put through Marleybone and I'm quite familiar with the instance. While I thought I could solo Ben Big, it would be pretty slow, and besides maybe I can help someone else, so I click team up.

Within a minute, the teamup icon starts counting down a time, I check and its a fire wizard, I think OK, cool, a hammer to go with my life wizard.

I should have known better.

We start fighting, and it quickly becomes apparent level 50 Fireboy is a clueless noob. Apparently he has elixered up to level 50 and has no idea how to play the game. Nevertheless, on the first few floors he is helpful, as he splits the incoming damage. He loves the polymorph gobbler spell and seems to throw it as soon as he can draw it, the gobbler spell list has a heal that he uses a lot to keep himself healthy so I don't have to constantly heal him.

Then we get to Big Ben floor eight, the puzzle room with the floor plates. Fireboy keeps running around in circles, randomly tripping plates. He has no clue how the puzzle works. Of course he only has menu chat. I try over and over to enter the Ice/Bird/Dog/Moon sequence that will solve the puzzle, but he keeps running around in circles randomly hitting plates so I can't complete the sequence. I spam "Wait !" from menu chat at him trying to get him to stand still for a minute, but he ignores it.

I quickly developed the urge to strangle the idiot. I don't think I've ever been so irritated at another gamer in my life. I considered fleeing and starting over alone, but I hated to waste the time I'd spent so far. I ran down to a lower floor and started spinning in place, and walked away from my computer to make a phone call not related to the game. When I came back, Fireboy seemed to be gone, Hooray! I went back to floor eight, entered the correct sequence by running over the floor plates, ran over to the lever -- and just before I could pull it, hear another floor plate being triggered. Of course the lever doesn't work, Fireboy is back, running his random circles.

If I could have thrown a real life fireball spell I swear he'd be nothing but a smoking grease spot. I ran down three levels, started spinning again, and walked away to eat lunch.

This time when I came back, he was gone long enough I finally got the puzzle solved. He did pop up shortly after, but the rest of the tower was just fighting, he went back to doing his polymorph gobbler thing, we got through the fights, up to floor 15, and finished Big Ben pretty quickly. He even gave me a menu chat "thank you" when we were done.

What do other people do when they get stuck with idiots like this? Just always assume a level 50 in a teamup is a clueless elixer user and cancel teamup or flee?

I really wish menu chat had some specific way to comment "hold still and let me solve the puzzle".
Sadly, if I'm doing a hard dungeon, i don't enter it with menu chat people. I hate the menu chat system, for lots of reasons, mostly because it makes it impossible to communicate with others. I've tried playing characters that only had menu chat just to see what it was like and it's horrible. The game is 1000% harder than without it.

And while I understand KI's reason for it, it's a very bad thing and needs to go away.

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
crystalwizard12345... on Oct 15, 2016 wrote:
Sadly, if I'm doing a hard dungeon, i don't enter it with menu chat people. I hate the menu chat system, for lots of reasons, mostly because it makes it impossible to communicate with others. I've tried playing characters that only had menu chat just to see what it was like and it's horrible. The game is 1000% harder than without it.

And while I understand KI's reason for it, it's a very bad thing and needs to go away.
The chat system in general for Wizard101 has always struck me as the most annoying part of the game. Even with text chat the endless convolutions you have to go through to communicate numbers is incredibly irritating. Discussing tactics with other players without giving numbers is unreasonably difficult. This is particularly true since so many of the game's tougher bosses have cheats, which are very difficult to explain to others through the game's chat system.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
crystalwizard12345... on Oct 15, 2016 wrote:

They cannot get rid of the menu chat option because little kids who play this game might get into a fight and won't know what's happening or possibly give private information out going around the chat filter. It really isn't safe for these kids and if you are saying "Why not the parent teach them not to do this?" kids are kids and they will always do this kind of stuff.

Squire
Jul 18, 2009
Definitely just some kid messing around and not taking it seriously. He couldn't have been clueless because you have to have reached 50 on some other wizard before you can use the elixir. I've had players like this in the past and the best option is really just to flee and try again, even if you've made a lot of progress.