Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

My Side of the Story

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 22, 2013
I want to talk about jumping into a fight without asking. I know this is a problem that irritates a lot of people. First off, I want to say that I think it is very rude to jump into a fight and then flee. This leaves the other player with more monsters to fight, and a bigger challenge that they probably didn't want. But there is one thing I don't think should be considered rude. When a higher level player joins the fight and doesn't ask or forgets to ask, and if they stay in the fight to help with any remaining or new monsters. Some of you would prefer if people did, but players who are planning on staying to fight should not have to ask before joining. This is a MMO. You shouldn't be shunned for not asking to join a fight. I know that when I join a fight, I come prepared with the proper deck ready to fight the monsters in a battle.
Another thing I think is rude, is when the other people in the fight insult and torment the other player who joined the fight. This is something that happened to me. I was in Azteca, and I saw a fight with already a couple people in it. I needed to fight these enemies for a quest, so I jumped into the fight ready to face the monsters. Apparently, the fight was almost over, and then I brought another monster in. They got so mad, and they even used inappropriate words around the filter. I said I was sorry, but they just wouldn't stop yapping about how much they hated my presence their. After that fight was over. I stupidly joined another fight they started. The next round they fled the fight, leaving me with four monsters in one battle. Right before they fled, one of them said in the evilest way possible "have fun!" You need to understand that if you do get frustrated at someone for joining a fight without asking, keep it to yourself, and if you need to express it, express it on the message boards. One more thing. Some people need to realize that two wrongs don't make a right. It just makes the problem worse when another player tries to get some kind of revenge on the other. What helps is when both sides of a conflict can say sorry, forgive each other, and then move on.
I hope you all got something from what I've stated. Feel free to express any opinions on the topic. Thanks for you time :). See you in the Spiral!

Grace Silverdust Level 90

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
You do have a very good point.

Lots complain about people joining. I personally don't find much wrong with it as long as they stay.

I don't jump in without asking, because that's just me. But you are right, some people are rude if you join. As long as you stayed, there is no problem with it. I allow people to join, but get annoyed if they are under level or they leave.

I think people need to realize that there is no harm done if you:
Join and STAY
Are not under leveled

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
If you are properly prepared, leveled, and stay; heck if you are properly prepared and stay and fight I'm good. It's the unprepared and fleeing that I have the problem with. Regarding leaving you with 4 mobs I can't speak to their "vicious" nature, but I will say I have done it on 3 occasions to what I refer to as battle lumps; those who join and do nothing, are unprepared or have been joining and fleeing. I give them a 2 round warning and then flee if there is not a proper response.

Defender
Nov 17, 2012
Personally, I only fight "regular" enemies when it's for a quest. I welcome help with open arms because it will help me finish the quest faster. Four opponents? Half of the quest time! GREAT!

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Most of the time, I don't mind if people join without asking, if it is a person that can help (a level 2 can't help in Azteca) I accept whatever they can offer. My mob deck is only built for 2 enemies, so if they come in, they gotta kill the third one, cause I ain't gonna, unless I reshuffle or something...

Anywho, people joining and fleeing a battle is the real problem. Though I am not sure if it is too common, the last time it happened to me was in Mooshu, that I can remember, a solution to this "problem" is going to a less crowded realm, and even if you see someone there, more often then not they won't care what you're doing.

I agree that when you join a battle, you finish a battle. When I was in Zafaria, I logged off in the middle of a mob, and when I played I got automatically pulled in, the guy said, you better not flee, and I didn't, I stayed and helped them finish, no big deal, but some people join and flee like it's a sport.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
FrostKitty8160 on Sep 29, 2013 wrote:
I want to talk about jumping into a fight without asking. I know this is a problem that irritates a lot of people. First off, I want to say that I think it is very rude to jump into a fight and then flee. This leaves the other player with more monsters to fight, and a bigger challenge that they probably didn't want. But there is one thing I don't think should be considered rude. When a higher level player joins the fight and doesn't ask or forgets to ask, and if they stay in the fight to help with any remaining or new monsters. Some of you would prefer if people did, but players who are planning on staying to fight should not have to ask before joining. This is a MMO. You shouldn't be shunned for not asking to join a fight. I know that when I join a fight, I come prepared with the proper deck ready to fight the monsters in a battle.
Another thing I think is rude, is when the other people in the fight insult and torment the other player who joined the fight. This is something that happened to me. I was in Azteca, and I saw a fight with already a couple people in it. I needed to fight these enemies for a quest, so I jumped into the fight ready to face the monsters. Apparently, the fight was almost over, and then I brought another monster in. They got so mad, and they even used inappropriate words around the filter. I said I was sorry, but they just wouldn't stop yapping about how much they hated my presence their. After that fight was over. I stupidly joined another fight they started. The next round they fled the fight, leaving me with four monsters in one battle. Right before they fled, one of them said in the evilest way possible "have fun!" You need to understand that if you do get frustrated at someone for joining a fight without asking, keep it to yourself, and if you need to express it, express it on the message boards. One more thing. Some people need to realize that two wrongs don't make a right. It just makes the problem worse when another player tries to get some kind of revenge on the other. What helps is when both sides of a conflict can say sorry, forgive each other, and then move on.
I hope you all got something from what I've stated. Feel free to express any opinions on the topic. Thanks for you time :). See you in the Spiral!

I know how you feel I'm lvl 74, and some, and I was finishing up some minor quests in moo shu and I joined this girls fight,bringing in another enemy, she started using uh hmm inappropriate language. After the fight was done she got a few of her friends and Bada bing bada boom Four enemies to fight Yay! She didn't know I destroyed them and that actually helped me finish that pesky quest. However I was still mad Sophia Goldenleaf Level 74

Explorer
Dec 01, 2012
You're right. I find it VERY annoying when people join and then flee right away.

Explorer
Jun 04, 2011
Recently I was battling in Zaf, and two girls joined my battle. I was a little irked, since I was trying to SOLO it for a side quest. Honestly, it is at least polite to ask before joining a battle, even if you believe that you could truly help the soloist. I think that the wizard who you ask will not only feel better about having a sincere ally, but may also be saved the problem of having to battle an extra monster or two.

Also, PLEASE don't flee a battle after joining it. It is extremely rude and inconsiderate. Maybe you are thinking, "Hey, I will never see this wizard again, so big deal". But it is a big deal. Imagine being in the situation of the person who's battle you just fled.

Thanks, and remember, always be considerate to others,

Emmaline and Roslyn
Patience is Ice, Passion is Fire.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I disagree with the OP.

I am an adult~ I work long hours and have offline hobbies/relationships to maintain; therefore,
when I fight, I bring enough cards for me (and me only) to get stuff done as quickly as possible. I don't have cards or time to waste, especially not on someone who is disrespectful.

When you port to someone or join her battle without asking, you are disrupting her gaming experience and being extremely inconsiderate of that person's time... What if she was in a group and waiting for a friend to join, when you just barged in and took the last spot in the circle? Not only have you inconvenienced the person whose fight you joined, but you also prevented the other person from being able to get her quest done.

Yes, some people join the fight because they think they are helping. Others are just plain obnoxious, like the kid who joined my then-transcendent Balance wizard in Zafaria and demanded that I blade him: not please, not do you mind giving me a boost.... Just "give it to me". I told him no, and kept my blade for myself anyway.

My problem with uninvited circle-jumpers:

1) most of them are not of the required level to be in that area to begin with. I don't care if you have 5 prometheans on your account~ your level 30 does not belong in Azteca, and I will not sustain you. End of.

2) they will try and take control of the battle or demand things from me, not caring that I already have a strategy in place. If I started the battle and have done all or most of the work, then I call the shots. Not you.

If the person joining is of the appropriate level to be in that area and is polite/fully-prepared, then I will allow him to help. As soon as the begging and demanding starts, I will flee and switch realms... and you're on your own.

I do not join battles without asking, and I expect the same courtesy.

-v.

90 and
40 and

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
FrostKitty8160 on Sep 29, 2013 wrote:

when people flee its usually because they didn't mean to join the fight and fighting that mob would waste their time i don't say they should have to waste time because their finger slipped and joining a strangers fight on purpose without "asking" is something people should deal with in this game like you said this is a massive multliplayer online if you dont like strangers in your fight get a gaming console and avoid the internent

Survivor
Oct 20, 2012
Defender
Jul 10, 2009
I agree. I think that everyone should follow three rules when it comes to joining battles:

1. Don't join unless you can defeat the enemies

2. Don't flee (if there are other people, in the battle that it,)

3. Don't mess up people's strategies (wasting traps, etc)

4. Target the one you made join (see above)

5. Don't make unreasonable requests (if your in a battle with two ice people and say, "I need healing," then its not happening, period.)

Really, this is a matter of etiquette. I always find it kind of funny when people stand on the sidewalk right next to my battle and say, "May I join?" No, I'm only battling two, and making life intentionally hard for myself on purpose.

Haley MoonHeart, Archmage Thaumagture

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
Ok I'm on both sides of this. When I'm questing alone and have just gotten an enemy down to low health and am about to finish the fight, I don't appreciate when others join.. That being said those occasions are few and far between in the second arc and I appreciate when others join in the second arc so long as they can support themselves as well. If they are underleveled that's when I pull the rude card and flee because they will go down and take me with them. Otherwise I'll happily stay and duke it out with the other wizard. It really all depends on the situation imo but I can understand when people would get upset with others joining a fight, not to the extreme that the OP experienced.. but still it's understandable