Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

thoughts on all the new "improvements"!

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
not sure why im just now getting around to posting this, but as a long time member of the community, i feel i have the right to say it! there a few key things i have NOT ever agreed with! first thing has been as long as dragonspyre: all that storm accuracy. storm is meant to be low accuracy but high damage; it is actually supposed to have the lowest accuracy in the game! now after they get to a certain level it is the MOST accurate school in the game! i can see giving some accuracy boost to them but 98+%? youve got to be kidding me (same with fire)! another thing was that critical hit rate. i dont really think a chance of critical hits has a place in a turn based game. it was to big of a change and it does not fit in with the mechanics of the game. i also did not like pierce, it gives no reason for resistance. i would rather do without it, but at least it could be better if it wasnt so easy to get so much of it! with shadow shrike you can get over 100% and they shouldnt convert extra pierce to boost. its bad for other schools that have much lower resistance. that brings me to the shadow spells, which is yet another added on mistake. shadow shrike is really the only useful one, which i suspect was added in to counter the overboard resistance of ice! its these add-ons that ruin the game for me, and kingsisle right now is not showing any signs of stopping! the game was funner in its earlier days!!!

Historian
May 06, 2009
Emperor of Life on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
not sure why im just now getting around to posting this, but as a long time member of the community, i feel i have the right to say it! there a few key things i have NOT ever agreed with! first thing has been as long as dragonspyre: all that storm accuracy. storm is meant to be low accuracy but high damage; it is actually supposed to have the lowest accuracy in the game! now after they get to a certain level it is the MOST accurate school in the game! i can see giving some accuracy boost to them but 98+%? youve got to be kidding me (same with fire)! another thing was that critical hit rate. i dont really think a chance of critical hits has a place in a turn based game. it was to big of a change and it does not fit in with the mechanics of the game. i also did not like pierce, it gives no reason for resistance. i would rather do without it, but at least it could be better if it wasnt so easy to get so much of it! with shadow shrike you can get over 100% and they shouldnt convert extra pierce to boost. its bad for other schools that have much lower resistance. that brings me to the shadow spells, which is yet another added on mistake. shadow shrike is really the only useful one, which i suspect was added in to counter the overboard resistance of ice! its these add-ons that ruin the game for me, and kingsisle right now is not showing any signs of stopping! the game was funner in its earlier days!!!
I don't agree with a majority of things you've stated within your post.

"storm is meant to be low accuracy but high damage; it is actually supposed to have the lowest accuracy in the game! now after they get to a certain level it is the MOST accurate school in the game! i can see giving some accuracy boost to them but 98+%? youve got to be kidding me (same with fire)!"
I, personally, don't care for Storm. However, they still maintain spells with 70% Accuracy. Getting gear to get more accuracy is not hard and a better chose for those of lower accuracy. 98% is very outlandish, though, and I've never seen anyone try to come up with that much. I don't think this much accuracy can come from gear sets, especially Storm's. Maybe it was a comibination of universal gear sets, and not Storm Only sets.

"another thing was that critical hit rate. i dont really think a chance of critical hits has a place in a turn based game. it was to big of a change and it does not fit in with the mechanics of the game."
I'm in favor of Critical and Block. I've always felt they added a new element of play style in the game and I rather enjoy that. I'm more partial to Block then Critical. The only thing I could see needing adjusting is the Rating system. It confuses a lot of Wizards and would be a better in a percentage range. But change is change. If you can't take the heat, stay outa the kitchen.

"i also did not like pierce, it gives no reason for resistance. i would rather do without it, but at least it could be better if it wasnt so easy to get so much of it!"
Pierce came out around Zafaria was a very insignificant feature. I'm neutral on Pierce, honestly. I think it can be very handy and a good stat, but with enough defense, it can still limited.

"with shadow shrike you can get over 100% and they shouldnt convert extra pierce to boost. its bad for other schools that have much lower resistance. that brings me to the shadow spells, which is yet another added on mistake. shadow shrike is really the only useful one, which i suspect was added in to counter the overboard resistance of ice!"
This is from Professor Falmea's Producer's Letter:
"We believe that the introduction of Shadow Magic, along with some other balance changes, will find the combat pendulum swinging back the other way. We found that battles seemed to be getting longer and longer, and we wanted to take steps to return to more fast-paced, thrilling combat, rather than a competition of who has the most resistance and can last the longest."
I don't believe this is at all about Ice's resistance, but they are 1 school to be majorly effected by Shadow Shrike. KI is trying to move to more fast-paced battles because as we grow past Level 100+ battles will get longer, and KI is taking all the steps to keep in a short, fair battle style. Also, please distinguish between Shadow Shrike and Shadow Magic in general. Not all of them are game-changers like Shadow Shrike.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012
Emperor of Life on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
Critical and Critical Block are both things involving strategy, so is pierce. Besides, if they've been around since Celestia, it's not gonna change. Shadow Spells require thought to use, which is strategy, and besides, there will be more Shadow Magic, so maybe we'll get something really good.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I agree except with the Shadow Magic comment, while I do believe it could be better, it's better than critical and the odd-accuracy thing (glad to know I'm not the only one bothered by it).