Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Loremaster

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 02, 2012
I have fought and won loremaster over 50 times, but i still don't have a single spell from her! Did it take this long for anyone else?

Andrea DragonTamer
level 68 ,, , &

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
I hear that the drop rate on spells is about .1%, so to get a specific spell you would need to fight her, on average, about 1000 times.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2011
It might take a lot longer to get it. I know people worked for months farming her and hardly got any spells. And of course there are people that get in a day so it is totally up to luck.
Now on my balance wiz I got really tired and bored of farming her so I just crafted it (which ain't easy), but you have to be level 90+ (suggested).
I would suggest to farm lore may be up to 3 hours a day if possible if you don't get anything just have fun saving the spiral (questing) and may be craft it later on. It is a great pvp spell and it is fun to use it at max level.

Thank you

Survivor
Jul 03, 2012
Yes. It is a random drop you see, my friend and i farmed,(i had already farmed forever) and she got one first!
Hope this helps!

Wolf Owlhunter lvl 100

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I have fought the loremaster for over two months now -- many, many times. Still not a single spell from her. The drop rate is utterly pathetic and extremely frustrating.

This is currently my biggest peeve with the game. Low drop rates (here and elsewhere) are a real downer, a bore, and bad customer relations with a loyal fan base. Some of us are getting less and less loyal, due to things like this, which show what seems to be an increasingly stingy and money-grabbing side to the game makers. There is absolutely no need for such a pathetically low drop rate.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:
I have fought the loremaster for over two months now -- many, many times. Still not a single spell from her. The drop rate is utterly pathetic and extremely frustrating.

This is currently my biggest peeve with the game. Low drop rates (here and elsewhere) are a real downer, a bore, and bad customer relations with a loyal fan base. Some of us are getting less and less loyal, due to things like this, which show what seems to be an increasingly stingy and money-grabbing side to the game makers. There is absolutely no need for such a pathetically low drop rate.
There is, because it's supposed to be hard. Loremaster USED to not exist; you would have to buy packs to get spells. Then there was crafting available, but you needed approximately 1.53 metric craptons of rare reagents. Now you can farm the loremaster for the TCs you need, or get the spell outright from her. If you don't want the spell enough, then don't get it. Simple.

Survivor
May 31, 2014
scarlet night on Jun 5, 2014 wrote:
I have fought and won loremaster over 50 times, but i still don't have a single spell from her! Did it take this long for anyone else?

Andrea DragonTamer
level 68 ,, , &
Let's just say luck is not in your favor. Of course, most of the time, the same thing happens to other people. Just persevere, and keep on trying. If you give up, then you can just craft the spells :P

Explorer
Jun 06, 2013
I farmed her for a week straight before Christmas and got some spells on different chars but haven't tried lately. She does drop them though.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Robobot1747 on Jun 7, 2014 wrote:
There is, because it's supposed to be hard. Loremaster USED to not exist; you would have to buy packs to get spells. Then there was crafting available, but you needed approximately 1.53 metric craptons of rare reagents. Now you can farm the loremaster for the TCs you need, or get the spell outright from her. If you don't want the spell enough, then don't get it. Simple.
What a load of rubbish!

If I didn't want the spell, I would not have started farming. But two months, two players, many, many runs, and no spells -- that is ridiculous. That is an excessively stingy drop rate, and an insult to loyal customers.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
What a load of rubbish!

If I didn't want the spell, I would not have started farming. But two months, two players, many, many runs, and no spells -- that is ridiculous. That is an excessively stingy drop rate, and an insult to loyal customers.
It's the exact opposite of an insult, it's a slightly easier way to get the spell. There are 3 ways to get lore spells:
Buy a lot of packs and hope for the best. (Will take a lot of crowns)
Gather up a lot of amber and sunstones, and get 6 treasure cards. (Enjoy your farming good sir)
Fight the Loremaster for TC versions of the spell, or hit the jackpot and get it, no crafting required.
The logical leap to see that as an insult could get you into space.
Besides, lore spells are not needed for play, you just want them. The only spell that's a pseudo-need is Deer Knight for Death, and Scarecrow still works. If the spell isn't worth the work you're putting in to get it, then just stop trying.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Robobot1747 on Jun 16, 2014 wrote:
It's the exact opposite of an insult, it's a slightly easier way to get the spell. There are 3 ways to get lore spells:
Buy a lot of packs and hope for the best. (Will take a lot of crowns)
Gather up a lot of amber and sunstones, and get 6 treasure cards. (Enjoy your farming good sir)
Fight the Loremaster for TC versions of the spell, or hit the jackpot and get it, no crafting required.
The logical leap to see that as an insult could get you into space.
Besides, lore spells are not needed for play, you just want them. The only spell that's a pseudo-need is Deer Knight for Death, and Scarecrow still works. If the spell isn't worth the work you're putting in to get it, then just stop trying.
Please stop giving the patronizing "stop trying/don' get it" comments. It is fine for you to disagree with me; it is neither requested nor wanted that you tell me what you think I should do. Those kinds of comments do nothing to further the conversation; they are simply inflammatory remarks.

My "rubbish" comment was also beyond the line and not helpful, so I apologize for that.

I have been playing the game for years, and I am fully aware of what the options for getting the spells are. You might even notice that I have been more active on the boards than you have.

I think that the drop rate is too low, is stingy, and that it should be raised. I think in general, KI has stingy drop rates -- with the Loremaster, in Aquila, lots of places. I do not think it is appropriate to expect people to run dungeons hundreds of times to get good rewards. Some of us also have real-life responsibilities so we don't have endless hours to devote to farming. The chances with the packs are not much better -- but those cost money as well, which is even worse. Of course crafting is also an option -- though amber and sunstones are notoriously difficult materials to get as well. In all of the above cases, I think they have made the acquisition of these spells too difficult. There are others who agree with my opinion as well, as there have been multiple threads along these lines.

If you think it is fine the way it is, then we disagree. You are entitled to your opinion; I am entitled to mine. But please don't go beyond that to throw in the unsolicited and unwelcome ending advice.

Defender
May 23, 2009
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:

"There is absolutely no need for such a pathetically drop rate."

What kind of game would this be, if there are was no challenge involved?

I am an adult player with no kids, so I have plenty of time to do things I want after I came from work. Getting a spell drop from the loremaster would be very rewarding knowing my determination would kick in because of the "low drop rate."

Also, there is a really nice route for sandstones to help you craft sunstones and eventually the spell you wanted in Savannah, ZF.

Just need a dose of patience there, Finn.

Grace Skullshade, Level 100 Necromancer
Mycin Skullshade, Level 97 Conjurer
Destiny Skullshade, Level 90 Sorcerer
Jose Skullshade, Level 61 Diviner
Valerian Skullshade, Level 15 Theurgist

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I haven't seen anyone asking for "no challenge involved" I wouldn't mind higher challenge in terms of difficulty, but that's a far cry from doing a fight or an entire dungeon hundreds of times for no reward.

Spell drops from Loremaster, among other things seem to have gone down sometime last year, and they were never high. I am a pretty dedicated farmer but it's getting crazy to even bother. If I knew every fight got me closer to my goal I'd keep at it, but it is starting to feel like wasted time.

Squire
May 10, 2013
FinnAgainWindrider on Jun 16, 2014 wrote:
Please stop giving the patronizing "stop trying/don' get it" comments. It is fine for you to disagree with me; it is neither requested nor wanted that you tell me what you think I should do. Those kinds of comments do nothing to further the conversation; they are simply inflammatory remarks.

My "rubbish" comment was also beyond the line and not helpful, so I apologize for that.

I have been playing the game for years, and I am fully aware of what the options for getting the spells are. You might even notice that I have been more active on the boards than you have.

I think that the drop rate is too low, is stingy, and that it should be raised. I think in general, KI has stingy drop rates -- with the Loremaster, in Aquila, lots of places. I do not think it is appropriate to expect people to run dungeons hundreds of times to get good rewards. Some of us also have real-life responsibilities so we don't have endless hours to devote to farming. The chances with the packs are not much better -- but those cost money as well, which is even worse. Of course crafting is also an option -- though amber and sunstones are notoriously difficult materials to get as well. In all of the above cases, I think they have made the acquisition of these spells too difficult. There are others who agree with my opinion as well, as there have been multiple threads along these lines.

If you think it is fine the way it is, then we disagree. You are entitled to your opinion; I am entitled to mine. But please don't go beyond that to throw in the unsolicited and unwelcome ending advice.
Okay. Now you 2 are just fighting.

Just because you disagree with each other is okay, so we don't cause a feud.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
PlayHard101 on Jun 20, 2014 wrote:
Okay. Now you 2 are just fighting.

Just because you disagree with each other is okay, so we don't cause a feud.
Well, that is basically what the post you quoted also said.

I apologized for going overboard with my own comment, said it was fine for us to disagree, and asked him also not to go overboard with his comments.

Since then, neither of us has had more to say on the matter.

However, if the tenor of my statements was still upsetting to you, then I apologize to you too!

Survivor
Jan 29, 2012
I'm sorry but I must agree with all those in favour of the Loremaster drop rate being ridiculously LOW! I have been trying for months like nearly using all my computer time trying to get ONE spell! It is outrageous and the drop rate should significantly higher, perhaps 1:1000 or 1:100? And if not lower the drop rate, perhaps the spell tags she does drop matches the school of the wizard receiving it. That way, it is more fair, and players would be a lot happier. Trust me...

Kind Regards
Liam Sunleaf

Explorer
Jun 08, 2012
I have fought her over a 1000 times, at least. I been farming her for the LoreMaster TC(I need it to craft a wand). I farm for 4-7 hours a day for the past month, nothing, no spell, no LoreMaster TC.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2013
I got a spell the very first time I played the Loremaster, and since then I've gotten two more. But I have farmed her several hundred times to get them, and I've been as frustrated as anyone else. I'm not complaining, though, if only because I know it can happen, and I have gotten some good TCs.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Shayden181 on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
I have fought her over a 1000 times, at least. I been farming her for the LoreMaster TC(I need it to craft a wand). I farm for 4-7 hours a day for the past month, nothing, no spell, no LoreMaster TC.
I don't know what the drop rate is -- too many people on W101 make up numbers to rely on any third party.

Show me the test records where you tracked your 10,217 battles and got 10 drops (obviously switching characters every time you got the spell), and I'll buy your .1% statistic. Until then, it's like every other W101 urban legend -- untrustable, and probably incorrect.

Regardless, I will admit, some of the drop rates seem a bit low. But what I've observed suggests KI does not choose its drop rates arbitrarily. They've even announced adjusting them when things were too hard or too easy to get. So they're not oblivious.

The simple truth is that you bore your customers if things are too easy, bore or frustrate them if things are too hard, and studies have shown that you drastically improve their sense of reward if the actual success rate is random.

There's a lot of space to swim in with those simple boundries, and people are very likely to have widely varying opinions on what is enough, too much, not enough, etc.

Make a less emotional request of KI and you might get a polite response -- you might even help fabricate change. But a complaint with a strong emotive element will, in my experience, generally be ignored.

I share your frustration at times. But I'm not on the design committee, and my $6/mo is a mere spit in the bucket of their income -- my scope of influence is largely insignificant, unless I can encourage someone inside the walls to champion my cause.

Emotional diatribes, in my experience, do not attract many champions.

I've seen one person get all three bits of gear plus a Mastery Amulet on their Water Works debut.
Another friend took 82 runs to get all three pieces.
I averaged one drop every four runs, and with two doubles, got my last bit on the 20th run exactly.
Over 2,200 runs in Water Works and over 800 in Helephant -- no Storm Mastery Amulet.
Friend ran Mirror Lake from May to December, at least six times per day, trying to get Sidhe Staff.
I gifted her one on Christmas.
She also ran four months trying to get a ring out of Gladiator. Just got it last night.
She has the absolute worst in gear Karma. I think she stole a president's jacket in a former life or something.

It's just luck. And they have decided what they want the drop rate to be. If you want to get the drop rate changed, a valid and well-reasoned argument will likely be required. Or get hired by KI and climb the corporate ladder until your scope of influence includes drop rates, then cause the change to happen.

If you're just venting the frustration of the downside of the random nature of the drop and the low drop rate -- understood. There are times I would gladly share that soapbox with you.

But in the end, the rate is the rate. Pay your dime and spin the wheel, or don't. It's totally your call.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Defender
Jan 13, 2013
Stephen EarthMende... on Jun 23, 2014 wrote:
I don't know what the drop rate is -- too many people on W101 make up numbers to rely on any third party.

Show me the test records where you tracked your 10,217 battles and got 10 drops (obviously switching characters every time you got the spell), and I'll buy your .1% statistic. Until then, it's like every other W101 urban legend -- untrustable, and probably incorrect.

Regardless, I will admit, some of the drop rates seem a bit low. But what I've observed suggests KI does not choose its drop rates arbitrarily. They've even announced adjusting them when things were too hard or too easy to get. So they're not oblivious.

The simple truth is that you bore your customers if things are too easy, bore or frustrate them if things are too hard, and studies have shown that you drastically improve their sense of reward if the actual success rate is random.

There's a lot of space to swim in with those simple boundries, and people are very likely to have widely varying opinions on what is enough, too much, not enough, etc.

Make a less emotional request of KI and you might get a polite response -- you might even help fabricate change. But a complaint with a strong emotive element will, in my experience, generally be ignored.

I share your frustration at times. But I'm not on the design committee, and my $6/mo is a mere spit in the bucket of their income -- my scope of influence is largely insignificant, unless I can encourage someone inside the walls to champion my cause.

Emotional diatribes, in my experience, do not attract many champions.

I've seen one person get all three bits of gear plus a Mastery Amulet on their Water Works debut.
Another friend took 82 runs to get all three pieces.
I averaged one drop every four runs, and with two doubles, got my last bit on the 20th run exactly.
Over 2,200 runs in Water Works and over 800 in Helephant -- no Storm Mastery Amulet.
Friend ran Mirror Lake from May to December, at least six times per day, trying to get Sidhe Staff.
I gifted her one on Christmas.
She also ran four months trying to get a ring out of Gladiator. Just got it last night.
She has the absolute worst in gear Karma. I think she stole a president's jacket in a former life or something.

It's just luck. And they have decided what they want the drop rate to be. If you want to get the drop rate changed, a valid and well-reasoned argument will likely be required. Or get hired by KI and climb the corporate ladder until your scope of influence includes drop rates, then cause the change to happen.

If you're just venting the frustration of the downside of the random nature of the drop and the low drop rate -- understood. There are times I would gladly share that soapbox with you.

But in the end, the rate is the rate. Pay your dime and spin the wheel, or don't. It's totally your call.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm
100% Agreed.